Leupold RX-IV range finder

mbarnsr2

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the forum and had a question concerning a Leupold RX-IV RF. I've had it for a couple of hunting seasons, and last weekend it suddenly and for no apparent reason stopped ranging. It turns on and the menu function normal, just doesn't return range.

So I was wondering if anyone else here has one and has had a problem. It will be in the mail back to Leupold for repair tomorrow, but I'm bummed that it just stopped working like that, considering it's never been dropped, or other wise improperly cared for.

MB

I hate to tell you this, but I had the same rangefinder. On the very best day's it would range 600 yds (slightly overcast, aiming at the side of a grain bin)

I sent to back to Leupold and was told the product meet their standards, and they sent it back with no repair.

...It will be in the mail back to Leupold for repair tomorrow...
Your unit probably has a failed laser or current driver, but it could be almost anything that failed.

I'm interested in how Leupold handles this. The RX-IV is a discontinued item that was made in China.

Incidentally, I bought an RX-IV for work several years ago. I thought it was poorly designed. I used an RX-1000 recently and it's a big improvement. If Leupold offers you an RX-1000 in trade, grab it.

I haven't had any issues with it ranging a full 1K yds., just this recent failure is it. Do you free hand it when ranging long distances, or do you put it on a tripod for long range use? It makes a big difference with any RF I've ever used.

I talked with someone today that sent one in recently for stripped tripod threads, and they sent him the newer better version, maybe I'll get so lucky?

MB

I haven't had any issues with it ranging a full 1K yds., just this recent failure is it. Do you free hand it when ranging long distances, or do you put it on a tripod for long range use? It makes a big difference with any RF I've ever used.

I talked with someone today that sent one in recently for stripped tripod threads, and they sent him the newer better version, maybe I'll get so lucky?

MB

no offence but you are the only one i know of that has said that .

everyone i know who had a Leupold rf has sold them a got a decent one .

and that includes the rx 1000 i had one for about 3 months , no good 700y on a good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.