Leupold...

Too Tall Rosenwald

I have a Vari XIII in 6.5-20x40, that I bought new in '82. The first rifle I put it was a pre '64 .30-06. I carried around that rifle for about 6 years, then I pulled the scope and installed it on a .22-250.

It was on the 'Coyote' rifle for about 10 years, with a lot of scabbard use.
Then I gave the rifle to my Daughter, with open sights, to use.
So I put the scope on a 7 mag, in a Model 700, that was 1st year production, for a few years.

Then I decided to put it on a .223 WSSM, but had too many irons in the fire, and just got the barrel broke in.

So I thought I would send it back to Leupold to have the reticule changed to TMR, and a target knob installed on the elevation turret.

Then I would install it on the .300 WSM that Chris (LSR) made for me. And work on the drop chart.

Last night Leupold called me and said the threads on the elevation turret are damaged, and they are giving me a new scope, under Warranty.

Got to hand it to Leupold for their service.

I had a var2 3-9, that my Dad gave me. It was off his home made 300WM, HE had it for years,then it went on my first gun,243, then my second 7mmRM, THEN MY third 340wm. Then one day I was hunting and it looked a little foggy, sent it in,told them how I got scope, Now it is on my sons hand me down 243. Fixed N/C

I hear a lot of people criticising Leupold and/or comparing and looking for alternatives.

There are a lot more good choices now days than in years past.

But, I have to admit that I have always received good products and service from them.

They stand behind the product and they'll be here next year and the year after...

I think most people mean well when they tell you another scope is as good as Leupold, I'm just not sure they really know. I read for years Nikon was just as good and while the are a pretty fair scope they really can hold a candle to Leupold.

I found a few lab test that compared the quaility of glass, coatings, dropped them, drowned them, ect. While Leupold didn't place first none of the "as good as" even made the list.

It is good to hear these stories but they dont surprise me in the least. A lot of people want Leupold quality but they dont want to pay the price. There are no free lunches in this world and you get what you pay for. I guess the one thing that some dont get is value for your dollar. On that score, NOBODY even comes close to Leupold.

Oh, and it it Leupold, NOT LOOPY!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.