Leupold vs. Nightforce Reticle Comparison

Full Curl

Looking to get some opinions on reticles for a LR hunting rifle. I have a few different scopes/reticles in my safe I'm considering for a new .284 build that should be done soon.

Leupold 18x IMPACT-29 MOA
Nightforce 32x MOAR-CF2D
Nightforce 20x MOAR-CF2

All are illuminated and SFP. I have extensive experience with only the Leupold TMOA which I really like. I have no issues clearly seeing it at short or long distances under high or low light and hardly ever need to use the illumination feature. The line thickness fits me very well.

How do the other 3 reticles listed compare to the TMOA, not so much in reticle operation, but function as far as clarity and ability to see at low light for hunting purposes? The main crosshair line thickness subtensions are all very similar from .095 to .01 MOA. When I look through the IMPACT-29 and the MOAR's they just don't seem as "thick" as the TMOA. Any offered insight or experience with these reticles for real world hunting applications would be appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure if my info is dated, but NF has an MOAR-T and an MOAR, with the later being thicker. The "T" is almost too thin; the MOAR is thicker and you might think it subtends too much of the target, but it is actually faster in field situations because you don't have to ensure where the crosshair is, especially if holding for wind.

I think you're 100% correct on the NF reticles. When looking through the MOAR, I'm more worried about it subtending too little under low light where it's hard to pick up in the FOV against a dark animal body.

I've hunting with the MOAR for a long time, never had an issue with it. I think the more important question is will the optic lose its zero. I've lost my zero more than once with a Leupold, never happened to me with a Nightforce

I've hunting with the MOAR for a long time, never had an issue with it. I think the more important question is will the optic lose its zero. I've lost my zero more than once with a Leupold, never happened to me with a Nightforce
x2. Part of the purpose of my question... wanting to go the NF route but want to make sure the MOAR-CF2 reticle works as I need it to first.

Looking to get some opinions on reticles for a LR hunting rifle. I have a few different scopes/reticles in my safe I'm considering for a new .284 build that should be done soon.

Leupold 18x IMPACT-29 MOA
Nightforce 32x MOAR-CF2D
Nightforce 20x MOAR-CF2

All are illuminated and SFP.

For the higher magnification hunting scopes, do you end up dialing for elevation, or dial up the scope full power so that the reticle subtensions are correct? I believe in SFP scopes the subtensions are only correct on the highest power? I think I prefer a SFP scope, but for long range hunting, I would like the subtensions to be accurate at any magnification that I'm on. For this reason, I'm thinking of going for a first focal plane scope. The downside of FFP is that the reticle seems really small on the lower magnification.

Anyway, curious why you prefer the SFP for LR hunting?

I currently use a Leupold 6x-HD 3-18x 50mm with Firedot plex reticle. I just dial for distance.

Wanting to buy a new Nightforce for target and LR Hunting, but I'm torn between SFP and FFP.

By the way, all my hunting scopes are now illuminated. Have shot a lot of game are first or last light and it really makes a difference.

Thanks

I found I rarely used the lower end of magnification so the FFP scope reticle size (too small) was never an issue with my NX8 4-32.

Thanks. That is the scope (NX8 4-32x) that I'm thinking about buying and I'm really leaning towards the FFP now. I have a slight preference for Mil reticles, but I'm thinking the MOAR my be better since it is a little larger and easier to see on the lower magnification.

Thanks. That is the scope (NX8 4-32x) that I'm thinking about buying and I'm really leaning towards the FFP now. I have a slight preference for Mil reticles, but I'm thinking the MOAR my be better since it is a little larger and easier to see on the lower magnification.
I am not a MIL guy so MOAR for me. Good luck on your choice.