Leupold vs. Nightforce Reticle Comparison

I looked at the NF nx8
4-32 Moar dual color ill ffp and trij accupoint center dot moa 3-18 yesterday. I now have everything in MOA so to convert to MiL means going from yds to mil or moa to mil unless ur range finder or ballistic device has MIL. Gotta figure that in, most rangefinders dont use MIL. I had magnification from 4-8 on the ffp nx8 and you can barely see reticle, worthless for hunting or broken background. Full tree illumintation helps, but no go for me. I do like the moar reticle bur for sfp on that scope, it is cf2d only. The nice thing is with cf2d u have split mag moa calibrations at 16 and 32 power. i have not viewed sfp cf2d in person yet. So, you are going need to adjust ffp to 8+ or go to 16/32 power for sfp to use reticle at range. Either way u gotta adjust if starting at low power. sfp gives better reticle size for hunting, i tried to like ffp, but no go. The NF controls and finish is very nice, above the trij, but I wanted to compare the tenmile hx 5-25 full tree ill but nowhere in stores. just gonna go NF

For the higher magnification hunting scopes, do you end up dialing for elevation, or dial up the scope full power so that the reticle subtensions are correct? I believe in SFP scopes the subtensions are only correct on the highest power? I think I prefer a SFP scope, but for long range hunting, I would like the subtensions to be accurate at any magnification that I'm on. For this reason, I'm thinking of going for a first focal plane scope. The downside of FFP is that the reticle seems really small on the lower magnification.

Anyway, curious why you prefer the SFP for LR hunting?

I currently use a Leupold 6x-HD 3-18x 50mm with Firedot plex reticle. I just dial for distance.

Wanting to buy a new Nightforce for target and LR Hunting, but I'm torn between SFP and FFP.

By the way, all my hunting scopes are now illuminated. Have shot a lot of game are first or last light and it really makes a difference.

Thanks
Going thru the same thinking as well. Seems kind of silly to buy a SFP scope that has capped windage, since you would have to be at full power in order to accurately hold for the wind. Unless I am missing something…??

Going thru the same thinking as well. Seems kind of silly to buy a SFP scope that has capped windage, since you would have to be at full power in order to accurately hold for the wind. Unless I am missing something…??
You are correct for most SFP scopes, some of the higher magnification models might have calibrated subtensions less than full power but yes, most are at full power. Hold vs. dial is all personal preference.

The best SFP reticle ever offered from either was a simple med-fine crosshair.
Not tacti-cool enough I guess. Both dropped them..

I would pick nightforce as the better optic and I would pick ffp. That said, I don't like the reticles. MIL-XT seems ok, malybe.
I prefer on low:
9612A191-F316-4B8D-A049-2E16C976DBCF.jpeg

And on high…..
E5166DCA-9126-46CA-95DA-486DB0EF963C.jpeg

I want heavy crosshairs at low power and to see subtensions well above 10x.

That largest plate is 12" and it is at 300yards. Optic is a Tract Toric 4-20x for reference.

For hunting, either will serve its purpose. If you plan to shoot target at all, the Leupold is nice because of the opening in the center. It helps with aligning on target. I prefer the simplicity of the MOAR from NF though.

NF MOAR and Mil Dot are my two favorites. I cant see the MOAR-T or the NPR1 with my failing right eye. Early morning and late evening, I have to switch to left eye/hand shooting just to see.

Recent Posts