Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS SF elevation turret question

What about scopes without a rev limit (except for bottoming out)? You can take a MK4 out past a mile with ease in most cases, I've done it many times. That was just a stupid comment from an ignorant employee, call and speak to someone else (like his boss!) and tell them you don't appreciate being talked down too. If Leupold has all off a sudden jumped on the long range hunting band wagon then maybe they shouldn't be the ones supplying optics for our Sniper Weapon Systems!
I can all but guarantee you they will not take your scope and refund your money! However I have had them take a scope after multiple fails and they let me upgrade models, I had to pay the difference of course.:rolleyes:

I have several of the vx3 4.5-4.5-14x40 cds...when I called in to get new turret caps they told me the moa was only one turn(with a stop bearing)....didnt work for me...
But that is in reference to the numbers on their standard caps....i told them i wanted three turrets with numbers for two moa revolutions(without stops)...GOT EM....
Haven't been out to shoot with them yet...
And as to how to not reverse a full revolution I put plastic spacers inside to slow things down....just don't go crazy and crank away...you can damage any scope doing that....the spacers allow you to feel that you are past Zero...dial back up to Zero... 5891.jpeg 5889.jpeg
I still have the original turrets too.....

What about scopes without a rev limit (except for bottoming out)? You can take a MK4 out past a mile with ease in most cases, I've done it many times. That was just a stupid comment from an ignorant employee, call and speak to someone else (like his boss!) and tell them you don't appreciate being talked down too. If Leupold has all off a sudden jumped on the long range hunting band wagon then maybe they shouldn't be the ones supplying optics for our Sniper Weapon Systems!
I can all but guarantee you they will not take your scope and refund your money! However I have had them take a scope after multiple fails and they let me upgrade models, I had to pay the difference of course.:rolleyes:

As of now I think I am done with Leupold, I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow and maybe call and try to get someone else or a boss that can make a decision. I didn't just want my money back, I asked the gentleman about a trade in and I'd pay for the upgrade to a VX-5 3-15x44 with more moa travel.

It's getting harder and harder to support Leupold or buy more scopes with all this talk about problems with their scopes tracking problems. I've had a vx3 in the past not track properly that I just got rid of and currently have a Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20x50 that is having tracking problems and getting worse that I need to deal with as well.

Half my rifles wear Leupold scopes currently. I usually choose them because of the cost, lightweight (compared to others with similar features) and target/CDS style turrets.

I have several of the vx3 4.5-4.5-14x40 cds...when I called in to get new turret caps they told me the moa was only one turn(with a stop bearing)....didnt work for me...
But that is in reference to the numbers on their standard caps....i told them i wanted three turrets with numbers for two moa revolutions(without stops)...GOT EM....
Haven't been out to shoot with them yet...
And as to how to not reverse a full revolution I put plastic spacers inside to slow things down....just don't go crazy and crank away...you can damage any scope doing that....the spacers allow you to feel that you are past Zero...dial back up to Zero...View attachment 101443 View attachment 101444
I still have the original turrets too.....

If I could just shim up with plastic washers and make them work as a zero type stop I'd be happy as heck! What's with the gap in the plastic washer? Does it serve a stop type purpose or is it just to fit over?

I've dialed the turret all the way down and measured from bottom of scope to top of turret, then adjusted all the way up and measured again. I got the exact same measurements both times so that told me the turret wasn't gaining elevation and didn't think I could just shim like I have been able to on others. Even with turret off and measuring to top of post there 0 difference in dialing the 7+ rotations so not sure it would work on mine.

Last edited:
Yes...the split is to allow it to fit into the area and yet have have it snug enough to stay in place....custom fit....lol.....
As like othe spacers that they issue from factory they have to have the correct thickness to "work properly"....
I have other scopes with stops....they work too....just didn't need to go overboard and over think the situation....
Scopes are expensive...they should be able to perform functions that are simply rudimentary.....scope stops have a variance though...
I can dial mine for a llllllooooooooonnnnnngggggg way....hell..i can even see that far.....but adjustments are only as good as the shooter.....

I like the "home made zero stop" solution.

Another alternative is to have a tape made by Custom Turret Systems. I have several.
http://customturretsystems.com/

You could then use the original turret, and not have it stop at one dial. Of course, no zero stop then unless you do it the 26Reload way.

Yes...the split is to allow it to fit into the area and yet have have it snug enough to stay in place....custom fit....lol.....
As like othe spacers that they issue from factory they have to have the correct thickness to "work properly"....
I have other scopes with stops....they work too....just didn't need to go overboard and over think the situation....
Scopes are expensive...they should be able to perform functions that are simply rudimentary.....scope stops have a variance though...
I can dial mine for a llllllooooooooonnnnnngggggg way....hell..i can even see that far.....but adjustments are only as good as the shooter.....

Just out of curiosity, what material did you use and how thick is it? How old are yours' and are they the VX3 or VX3i? I'm wondering if ours' are different and yours' gain height as you rotate?

So do your turrets actually gain elevation as you rotate your turret? Mine won't even gain .001" from all the way down to up, so I'm not sure how they'll work on mine. If yours' do gain elevation, how much do they gain?

Edit: shimming mine make no difference in stopping ability. The only thing it does is raise the turret from seating all the way down the thicker I go. Since my turrets won't change height even by .001", it won't work on my VX-3i unfortunately.

Last edited:
The material....good question....i have recently put most everything into storage including the remains of the plastic material i used for the piece...
I thought about using plastic from a heavy plastic butter lid....BUT...i thought all you guys would laugh at that....but i found the material at HobbyLobby while my son was looking for something for school...its thicker than a butter container lid.....
Having looked at my scopes this is what I found...
The scope on the 65284 is a vxii 6-18 adj obj...with cds vertical turret..and plastic zero....turret caps do not raise/lower as turned....0713181726.jpg
The scope on the 280ai is a vxiii 4.5-14 SF...i had both turrets installed by leupold few months back...yes plastic zero...turret caps do not raise/lower as turned0713181732.jpg
The 26 Nosler host a vx3i lrp 6.5-20...and turret DOES NOT RAISE AS TURNED...there is a second piece under the turret cap that lowers when turret is turned....originally i thought the cap raised....what i get for thinking...0713181728.jpg

And **** you....now I have no idea how the plastics gently slow my return as I rezero........thanks.....I didn't need anything else bothering me while I try to sleep.......
The plastic pieces slow the turret as i get towards zero....they don't stop it...but if I remember correctly turret only goes about 5moa past zero before getting stiff....so I know to go back up to zero...

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed info and pics 26! Not sure how it's working for you either, doesn't change mine even 1/4 minute. So I'm out of luck with my VX3i, just wish I would have known before purchasing and would've bought something else. Hopefully this thread can help someone else avoid the nice surprise Myself and others have had.

I do have resistance the last few clicks before bottoming out though with or without shims. The LRP's are nice since they have the built in zero stop to set, similar to my Viper PST gen II

Now on my mark 4's M1's and vx3 long range with tall target turrets, I've used nylon washers (multiple or combinations under turrets) and O rings to make zero stops, or at least within a few moa to know where to stop and return to zero easily. The vortex HST's come with brass shimming kits that achieve the same principal easily as well.

Squeeze, I don't think you should be ****ed at Leupold. There's nothing in their advertising that would suggest that particular scope would have any different turrets than it does. I would would also call back, see if you can speak to a manager. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Or send it in for an M1 turret.

Squeeze, I don't think you should be ****ed at Leupold. There's nothing in their advertising that would suggest that particular scope would have any different turrets than it does. I would would also call back, see if you can speak to a manager. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Or send it in for an M1 turret.

I was disappointed and confused upon opening the scope when it arrived. I wasn't really ****ed until after the phone call with the gentleman's customer service, talking down and lecturing me about ethical hunting.

The VX-5 and VX-6 state that they're 2 turns from zero, the Mark 5 states 3 turns from zero, target turrets, LRP's and Mark 4's have rev counters, but they say nothing about this particular VX-3i having only 1 turn from zero or no rev counter like their other turrets on other scopes that I currently own and have seen. This would help avoid confusion or disappointment.

You are correct that it does not state that, but it lead me to believe this exposed turret would be like their others with exposed turrets. unlike their silly little plastic ones, or coin slot ones that are obviously not set up for that.

Great advice and I appreciate your response. Maybe I'll get over it and call them next week, and try again. Maybe consider paying for shipping back to them, plus $150 to get a tall target capped or M1 turret put on (with rev counters). Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's easy for me now to see the issue.

Last edited:
Is your turret set with a ball bearing on the inside...if so that is what i had...but having the new moa turret eliminated the zero stop because the ball wouldn't go over the stop....
Obviously I opted for the double rotation of numbers...and if need be I can rotate more.....when i decide see a rock worthy of being shot at well beyond normal range, and my rangefinder.....i like plinking....

Will be following this to see how things turn out. Hoping you are treated fairly in your next phone call and that Leupold puts in the work to satisfy another customer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.