Leupold vx-6 opinions

elk wallow

I'm trying to decide between the 3-18 or the 4-24. My main question is is there a huge difference between a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective and a 34mm tube with a 52mm objective as far as light gathering? I'm putting it on my 300 rum Sendero with 20 moa rail.

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between the 3-18 or the 4-24. My main question is is there a huge difference between a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective and a 34mm tube with a 52mm objective as far as light gathering? I'm putting it on my 300 rum Sendero with 20 moa rail.

Thanks, Kevin

You'd probably never tell the difference and I'd bet the house both will take you beyond legal shooting hours.

If weight is no issue I think I'd go w/ the 4-24. You're not sacrificing much on the low end but making up quite a bit on the top end. Though I do like the 3-18, I guess it boils down to your max yardage whether or not you'll use the extra power. May also consider your subtensions too.

The main advantage of the 34mm 4-24 is,

One revolution of the elevation turret gets me to right at 1000 yards in a 6AI with 105 vld at 3380 fps zeroed at 200 yards !

Ok, I wasn't aware of this.
Nevermind then, sorry.

The reason I got the 4-24 was for the 24 max power. If I could I'd rather have 4-24 in 30mm tube.

Thanks, Kevin
The 50mm tube increases light gathering capacity substantially.

I have two of the 4-24x52's with the CDX pop up dials and love them.

If I had to replace all my scopes with one make/model of scope it would be my choice.

I've got the 3-18x50 TMOA on my 338 RUM hunting rifle. I have been very happy with this scope. Light gathering is amazing in low light, I am easily able to set up and see elk at long range a full 10-15 minutes before legal shooting light.

I have the 5-25 ATACR, and for me personally, anything over 20x is too much for an all around hunting rifle. I just don't need the magnification. Of course you can always turn down the 4-24x, but I wanted as light of a scope as possible, so the 3-18 works great for me. Comes down to your own preferences for what you want out of a scope, good thing is you can't make a wrong choIce when choosing between these two scopes.

I have a 3-18-44, haven't had a problem with the low light levels at all! The tech guy at Leupold said with my older eyes I probably wouldn't notice it! Also, I believe the 4-24 only has 68moa, vs 75moa is n the 3-18!

I've got the 3-18x50 TMOA on my 338 RUM hunting rifle. I have been very happy with this scope. Light gathering is amazing in low light, I am easily able to set up and see elk at long range a full 10-15 minutes before legal shooting light.

I have the 5-25 ATACR, and for me personally, anything over 20x is too much for an all around hunting rifle. I just don't need the magnification. Of course you can always turn down the 4-24x, but I wanted as light of a scope as possible, so the 3-18 works great for me. Comes down to your own preferences for what you want out of a scope, good thing is you can't make a wrong choIce when choosing between these two scopes.
For those of us who don't like to pack along a spotting scope the extra magnification really comes in handy for glassing.

Rarely does one need more than 10-15x for shooting med-large game but a scope has lots of uses besides just shooting.

For those of us who don't like to pack along a spotting scope the extra magnification really comes in handy for glassing.

Rarely does one need more than 10-15x for shooting med-large game but a scope has lots of uses besides just shooting.

Very good point. Again comes down to hunting style and preference. I don't mind carrying a spotter (although I rarely do), I really like to keep the weight of my rifle down. I spend a lot of time stalking through thick timber and aspens and a heavy rifle is cumbersome and will cause me to continually shift carrying positions and that is more noise, more movement and not as fast to bring the rifle up for a shot.

Of course I'm splitting hairs here, I strongly considered the 4-24 just like the OP, and Is really only 4 more ounces than the 3-18, but Talley does not offer 34mm lightweight rings and then a picatinny base and 34mm picatinny rings adds considerable weight over just 30mm Talley rings.... About 6 ounces for the 34mm solution over 2.5 ounces for 30mm Talley rings. So the 4-24 would add at least a half pound to the top of my rifle.

If I was set on a picatinny base like the OP, then the 4-24 would be an easier decision. Sometimes a 20 MOA base is needed for a particular build. But just like somebody has already mentioned, the 3-18 gets 75 MOA of elevation dial and with my rifles zero I get 40 MOA of useable elevation that lets me dial shots out to about 1500 yards... Much further than I would shoot at an animal and plenty far for practice.

timber 338,Sound like we hunt similar. Ive had other 20x and I picked up a March 3-24x52 for low end.My Leo 6.5x20 was a bit much in timber,pretty thick here.I find hunting I rarely use and conditions have to be real good for the 24x.Ive had mutiple scopes lined up,Leo,SS,Swaro,NF and the gain just seems small that last bit past 20 and harder to spot own shoots also

timber 338,Sound like we hunt similar. Ive had other 20x and I picked up a March 3-24x52 for low end.My Leo 6.5x20 was a bit much in timber,pretty thick here.I find hunting I rarely use and conditions have to be real good for the 24x.Ive had mutiple scopes lined up,Leo,SS,Swaro,NF and the gain just seems small that last bit past 20 and harder to spot own shoots also
My first few days in Africa I found out what a mistake it was to have a 6.5-20x50 MKIV on my .300wm.

At 20yds 4x makes a huge difference over the 6.5x.

The difference between 3-4x though isn't noticeable but the difference between 18x24 when scoping at long range or judging trophy quality at even medium 300-600yds is huge.

Yes i dont hardly pack a spotter any more unless im planning on sitting good part of day.Which usually its to far and to cold,I use rifle scope to judge,some canyons 2 miles across. When I was in SA I was stuffing arrows in them at 20 yrds:D

Thanks for your opinions guys. I do have another question. I was thinking of going with a 2 piece rail to save a little weight. Are there any negatives to a 2 piece?

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.