LEUPOLD VX6HD FRUSTRATION!!!!

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I wish I could say it was a unique experience. This is why I use a Tangent Theta on every rifle I take seriously, and why they are the only brand we sell.

I read you have it all taken care of, otherwise I'd have loaned you a TT315M for your hunt. Glad you're squared away.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Appreciate the very generous offer thank you. In the end it all worked out but after A LOT of frustration and stress along the way. Not sure what direction I'll go in the future yet??

Wow, I never thought this thread would still be going. Figured I'd send a quick update. In the end everything worked out. I committed and only took 1 rifle on my hunt and it was topped with my backup VX6HD 3-18x50 TMOA. On day 4, I dialed out to 640 yards and dropped a great bull with one shot. 3 days later I dialed out to 510 yards and dropped a nice antelope with one shot. So after all the aggravation and frustration the scope worked well and I was able to make 2 good shots. I have not shot it anymore other than that.

First thing I did when I returned home was ship the VX6HD 4-24x52 TMOA back to Leupold warranty service. We'll see what they say.

I'm glad everything worked out in the end, but man I had some serious stress there just prior to leaving with my original glass, it actually took away from a lot of the anticipation of the hunt fun. I'm almost as upset at how many/much rounds, components, and time I "wasted" figuring this mess out. Maybe a good learning experience?? I agree with what someone said… Leupold is a great set it and forget it piece of glass. I have used their scopes in this fashion for decades without issue. However, when it comes to twisting turrets and long range dialing, I'm not sure I'll ever go that direction again after this experience. I would gladly take a few more ounces of weight to have 100% confidence in my glass, so maybe I'll take a look at the NF products… we shall see. Thanks for all the comments and experiences, maybe this thread will help someone in the future who wants to rip all their hair out in frustration as bad as I did.

Agreed x100!!!
Yes ! I shot my 6.5x47 was at 1,400 yards and everything was good if the wind didn't shift(~45 MOA up and 3.75 wind) then dialed back to zero and shot at 100 yards and the 1st shot was ~1.5 inches low at 7 o'clock,(WHAT ?? this gun is my go to, always solid hunting rifle) 2nd shot about another inch the same direction, 3rd shot even more left. Something is loose, check everything and it is tight. The next 3 shots go into a group that is more characteristic of the rifle but even lower. That was the end of that session as that was the last of the ammo I had, same batch, same brass, bullets, powder,, proven load, etc. I assume something came loose internally with all the dialing and it did not return to zero. That was all the ammo I had so that was where it ended. I've seen scopes loose their zero but never progressively walk that far off then settle.
Scope is a March 2.5-25x52 and had been solid until now. It's hunting season and I probably won't shoot that rifle again until next year.
scope2.jpg

Yes ! I shot my 6.5x47 was at 1,400 yards and everything was good if the wind didn't shift(~45 MOA up and 3.75 wind) then dialed back to zero and shot at 100 yards and the 1st shot was ~1.5 inches low at 7 o'clock,(WHAT ?? this gun is my go to, always solid hunting rifle) 2nd shot about another inch the same direction, 3rd shot even more left. Something is loose, check everything and it is tight. The next 3 shots go into a group that is more characteristic of the rifle but even lower. That was the end of that session as that was the last of the ammo I had, same batch, same brass, bullets, powder,, proven load, etc. I assume something came loose internally with all the dialing and it did not return to zero. That was all the ammo I had so that was where it ended. I've seen scopes loose their zero but never progressively walk that far off then settle.
Scope is a March 2.5-25x52 and had been solid until now. It's hunting season and I probably won't shoot that rifle again until next year.View attachment 406726
Like someone said... wouldn't it be nice if the lenses just fell out when something internally breaks?? These progressive failures are enough to drive a guy crazy!!

And regardless of the brand, I've found it pays to have a backup in case something happens just before a hunt
I never have and never will go on any hunting trip be it one hour or 2k miles from home without a back up rifle or shotgun.
Only ever used a back up rifle once. Was on a WY elk hunt. One week bow hunting 10 days of rifle hunting. Day before rifle opener tested our rifles zero. One 100 yard group then one at 400. My M700 338wm with a VariX-III 4-12x40 was sub MOA at both distances, friends M77 also OK. Other friends 338wm M116 WW wasn't even on paper at 100. Examined his scope found a significant ding on the housing of his front ocular bell. Despite best efforts and 15 rounds later no dice. Broke out my back up rifle another M116 WW in 7mmSTW also with a VariX-III 4-12x40 and it was still dead on at 100 and 400. That load was pushing a 160grn NPT and 3150/MV. He got himself a fine 5x5 that barely went 25 yards after the shot.

Also had a shogun fail me on an OOS pheasant hunting trip as well as a friends Benelli SBE failed him. Both times we used my old faithful Remington 870 Wingmaster as a back up gun saved our hunting trip.
I never go hunting without a backup gun.
On a purely backpack hunt unless the weight is just not allowable I bring a back up scope.

I'm a dyed in wool Leupold guy and have only had 2 scopes I had to send back... one off my RWS pellet rifle (knocked a lens loose; Leupold fixed and requested that I not use their scopes on a springer pellet rifle!) and a fixed 4x off my Contender 30-30 barrel that had a brass looking washer rolling around in the scope but that didn't have any effect on zero! They fixed it and sent it back, goid as new.

I think the bottom line is, if you can find a brand of scope that has never had to have at least one sent back because something went wrong, then pay whatever they are asking for it and hope you're not the first one to have something go haywire with it! Mechanical stuff breaks, it's a fact of life. All you can do is hope it doesn't happen on that hunt of a life time!
Cheers,
crkckr

Took the vertical turret cap off last night and compared the position of the zeroed turret stem to a photo of it I took when I initially zeroed the rifle 80 rounds ago. It was in the same position or very close from what I could tell. So the stem did not move. Since I was 4.5" low at 200yds I adjusted the stem 9 clicks up which put it in a very different position that's not even close to where it was previously zeroed. I put the cap back on and made sure the 3 set screws were tight.

Short on time but made a quick first light visit to the range again this morning. Shot 200yds, adjusted zero confirmed as I was spot on. There was some wind but I dialed vertical out to 600 yards at 300, 400, 500 and 600 based on my original DOPE and it held much better than it has the last week and a half and made some solid sense again. Went back to 200 to confirm zero with only one round left and it was still on or at least close.

So I have no idea if the scope just won't hold a zero without touching the turrets or if it won't go back to zero after dialing the vertical turret?? I fired around 100 rounds during break in and load development without ever touching the turret stem or twisting turrets even once after I was on paper and I never lost zero (at least not 2.1MOA's worth). It started happening when I started shooting longer distance and dialing. But the stem is now in about a 12% different position at a 200yd zero than it was previously, so something changed after about 80-100 rounds and/or after I started dialing.

If I have time I might shoot another vertical tall target test, but what I'm thinking is it took around 80-100 fired rounds for POI to drop 4.5". After I confirmed zero today, I had 14 rounds that held close to my original DOPE so whatever the issue is it seems to happen in very minor increments over time. Hoping I can confirm zero at 200 and be good to go for one hunt next week and then send the scope back to Leupold.
Meanwhile, you've burned out the barrel of your new rifle, just trying to solve your scope problem.
Do you have a backup rifle? 😜

I personally own more than thirty Leupold scopes. A couple of Zeiss, Saworski and one Night Force. The only iussues with the leupolds have been self inflicted damage which Leupold fixed promptly at no cost. I personally know two former (combat) military snipers and their guns were always equiped with high end Leupolds...I would be interest in knowing what current Military sniper issue is? My son's LEO snipers are also useing Leupold.

I personally own more than thirty Leupold scopes. A couple of Zeiss, Saworski and one Night Force. The only iussues with the leupolds have been self inflicted damage which Leupold fixed promptly at no cost. I personally know two former (combat) military snipers and their guns were always equiped with high end Leupolds...I would be interest in knowing what current Military sniper issue is? My son's LEO snipers are also useing Leupold.
Unfortunately, that level of tracking quality apparently doesn't make its way to their normal product line

I work for a large defense contractor, who delivers HW to the gov.

As such, we have rigorous testing and specifications we must meet.

That means Leupold isn't grabbing scopes off the shelves and delivering them to the gov, and possibly law enforcement.

The scopes they get are tested to tight specs, and/or hand built to meet said specs.

What we consumers get, and what gov gets are apples and oranges apart.

I use my Leupis as set and forget. They work fine. That is after I have to go thru the leupi 2 step to get the rifles sighted in......

They need to get their mechanical "stuff" together.

I stand by my op....they track like Stevie Wonder

Last edited:
For example... my Wby backcountry 280ai is a sub half moa shooter with 160ab.

It wears a Vortex Razor lht.

After I worked up the load, I needed to dial it in. Made the adjustments, 1 shot, exactly where I wanted it.

Shot couple more, half moa, done.

Leupi ordeal is make an adjustment, shoot again, then again to see where it settles, then make more adjustments as needed....rinse and repeat. Leupi 2 step.

Honestly really got tired of it, and have been buying Swaros, Ziess Conquests and Vortex for my rifles.

YMMV.....

Never a problem with various Leupold VX3 series. Have not tried newer versions. I have a few older Bauch & Lomb and Bushnell 4200 Elite scopes. Never an issue either. Several Burris scopes have never failed. My Nikons, all solid. The only 2 scope failures ever were old Bushnell Sport Views. These were low end, but what I could afford back then. Both had been on multiple caliber guns. Both had the same failure, horizontal crosshairs broke. Both were on .22 rimfires when they finally failed. Both replaced Bushnell. I shoot a lot, and a lot of calibers. I guess the optics gods smile on me. (knock on wood).

Recent Posts