LGS donor rifle for a build

Mississippihunting

Let me start by saying this is a first time attempt at a build on a budget research. Based on what I learn here I have two possible directions to go. I want a Quarter bore most likely a 25-06 and I have no magnums so a magnum is a possibility. Faster twist rate than factory barrels preferred.
Hunting and shooting steel primary use. Currently 200 yards is the max range but I am looking for a place to stretch it out further.

When you are looking for a donor gun/action:
What brand and model do you look for and why?
What price range are you willing to pay?
What barrel manufacturers pre-fit barrel falls into a budget build?
What else do you consider?
Thank you for your input.

Hey Bob, I hesitate to put a dollar figure on the project because it may drive the discussion into custom actions and so on. I have not set a budget at this point, hoping the results from these question will drive the cost question. I am not talking high end custom rifle but one to learn from and enjoy the process. Entry level build. I hope this doesn't stop the conversation. Thanks

For an entry level build, I don't think you can go wrong with a Remington 700. If you plan to invest in the tools, you can true the action and bolt face yourself. You could also use a Savage. If going with a Remington, you can go the RemAge route and buy a barrel, barrel nut, recoil lug. With go, no-go gauges you can assemble it yourself. This setup generally shoots very well. Mine do! Northland Shooters Supply has what you need to do it yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide! It just depends on how much you want to do. With a Savage action, just screw the nut off and install a new barrel. You will need the gauges either way.

The above are all good considerations.
Both Remington 700's I did were basic rebarrel, action truing work, stock, trigger replace. Figure $2000+ for that route with a donor action in hand.

Let me start by saying this is a first time attempt at a build on a budget research. Based on what I learn here I have two possible directions to go. I want a Quarter bore most likely a 25-06 and I have no magnums so a magnum is a possibility. Faster twist rate than factory barrels preferred.
Hunting and shooting steel primary use. Currently 200 yards is the max range but I am looking for a place to stretch it out further.

When you are looking for a donor gun/action:
What brand and model do you look for and why?
What price range are you willing to pay?
What barrel manufacturers pre-fit barrel falls into a budget build?
What else do you consider?
Thank you for your input.
I've been gathering components for a long action 300 WSM budget build. I bought a 2001 Winchester Model 70 Classic 300 Win Mag for the donor action, trigger, magazine, bottom metal. $850. I also bought a RUM magazine follower which I'll machine to fit the Win Mag magazine. I chose Winchester specifically for the CRF and I think they are a great action for the money. I figure I can get about $350 for the HS Precision stock and 26" SS Win Mag barrel which reduces my final cost. I'll have my GS true the receiver and bolt, and cut, thread, chamber, fit a 26" Bartlein carbon fiber barrel trued to the receiver. If I get $350 for the Win Mag stock and barrel, my trued barreled action with muzzle brake, trigger, magazine, and bottom metal will end up at about $200 over the cost of a Defiance CRF long action alone. There is no reason my finished rifle should not be capable of shooting 0.5 moa at ranges beyond 700 yds at total cost not more than $2,300 plus scope.

That's my plan.

I have one that started as a M700. I bet I have more money into it than I do into my full blown customs. You can go down some rabbit holes and by the time you've replaced everything but the action the difference in cost is only the difference between the donor rifle and a custom action. I won't go that route again.

I have done a few Savage's now, it's simple. Currently have 3 Barrels on order. I'm building triplets for my three kids. Only difference is one will be on a southpaw.

Savage actions are very forgiving. A couple basic tools and your off and shooting. The aftermarket stock options are getting pretty good, Manners offers a few models and MDT and XLR both offer chassis styles in both long and short action.

Barrel choices are huge for Savage. Probably the biggest for pre fits, but that is changing and will most likely even out.

Tikka is another solid choice and don't forget about Howa-Vanguard actions, pre fit market is growing for them too.

You mentioned not having a magnum and a good choice for a short action magnum(If you reload or have someone that can) my recommendation would be a 25 SST which is based off the 7mm SAUM case.
You could also do the 25 SAUM or 25 PRC.
You may already know about these cartridges, just trying to fill in the blanks

X-caliber has great barrels but you have to pick from their reamer list

Preferred Barrels has a huge selection of chambers and I have read great reviews,
They also have most of the Sherman reamers if you chose that route(25 SST).

You mentioned the 25-06 and if you went with the Ackley Improved, that's about as good as it vacant get in a long action without getting crazy.

This got a little windy, it's my passion. And I'm just cuttin' my teeth on the build thing. Funnest most stressful thing (read decisions) I've ever done. Well- 😅

I have one that started as a M700. I bet I have more money into it than I do into my full blown customs. You can go down some rabbit holes and by the time you've replaced everything but the action the difference in cost is only the difference between the donor rifle and a custom action. I won't go that route again.
There is some truth to this, but in I'd rather learn on a basic action. If I spent $975-$1400 on a custom action and it was my first one, I'd be afraid to mess it up.

If I do go with a custom it will be a Bighorn with changeable bolt heads, they share the same threads as a Savage so if multiple prefits were found during some huge sale I wouldn't be stuck with extra Savage pre fits.

In my case, I could sell the three Savage actions and the Tikka action I have and get pretty far along with one build, then my kids would be out a pretty nice gift and I'd not enjoy that fancy action, selfishness is one of my pet peeves.

I may get rid of that Tikka cause it's intended for my own build, but I doubt it. I'm only into it for $375.

Non of this is how it is for everyone, but it's how it is for me. There are folks in here that drop more for stocks or scopes than I spend on an entire build. And that's great, just not my turn yet😎

Thank you all for responding, I must admit I am at the bottom of the entry level with rifles. Savage 12 and ruger predators. I have a axis short action to build off of but it doesn't fit the bill, short action 243 so it will be a youth rifle for up and comers.

My local gun stores have used guns in the 300-500 range. Various long action and magnum cals.various manufacturers. Savage seam to be rare. Remington, Winchester, browning, and other stay on the rack a long time. Looking for experience in all brands, the good the bad the ugly. If buying a new axis is better for a entry level build, I'm good with that too.