Leupold Price Fixing/Mandating?

Waffen

Gentlemen,

I have reacently been looking to purchase a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 LRT (Fine Duplex) for a .300 Remington Ultra buildup I am doing. I have noticed that while trying to "price shop" for this scope that EVERYWHERE I look it's $849.99 without exemption. I am talking probably 20 dealers online with the exact same prices. I am certianly under the impression that Leupold is fixing prices on their scopes, or at least mandating to the retailers what they must sell them for. Isn't this illegial??

I have seen them on Gunbroker from one specific individual who is selling this exact same scope for $750 NIB. He also has a good record. How does he get away with it an nobody else does? The only reason I don't snatch it up is because he is in Texas like myself and with sales tax and shipping I would end up paying just about the same if not more.

Does anyone know of any place where Leupolds are a little cheaper? I looked on the sample list and unfortunatly they don't have the exact one i'm looking for either.

Most companies require sporting goods dealers to sign a dealer contract. In this contract it is explained very clearly that we must stick to what we call MAP pricing. This is Min. Advertized Price. If I simply put the price on a tag, it is considered advertized. Any and all print, online and media is the same. I can however sell itmes that are discontinued and factory refurbs at what ever I want. Many companies will have what we call goast online sites that do sell items below MAP. They can not be back tracked by the factory. Understand that making a purchase at a store front from a dealer brings many safety measures and added services not available online. Most dearlers of leupold offer an over the counter warrt., free mounting and bore sighting. In the event that a customer ever has a problem with the item the store takes on the factory. It is our thoughts that any factory that has and protects Min. Advertized Pricing is a high end product.

premier use to sell them cheaper, by alot, but dick had loopy over a barrel, then a couple years ago leupold clamped down on him pretty hard, his prices went from 20% lower than anybody to within a dime of cabelas price. when dick passed away leupold cut premier off entirely
JS

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.