Leupold VX-6 3-18 50mm Questions

jano

My first post so I feel intimidated as I'm not super knowledgable in this long range stuff. Just ordered the VX-6 in 3-18X. Will be putting it on a Remington 700, chambered in 7MM Rem Mag. Will be used for hunting. I don't expect shots beyond 500 yards and am wondering the best base and rings for my gun. I've read a little about the different types of bases and am confused what would be the best set up for my gun. It currently has a one-piece Leupold base with a VX-3 in 2.5-8X scope. Is it as simple as getting some tall 30mm rings and putting it on the same base or am I better off with a different base? I've read about the 20 MOA, 40 MOA, bases and such and assume these are to allow the scope to reach it's full adjustablility?? Am I better off with one of these types of bases?
Thanks!!

I would recommend a picatinny rail from a trusted brand name. The windage adjustable base and rings have been the source of several problems for me and my shooting buddies when using a heavy scope such as your VX-6 3-18

For 500 yards you bullet drop is less than 8 MOA so no you wouldn't need a 20 MOA base as the scope has more than enough range built in. How much room is there between the barrel and your current scope, a 36mm objective I think ? The new scope is only about 7mm more than what you currently have(50mm-36mm/2=7). You want the scope as close to the barrel as you can so see what height rings you have then get the size that you need. I wouldn't worry about an MOA base just yet as that scope has enough elevation to get you near 1,000 yards.

Or just buy a set of Talley Lightweight one-piece and be done......mediums are what I run with my 50mm NF. As the others have said, no need for canted base with your desired max range.

It can be as simple as a pair of 30mm rings. Most of us evolved toward rails, and matching rings. Look at how much clearance your current scope has, and if you're using scope covers leave room for those.

For 500 yards you bullet drop is less than 8 MOA so no you wouldn't need a 20 MOA base as the scope has more than enough range built in. How much room is there between the barrel and your current scope, a 36mm objective I think ? The new scope is only about 7mm more than what you currently have(50mm-36mm/2=7). You want the scope as close to the barrel as you can so see what height rings you have then get the size that you need. I wouldn't worry about an MOA base just yet as that scope has enough elevation to get you near 1,000 yards.

Bruce simply explained it best ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.
It's better to already have it ready to go and practice, practice, and practice until you get comfortable taking those 1,000+ yard shots. You have the rifle and optics to stretch it ... after all this LRH. :)

BTW, Jano welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Last edited:
Those listed are good rings. I use TPS for all my 30mm scopes.

Tried them and haven't changed since.

Looked through that scope this morning. Looks to be a fine scope in that price range. Have fun!

I have DNZ 1 piece mount on a model 700 in .280 Ackley and I like it. You don't have as much adjustment as you would with a rail, but not near as much weight either. It seems to be pretty solid and you can get them in various heights. A good friend of mine has been using them on multiple hunting rifles with no complaints.

The VX6 has a very long taper on the front bell. With standard rigs the mounting position is quite limiting unless you use a rail. Iv set mine in Tallys on a LA rem but cant quite get it foward enough.

IMG_0060_zps98461902.jpg

So it would be best on a Nightforce extended base? Thanks for the picture. My friend was going to buy 1. I will get him to look at your picture post first! Can say , i really like the spacing on the rings, but if thats the way its made, so be it! Differnet scopes for everyone. Nice looking gun buy the way!:D

No , just a rail would be fine. It will give some options for the ring positions. Personally Id go with a flat rail for what you've described.
Thanks, the rifle is working out quite well.

"Maybe i missed it, but what is the total MOA travel for the Vx-6 3x18x50?? "

Both the 44mm & 50 mm objectives have 75 MOA total for elevation, same for windage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.