Leupold VX6HD vs Zeiss Conquest V6

JesseJames

Hello,

Looking for a relatively light weight scope for my 300WSM that I had built on a M70 action. It is a little lighter gun I had built to take out Elk hunting in the mountains. I am also thinking of having a 6.5 Gap 4S barrel put on to use most of the time around ND. I am looking at the 3-18X50 mm scopes. I have it narrowed down to the Leupold VX6 hd, and the Zeiss Conquest V6. I am not as concerned about which one has better glass, as I think they will be pretty comparable. I am more interested in a scope that will reliably (accurately) dial for elevation repeatedly. Which one do you guys think would be better? Thanks, Travis.

Last edited:
If the coatings are no better than the Zeiss Conquest HD 5-26X50 its low light characteristics are terrible. When I compared it with three other good scopes it went down 12 minutes before they did. They all have 50 or 52mm objectives. If you can handle a 56mm objective the VX-5 3-15X56 beat them all by 6 minutes. And on the optics chart it did just as well as they did when they were set on 15X. It has become my second favorite scope. It weighs 21.9 ounces. The Zeiss weighs 22.7 ounces.

The turrets on my V6 conquest are some of the best I have dialed. They feel great and dial correctly as well as returning to zero every time so far. I have had it on a light 30 Nosler and a light 6.5 creed that needs 22 MOA at 1000 and it has been spot on.

Glass is better on the Leupold but if that doesnt matter the Zeiss will make you smile

The turrets on my V6 conquest are some of the best I have dialed. They feel great and dial correctly as well as returning to zero every time so far. I have had it on a light 30 Nosler and a light 6.5 creed that needs 22 MOA at 1000 and it has been spot on.

Glass is better on the Leupold but if that doesnt matter the Zeiss will make you smile

I actually think the glass is better on the Zeiss. Zeiss did a really great job upgrading the HD5. You get the same glass on its Victory line. Turrets feel great, 30 mm tube. And finally offering a nice reticle that you can use.

I have a V6 5-30x50 sample mounted on a 243 I've been playing with. So far, it has dialed up and down perfectly (I am using Strelok to calculate elevation).

Yes, I considered the lighter 2-10 power Night Force. I like the 2 NXS scopes that I have, but I need something lighter on this rifle. I would like a little more magnification than 10X, which is why I am looking at these 2 scopes. Right now I am leaning towards the Zeiss.

Have you thought of a Swarovski?? You can get a Z5 for less than the Zeiss or Leupold models you're looking at. I own a Z5, and I also own Zeiss, Leupold, and a couple of NF's. The glass on the Z5 is the best, and the scope is light. I have it on my dedicated elk/mountain rifle which is a 300 WSM. It's a great hunting scope. I have the 5-25x56 BT with the 4W reticle. It's perfect for me.

Have you thought of a Swarovski?? You can get a Z5 for less than the Zeiss or Leupold models you're looking at. I own a Z5, and I also own Zeiss, Leupold, and a couple of NF's. The glass on the Z5 is the best, and the scope is light. I have it on my dedicated elk/mountain rifle which is a 300 WSM. It's a great hunting scope. I have the 5-25x56 BT with the 4W reticle. It's perfect for me.

Your z5 is a freak. I had four and none were even close to the Nightforce I had.

Did you use an optic chart or something else to compare them?
No. Just looked through them all on the guns they are mounted on when I was shooting them. This was done at different times of day over multiple outings. It's just how it seemed to me. I could be totally wrong, but, to my eyes, the Z5 was just a little better. Like I said, it's splitting hairs

I like splitting hairs.:) When I compared my z5, 6500, and VX-6 they were all really close. What surprised me was when I looked through the VX-6. They all have very good glass, but the colors in the VX-6 are more vibrant. None could match the Nightforce 12-42X56 for resolving detail, though. It needs only 12X for me to see the same detail the other three need 15 1/2 - 16X to see!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.