Leupold Comparison

The gold ring on the objective is labeled VX-3 (3rd Gen) VX-III (2nd Gen) or Vari X III (1st Gen).

MULES RULE. (Nothing like the zeal of the newly (2006) converted)

Thanks John,

With that information, I will now examine the new VX-3s and see if I can migrate back to an improved Leupold scope. They have always been lightweight, tough, and reliable scopes. Can't beat their warranty coverage and service. I was just wanting some higher quality glass. Sounds like Leupold may now be providing that.

Just look at the box for the name of the scope-and pay attention to the detail.

The old model is "VXIII"

The new model is "VX3"

No Roman numerals. Tom.

If I had just those two scopes to pick from, I would go with the Mrk 4 (I did actually) and would have the custom shop change it out to a TMR reticle. I guess I haven't sipped enough of the Nightforce koolaid, but their glass is not worth the price they are charging and the scopes are ridiculously heavy. I have looked through a Sightron SIII and will agree with the other OP and many experts...Sightron's SIII glass is the best coming out of Japan hands down.

Thanks for clearing that up John.

I certainly agree that resolution and brightness improve with the larger objectives up to a point.

I'm considering the 3.5-10X40 (for a 375 H&H). For my purposes in the intended case the 40mm is fine - I can mount it lower which I prefer, as this is a rifle with a slimmer stock. I still need to be able to get out to 350 yrds if necessary.

Also over here there's far less of an issue with low light and brightness. Where it's darker in closer bushveld I'd be at lower power anyway, getting the full advantage of the larger exit pupil which is over 10mm anyway.

For lighter rifles your scope certainly sounds like the business and I'd think in that case it's probably no contest compared to the heavy scopes (of which I have several).

I like the feature of the turret cap for the reasons explained and it's good to have it IMHO.

WL

What I didn't know was that the new Leupold VX-3 glass was improved. I've been drifting over to Sightron SIII scopes - the quality of their glass being a primary factor. It is top rate glass. I guess I need to look through some new Leupold VX-3 scopes and see if the quality of the glass has indeed improved. I drifted away from Leupold scopes 5-6 years ago because I desired better resolution and light transmission.

When I was doing optic comparisons last winter/spring, it was with the new VX-3 glass. I thought I had mentioned that before, but maybe I had not.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.