Leupold

Elk Crazy

I have the vx6hd but I wanted to switch to the mark 5 because I shoot long range but still hunt a lot too. I've never used the mark 5 just looked at it at Sportsman's. Do you guys think it'd be worth it to upgrade?

I have the vx6hd but I wanted to switch to the mark 5 because I shoot long range but still hunt a lot too.
The "hunt a lot too" comment would make me recommend the SFP VX5-VX6 line. You are what, 95% hunting and hit the LR range every once in a while? The SFP reticle is mandatory for a hunting gun in my opinion. Critter could pop out 50yds, or 500 and it will work. My long range scope of FFP reticles are only visible/usable at min of 15X . The reticle is too small for close range stuff at minimum powers.
I've never used the mark 5 just looked at it at Sportsman's. Do you guys think it'd be worth it to upgrade?
I demo a lot of scopes. While I really like the features of the VX5 and VX6 lines, I was rather disappointed with the Mark 5. Specifically, the FOV. Was like looking through a toilet paper tube compared to what I see out of a Burris, Bushnell, NF, Trijicon, practically all other LR scopes. A Burris XTR III has a monster FOV!

Last edited:
It really depends on your reticle and focal plane preference and the type of hunting you do. If you want illumination, the Mark 5's have it, but it's a pricey upgrade.
Another thing to note is that the illumination will change your reticle thickness, makes it thicker.I had one in pr1moa and it was horrible to be honest. Traded for a non illuminated version and it's soooo much better. It's not much of a difference on paper but real life, looking through the scope it's night and day. Love the scope but I'm pretty sure mines having an issue holding zero currently.

I have two. One is on a Bergara 6.5 cm which is non illuminated and one is on a 7mm Fierce which is illuminated.

I love them. I got tired of having crappy scopes and not being able to trust the tracking.

I have two. One is on a Bergara 6.5 cm which is non illuminated and one is on a 7mm Fierce which is illuminated.

I love them. I got tired of having crappy scopes and not being able to trust the tracking.
Yeah that's how I felt before I got this scope and I'll never go back to a cheap scope. The vx6hd was 1900 but it was definitely worth it. How do you like your fierce I want to get a carbon rival so bad