Leupold VX-6 CDS Dial

1eye

I recently bought a VX-6 , 3 x 18 CDS . Called Leupold and gave them the information needed to make the CDS dial to my ballistics and a 200 yard zero. Received it in a couple of weeks . I took the standard dial off , which was already zeroed and installed the CUSTOM CDS DIAL , as far as I know it can only go on one way because of the tab for the zero stop, well its off 4 clicks from my 200 yard zero .
Leupold must buy the CDS dials from Tasco , Hard to believe a Company like Leupold would even put out a dial for a $1200.00 scope of such poor design. The dial sets 1/2 inch above the scope body indexing mark ( enclosed picture ) . The other thing is that the elevation clicks are pathetic. Nice glass and reticle the rest is a joke ! Apparently Leupold does not ever get a opinion in house of their products , or just doesn't care.
The rifle now has a Nightforce mounted.

Attachments

• Leu 1.jpg
    Leu 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 205
That is not right! They sent you the wrong dial, it should sit flush with the scope. I would call Leupold and send it back.

I agree with the others, that's the wrong dial. I also must say that Leupold has done a very poor job of informing people about their CDS dial options. I have a VX-6 and it took me several e-mails and 3 phone calls before I knew enough to place my order. The TMOA scopes use a different height of turret than the other VX-6s so that complicates things even further.

Looks to me like you have the TMOA scope. Like fllefty said, the regular CDS dial should sit flush with the scope and still allow you to use the turret cap if you want. It has room to engrave yardage for 2 revolutions. The other option is called the TAC dial. It's a bit larger in diameter and covers up the threads for a more finished look. There are pictures in some old threads if you want to take a look at both styles:

TAC dials: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupold-vx-6-tac-dials-162172/
Standard CDS elevation dial: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...repeat-ability-156402/index3.html#post1105912

The clicks on these scopes aren't so distinct and abrupt like NF or Vortex. Some people may not like that although I'm not sure why. Does anyone really count clicks when dialing 5+ MOA for a shot? It was a pain to get my dials ordered but now I really like my VX-6.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.