LEUPOLD VX6HD FRUSTRATION!!!!

I bounced my rifle out of the back of my Mule Saturday evening on the way to the deer stand. I didn't know the gun was missing until I stopped to walk in. I back-tracked and found it (hardpack road in the back of the field), opened the case (basic soft sided case) and inspected for obvious damage. At that point I had two options- go back to the truck and get the backup .243, or continue to the stand. I chose the latter. I didn't shoot it Saturday. Yesterday, I put it on the bench and it hadn't lost its zero. I put about 20 rds through it bf I went home. Based on where the gun was found in relation to the track through the field, that gun took a pretty good tumble. N=1 and my story is anecdotal, but I've owned this scope for three years and it hasn't let me down. It hasn't been dialed beyond 700yds, but it's had several hundred rounds underneath (.260 boomer!!😁) and has performed flawlessly.

I really like the fact that the low quality tracking scopes like Leupold and Vortex keep going up in price but the lower end bullet proof Nightforce scopes have barely changed. Crazy thet you can buy two or three good used NXS scopes for what those other manufacturers are selling some of their models for. I'll take a used NXS or SHV any day over the best of the best Leupold and Vortex scopes. If you don't dial, a Leupold is fine. I have seen many a Vortex bumped off POI without dialing. I feel like a broken record but I trust Nightforce with my life and only Nightforce. All the guys complaining about scope weight need to eat a few more salads and a few less cookies🤣😂.
Lol. SHV are not even close to same or better glass as vx-5/6s or mk5. I have both. I dial constantly. I use up to 29 moa with zero issue. Just like anything they are mechanical and can have problems. I haven't had any yet but we will see. Are they like my kahles? No. But the kahles is a thick chick and doesn't balance well on my lightweight rig.

Last edited:
With my luck on 3 different scopes, 6 visits to the repair shop, I can wreck any scope you have, mounted on a Ruger 10-22. Especially right before a quality hunt. Just happened on a Zeiss. Really sick of it.

Lol. SHV are not even close to same or better glass as vx-5/6s or mk5. I have both. I dial constantly. I use up to 29 moa with zero issue. Just like anything they are mechanical and can have problems. I haven't had any yet but we will see. Are they like my kahles? No. But the kahles is a thick chick and doesn't balance well on my lightweight rig.
I am not talking about glass clarity even though I disagree with your assessment. Repeatability Is the key and those that use their setups for more than just bench shooting are more likely to have issues. No issues yet, but what happens When it dose? Where will you be? At the bench or settling in on a once in a lifetime critter. 🤔

I am not talking about glass clarity even though I disagree with your assessment. Repeatability Is the key and those that use their setups for more than just bench shooting are more likely to have issues. No issues yet, but what happens When it dose? Where will you be? At the bench or settling in on a once in a lifetime critter. 🤔
Ok you win. I guess I don't use mine enough in real world applications?
I have over 500 dials/shots on my new vx5 right now from the last 2 months and ranging from 300-1255 and it has been great. Seems okay so far. Enjoy the SHV and mushy zero stop

#10-22kidgunyahright

Last edited:
BTW Keith at Nightforce told me the NX8 uses their top of the line ATACR glass which to me is on par with the VX-6HD(same glass as VX-5HD), I think the NXS line is a step down.
I don't believe that is correct. On their webpage they specifically state the ATACR uses ED glass. There is no mention of this on the NX8. Also there is a substantial jump in price from the NX8 to the ATACR. That's likely mostly in the glass.

01DDCF5A-3BF6-4DAC-B0B3-9A2DACF2BB02.png
2943C439-F46F-42DA-AD02-FB559BE046B6.png

I don't believe that is correct. On their webpage they specifically state the ATACR uses ED glass. There is no mention of this on the NX8. Also there is a substantial jump in price from the NX8 to the ATACR. That's likely mostly in the glass.

My question was what are the differences in the two scopes as I was looking to lighten up my ATACR guns and he said they both use their top of the line ATACR glass. I was also impressed that a live, knowledgeable person was available to answer the phone ! Same with Vortex and Defiance Machine but last time I called Leupold I was number 93 in the phone queue which is about 2 days waiting on the phone.

Frustration with some failed scopes is they can begin life fully functional, but deteriorate slowly prior to issuance of the death certificate. Those are the real buggers to figure out.

I wish the lenses would fall out when they fail internally. Make for simple diagnosis. I've had some with progressive internal failures that have caused poor hits on game. Scope failure being the fault, but not confirmed until later. Those are the most frustrating of all.
Agreed x100!!!