lever action 44 Puma

couture11

I handled a lever action .44 Puma today and liked it. I think I need something like this. Don't intend to use it for hunting use target practice and maybe a little varmint elimination if the situation presents itself. I don't think I want a scope.

What can you guys recommend?

I have a Marlin in 44 mag and 357 and I have a Rossi puma and 454 casule, 44 mag and 357 mag. I would hands down by the Rossi in 357 mag 16 inch barrel perfect for what you described.

I have a Henry Goldenboy in 44, pre side load gate.
I also have a skinner peep and would love to shoot a bear, elk or deer at close range with it.
Can pretty much hit a ten inch steel plate at 100yds with a good rest every shot.
Sat in a stand waiting for a bear with it one year and had a small bear come in that I let walk.
**** I need to start bear hunting again!!

Ruger has reintroduced the 1894 Marlin in 44 Magnum , $1,239 msrp. That's a good rig there.

I have a win94 in 44 i really like shooting it but you have to remember it's still a pistol cartridge 😂😂

Sorry wasn't clear it's a 44mag.
I just meant to say as far as rifle cartridges go it's very underwhelming but it's still fun!
Just not like what I'm accustomed to in a rifle

If you go with 357 mag.....it REALLY comes alive in the longer barrels. I can hit 2100fps with a 158 grain projectiles from my 20" winchester. Its big, bad medicine on deer and black bear. The recoil is very mild. My wife and kids love it

I'd back the 357 over the 44 mag rossi all day long, especially in todays era of cartridge component shortages. I feed mine a diet of 158 grain tc cast lead bullets ahead of a pinch of Lovex D036 ignited by a small rifle primer, gets me about 900 fps. If I want magnum power double the dose of powder same primer and the bullets leave the 20" barrel at 1570 fps, if I want more I got 2400 powder that adds another 150 fps or so.
The first loads cost me, here in the uk, about the same as 22LR and on our local military range I can hit the charging grunt target every time at 100 yards with the first load using the lousy buckhorn sights.
FWIW the cost breakdown (in USD) per round is cases free, powder 2.5 cents, primer 3 cents so 5.5 cents per round the lead for the bullets is free. Good 22 lr (Aguila match) is around 12 cents a shot. I use Lee dies and presses. If I use magnum loads the powder costs double and a gas check adds about 2 cents so it's still comparable to 22 lr.
44 mag needs large pistol primers as LR won't fit, they are about 10 cents each over here, powder is at least 2.5 times more (6 cents?) so, for me, only marginally more expensive than 22 lr. I just won't buy LP primers at that price ($90 a 1000 last time I saw any for sale).
I have a new Lee mold for TL 158 swc which I will powder coat so they'll be marginally more expensive but not worth worrying about.