Leupold VX-II -vs- VX-III: Differences?

iSnipe

I'm always on the prowl for good optics and this time am looking for another
scope.... or two. LOL! I really like the VX-II's in the 3-9x40mm. It's a good size
for whitetail deer in my area where I prefer to hunt.

I also love the VX-II in the 50mm. Now I'm starting to think about upgrading
to the VX-III's.

What is your opinion or experience with the differences between these two
optics? Is the added price really make that much of a difference?

What are your thoughts about the two? If you do prefer the III over the II,
please explain.

Thanks,

iSnipe

Maybe I should have asked my grandma?

LOL!

Ok, just kidding, but you guys must have at least an "opinion"? You don't have to be right or wrong, just an opinion!

What, 36+ readings and no one has somethin' to say? Come on! There's no right or wrong answer here guys. Just want to get some feedback. There must be some reason why Leupold charges a couple of bucks extra for their III series over the II. ?? !! LOL!

Again... thanks.

iSnipe

I have a VARI x II 3-9 x 40, and a 6.5-20x50 varix III lr/t and a mark 4 6.5-20x50, and the II vs III or MK4, there really is no comparison, darker, not as clear, powers do not seem to be as great due to the glass not being as good.

but most of all I have found that the II is not near as good in lowlight and appears much darker.

I do not think they are the same the dual springs are used in the mk4. Also the ii just has the old style field clicks that aren't clicks and also I have found they don't always move. Also no ao or parallax focus or sunshade capability

My Grandpa always tells me the big differences between the VariX II and the VariX III back in the day. But now that the VariX III is now the VX II and they came out with the new VX III, I can tell no difference. I have a VX II 4x12 and my dad has the VX III, and I think we would both agree to just go with the VX II because we cannot tell the difference. It has better glass or something, but the difference is so minimal I don't think you would notice.
That's my 2 cents

Thank you for chiming in with your experience and opinions. Each one gets me
more enlightened. Now the difference to me is clear as mud. LOL!

Snareman

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.