Leupold vs Bushnell comparison questions - help please

Guinness

Merry Christmas! *I have a scope comparison question(s) for you all. *I am shopping for a new riflescope and have narrowed my decision down to two options. *I'm interested in hearing anyones thoughts and/or experiences that might tip me toward one of the models on my short list. *The two scopes I'm interested in are the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS and the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44. I've done a lot of research and I'm pretty convinced I want one of these two scopes as they fit my budget and their advertised performance parameters meet my requirements. *However, I don't have enough real world experience and can't get my hands on either model where I live so thats where I want lean on all of your experience and knowledge.

I will be putting the scope on a 7mm RM with the intention of shooting to 750 yards for practice and in the field, give or take. *Here are my main thoughts/questions:

Leupold does not provide a reticle with wind holdoffs (from the factory anyway) for the VX-6 and thats disappointing. *However, I found a TMOA and TMOA2 reticle the 4-24 and 7-42 VX-6 Target scopes. *I imagine these could be installed by Leupold but are these reticle options too fine?Would these reticles be a good choice for hunting with respect to lowlight performance, getting washed out in bright light, etc? *How much does it cost for a reticle conversion with shipping and everything taken into account?

How many MOA does the CDS turret on the VX-6 provide? *As I understand it the CDS turret only allows one revolution so what range will this provide with an "average" 7mmRM load?

I know the Bushnell is mils and the Leupold is MOA but I'm familiar enough with both systems such that this is not a deciding factor. *

I've read a lot about the image quality of the Leupold VX-6 scopes but how does the Bushnell LRHS stack up? *

How about accuracy of Bushnell turrets? *I like the reticle, holdoffs, etc. on the Bushnell (although the donut may take some getting used to) and I've dealt with FFP scopes enough to be familar with that feature too.

How about warranty and service? *I know Leupold is generally considered the standard bearer in this arena but how does Bushnell compare?

What have I missed? *Please point me down the "right" bunny trail...if thats possible! *I am interested in any and all input anyone is willing to provide. *Thank you.

G

I have owned both brands but not either of the specific models you mention. Positives on leupold IMO are good optical quality and warranty. Negatives are no zero stop and capped turrets although you can put on their CDS. Positives on Bushnell are zero stop, reticle much better FFP if you like that and my experience is they track very well. I also like the exposed elevation turret and capped wind age with that reticle. Certainly not exhaustive but my thoughts.

I'd go with the Leupold. I haven't seen the Bushnell, but what steps out for me is 18X vs 12X on the top end, but then I went with the 2-12X VX6 on my last scope LOL. The intention there was more mid range use.

If you're going to shoot farther I think you'll find the extra magnification useful.

Check Leupold's site before assuming they'll change a particular reticle, in a particular scope.

Let me start by saying that either scope would be a good choice and yes the LRHS can be used for long range. I own both and I built a new elk rifle this year and I had 3 scopes to pick from for this rifle. I ended up using the VX6 and I was very happy with how it performed. Here is a quick breakdown of all 3 scopes positives and negatives.

Leupold VX6 3-18X44 Fine Duplex.
Strengths - tracks perfectly with cds knob, glass quality is exceptional and weight is perfect.
Weakness - No xmas tree or windage hold off reticles available. Hopefully they will offer one of their TS reticles as an option soon.

Bushnell 3-12X42 G2H.
Strengths - tracks perfectly, large white numbers for low light on knobs and very good glass. FF and G2H reticle is awesome!!
Weakness - Eye box is very narrow. This may be an issue if a quick shot is needed. Weight - a little heavy compared to most hunting scopes. I count ounces.

Leupold MK6 3-18X44 M5C2 Tremor 2. Yes this is a tactical scope but so is the NF scopes.
Strengths - tracks perfectly, glass is exceptional and Tremor 2 reticle is as good as it gets. FF is awesome to have.
Weakness - About the same weight as the Bushnell.
I still may use this scope on my 7RUM which was just re-barreled. If not it I will go with the VX6 4-24X52 TMOA SFT

For reference I own a few different scopes. Some are on tactical rifles (TR) but most are on hunting rifles.
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 NP-R1 (TR)
Vortex Razor 5-20X50 EBR-2B (TR)
Vortex Viper LR HS and HS-T
March 4-24X42F FML-1
Leupold MK6 3-18X44 M5B2 H59 (TR)
Leupold MK8 1.1-8 M-TMR (TR)
Zeiss 2-8X42 DL
Swarovski Z6 2.5-15X44P
Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 SF and 6.5-20X40 SF. I have a few of each of both of these and have installed the TS-32X1 and TS-29X1 retcles in them and they are excellent hunting scopes.

FWIW I just sold a S&B 3-12X42 P3 PH because I like the Bushnell LRHS better.

Leupold does not provide a reticle with wind holdoffs (from the factory anyway) for the VX-6 and thats disappointing. *However, I found a TMOA and TMOA2 reticle the 4-24 and 7-42 VX-6 Target scopes. *I imagine these could be installed by Leupold but are these reticle options too fine?Would these reticles be a good choice for hunting with respect to lowlight performance, getting washed out in bright light, etc? *How much does it cost for a reticle conversion with shipping and everything taken into account?

Definitely check with Leupold on this. I asked them about six months ago about a reticle swap in the VX-6, they told me they couldn't do them at the time but it was going to happen eventually. I believe a reticle swap on a VX-3 is $100-140 depending upon what type of reticle.

How many MOA does the CDS turret on the VX-6 provide? *As I understand it the CDS turret only allows one revolution so what range will this provide with an "average" 7mmRM load?

A VX-6 CDS has 20 MOA of elevation per turn vs. 15 per turn for the VX-3 CDS. If you install the zero stop then you're limited to one turn, without the zero stop you can go around again. According to my ballistic app from my 7mm rem mag with a 168 VLD at 2900 fps I can get to 920 yds with one turn of a VX-6 CDS dial (20 MOA) if the rifle is zeroed at 250 yds. If I changed the zero to 100 yds then the dial would max out at 860 yds.

How about warranty and service? *I know Leupold is generally considered the standard bearer in this arena but how does Bushnell compare?

Leupold and Swarovski warranty service is the standard by which all others are judged. Bushnell's has historically been hit or miss, more often miss.

Here's a link to a thread started by one of the guys that helped bushnell design the LRHS. It's a well thought out scope, it's not your usual Bushnell product:

T&E: Bushy 3-12X44 LRHS - 24hourcampfire

Merry Christmas! *I have a scope comparison question(s) for you all. *I am shopping for a new riflescope and have narrowed my decision down to two options. *I'm interested in hearing anyones thoughts and/or experiences that might tip me toward one of the models on my short list. *The two scopes I'm interested in are the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS and the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44. I've done a lot of research and I'm pretty convinced I want one of these two scopes as they fit my budget and their advertised performance parameters meet my requirements. *However, I don't have enough real world experience and can't get my hands on either model where I live so thats where I want lean on all of your experience and knowledge.

I will be putting the scope on a 7mm RM with the intention of shooting to 750 yards for practice and in the field, give or take. *Here are my main thoughts/questions:

I know the Bushnell is mils and the Leupold is MOA but I'm familiar enough with both systems such that this is not a deciding factor. *

I've read a lot about the image quality of the Leupold VX-6 scopes but how does the Bushnell LRHS stack up? *

How about accuracy of Bushnell turrets? *I like the reticle, holdoffs, etc. on the Bushnell (although the donut may take some getting used to) and I've dealt with FFP scopes enough to be familar with that feature too.

What have I missed? *Please point me down the "right" bunny trail...if thats possible! *I am interested in any and all input anyone is willing to provide. *Thank you.

G
Leupold for sure, all day, every day, and three times on Sunday.

Do yourself a favor though and get the 50mm Objective vs the 44mm. It doesn't seem like much difference on the face of it but the larger objective extends your shooting time in low light dramatically.

I have a VX3 6.5x20 that I added a CDS on the Sendero 7RM I just setup last year. The turret is setup with the 168 VLD and 250 zero. The cap goes to 800 yards.

I picked up a Sendero in a 7STW and plan to use the VX6 4x24 on this one. I called Leuplold about the turret. Because this scope is a 34mm it will have TWO revolutions which will be far beyond what I plan to shoot out to.

jjw
ND

The Leupold CDS scopes will be coming with a new Wind-Plex, windage hold off reticle in the first quarter of 2015 if you can hold out that long.

I have owned both series of scopes you're asking about, and with Leupolds newer twilight coatings that are match indexed for low light scenarios, these have to be the brightest scopes I've looked through, especially in the last 10-15 minutes of daylight. American made as opposed to Japanese, with an UNLIMITED LIfetime warranty as compared to a standard lifetime warranty, all points to a hands down decision in my book.

Either way, they are both quality optics, but in my opinion, the Leupold definitely has the edge.

Thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate all of your input. If Leupold does have a new holdoff reticle coming along I think I want to see it before I make a final decision.

Thanks again everyone.

G

I have not owned either of those two scopes but I have owned several of each brand. If you could get more magnification and a Leupold for the same price as a Bushnell you will enjoy the Leupold. I have never had a problem with their customer service or had a product of theirs fail.

Two of my favorites rifles have Leupold glass and they spend a lot of time outside with no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.