Leupold VX-3i CDS Dialing

chirodr1

I have searched the internet for an answer concerning the CDS dial on the VX-3i scopes. I know they are one revolution and the VX-5 is two revolutions. My question for you guys using the Vx-3i CDS is can you rotate the dial past the one revolution or does it stop when one revolution is completed? Most of the information I have been able to gather shows the one revolution maxing out around 550-600 yards depending on caliber and I would like the ability if need be to extend the range past 600 yards. I can use the standard turret and the scope has 113 MOA of adjustment which is more than I probably would ever use, but the CDS dial would be much faster. If it maxes out at one revolution I will just go for the VX-5 with the 2 revolution CDS. Thanks in advance.

The dial itself has the stopper, I have turned one rotation, then loosened the set screw to lift up and over the stopper. Then put it back on and tighten the screws and your good for another rotation. Problem is your dial markings will be off, but if you count clicks anyway it works. Just a pia. I think at one time at least you could order the dial with or without a stop in it?

I have an older VXII I sent to Leupold and they put the dials on, 200 yard zero and reaches out to 750 yards. It's on a 270 Winchester.

I can confirm the dial on the VX5 goes around almost two times. Works out to 38 MOA total, which is more than I need for my setup with a 200 yard zero. Not sure which models you're looking at and the price differences, but the clicks are positive and the glass is clear on my VX . Haven't shot it yet (waiting on rings), so I can't comment on tracking.

I called Leupold and they confirmed that you can, as Cornivorus stated, order the dial without the zero stop. Thank you all for your replies.

I believe Kenton industries can build you a 2 rotation turret
Thanks laker. I will check out Kenton's web site. I just tried to call Leupold and due to the time difference I have to wait a half hour or so. I am going to ask them if a 2 rotation dial like what is on the VX-5 will work on a VX-3i. I hate to give up the zero stop but I would like to have the ability to shoot further than the single turn turret allows if conditions are right. The solution is probably to just buy the VX-5.

I just spoke to Leupold and the VX5 2 turn dial is not compatible with the VX-3i. You can order the target style knobs for $150 and a dial ($80) which will show the yardages and has more adjustment than one rotation. For a zero stop you have to order their shim kit. ($?) It looks like for what I want to do the VX5 is the way to go. Thank you all for your input.

The vx5hd has better glass and the turret is better also. Plus the turret locks so I won't move till you want it to. I love my vx5hd.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.