Leupold=China Junk!

You can't blame Leupold for not double checking point of impact after driving a long ways or flying. Traveling is hard on equipment

I know Government Motors (GM) is building a plant in China, whereas Japan has brought work here with Honda and Toyota. My problem is that 20 years ago the Leupold scope was the only scope to have. I now hear stories about how people have to send them back. When one costs you a bull on a multi thousand dollar hunt the sting is bad!
Never had a failure with a zeiss scope, Burris, or even my older Nikons.
Oh well Iam booked for next year and will be back but will have a Husk on my 300wsm and already put a NF on my antelope gun.

Sad think is a lot of people here bragged on the Leupold but many said the new ones were junk.......shoud have listened!

I don't have the slightest idea what "government motors" is in your mind, but in order to sell stuff there; it's gotta be assembled there. Sameway in Canada, Brazil, and many other states. G.M. built a plant many years ago to assemble Buick Lucernes there as that's the ride that's most sought after in Asia (imports). And even then about 50% of the car is manufactured over here (not assembled but actually built here). Nothing made in that plant will ever see the U.S. shores unless the owner brings it over here. Also in case you never knew G.M. has plants on virtually every continent in the world (including Russia). Ford does as well. But the difference is in where the boxes of parts end up at. Looking at the build sheets on the transplant companies will show you that they rarely exceed 50% U.S. parts content (Honda being the best at slightly less than 60%), and the Japs are experts at twisting numbers, so it's probably close to 20% less than they say.

Back to rifle scopes a bit. I simply hate Burris, and consider all them as suspect with one exception. They do not have a clue about honor warranty repairs and will often simply send the unopened bax back to as repaired. I consider a Jap Tasco to be a better scope. Weavers are made somewhere in Asia now, but where I don't remember. I've only owned one Weaver in my life and it was a good one (T36). Leupold has been traveling on it's name plate for about fifteen years now like Redfield did for years. Looks like their chikens have come to roost.
gary

My understanding is it is happening much more often with leupold

I was advised of the Leupold problems by guys on the S&W pistol team many years ago, and these problems were largely optical. I saw tracking problems with high end Leupolds as much as fifteen years ago doing the box test at 100 yards. Burris problems were simply caught by buying several of them. Then over the last few seasons the benchrest crowd ran into many problems as well (that's why many guys are buying March scopes I guess). Now I hear about Nightforce having parallex problems (which surprises me).
gary

I have 30 VariX3's andVarixIII's. I have had many problems with their scopes. Scopes I have had problems with are 3.5x10x40, 4.5x14x40AO, 4.5x40x40LR, 6.5x20x40AO. 8.5x25x40AO, and 6.5x20x50LR.
I am on a first name basis with the head of Leupold Technical Services, Alan Ransom. I have even met him in person at Leupold headquarters, discussing the issues I have had with my scopes, this August. The issues: quality control on parts inside the scopes, not holding zero, tracking issues, erector systems, etc. I also have talked to him about MOA reticle. Leupold has fixed or replaced 9 or 10 of my scopes. For the last 2 years I have keep track of all emails and the blue sheets that they send back with the fixed scopes. They now put my scopes on their 40X 300 Win Mag to check it at their range. And they send back the target with the scope or send it in a email. I also do box drills to check scopes if I think they have a problem.
I do not have enough time to explain the problems i have had with each scope. And I have had problems with my friends and faimlies Leupold scopes.
I am not bashing Leupold, but I don't understand why I have so many problems. And yes I do know how to mount a scope. I shoot alot, not as much as some but alot more than others. I sent 1 scope in 3 times before they got it right. At the same time I sent in another scope and they replaced it because it would not hold zero.
These scopes are on guns from 223 to 375 ultramag. Only 2 have muzzle brakes, which are 338 &375 ultramags.
Don't ask me why I keep buying them. My loyalty has not gotton me anything. Try replacing 30 scopes with another brand I could afford. My friend has as many guns as I do and he has switched to Weaver Grand Slams and Super Slams.
I have thought about this very much before I posted this, because of I did not want to offend anyone that has not had any trouble with their Leupolds.
I will continue to buy Leupolds even with the trouble I have had. Todd

I can understand once in a while but it seems to me that it is happening a lot more than I could expect. If leupold was "the" scope to buy years ago, with good quality, why aren't they making them better than ever now. Why are they going downhill when they should have fixed their quirks out by now. It seems as if it's reverse progress now. I have not had any ( knock on wood ) problems with mine ( seven ) so far. Like I said, once in a great while I can see one giving problems, and leupold should be learning from those problems or mistakes. The quality control should be a standard no matter where it is Made.

I have 7 lupy's and they work fine. Anything mechanical is subject to breakdown. Name your favorite top end car and i will guarantee you the dealer has a service shop with a tech. working on them. It sounds like a tracking issue as someone else has mentioned with no reference to where the glass is made. I just purchases a kenton knob for my zeiss mounted on my 25/284. In 2 weeks im leaving for Co. and guess what im going to do tommorow. I will be at Loosesnipers house shooting jugs starting at 400 out to 1060 and testing the scope. If it wont track it will not go on a hunt.
mike

Miikecr
I can afford whatever I want, if a man can't expect a vx koi to perform then that is sad.

Far as not checking poi, I shot it on bench, cleaned her put in pelican case and drove here, no diff from driving from your home to hunt, do you shoot your gun each time you hunt?

If leupold is so worried about profit they get any parts from china then I am done with them! Far as govt motors they used our tax dollars to be bailed out then take jobs to china.... ***

Oh well took the scope off and re zeroed and shot 3 coyotes and an old monarch of a mule deer yesterday:)

I
Far as not checking poi, I shot it on bench, cleaned her put in pelican case and drove here, no diff from driving from your home to hunt, do you shoot your gun each time you hunt?

The group I hunt with does.

We set up camp. and then either scout or set up a target to double check zero. We have had some weird things happen. I feel it is well worth the time if I am using vacation, spending money on a hunt or out of state tag, and all the traveling expense....
I guess I assumed this was the norm for everyone!

meatyrem, I think we are recognizing(for one thread) the dark side of Leupold's business model.
Ever wonder why they have so many models, and revisions, but always adding to their lineup to the point that even Leupold cannot keep them all straight?
Well, neither can the retailers, nor the consumers. (VX3=VXIII=LR/T?)(why VXI & II still?)
Over the years they've saturated the market/shelves with hodge-podged scopes at every price range, and you can't tell if the 'new' scope you're buying is the latest revision or 10yrs old, still unsold.
Watering down their own market -with junk..

Seriously, Leupold cannot make cheaper scopes with the same materials and labor. Nobody can. And we know just how they would manage to put cheaper scopes on all the shelves. Right?
When you declare that you want cheap scopes -built well, then just how on Earth would that ever really happen? I suggest it never has & never will happen.

We should email Leupold, and tell them to immediately drop 90% of their line(~100 models of junk), and focus only on quality with ~10 models. Tell them to listen to customer needs, revise their best, and provide each with a new model(not an added model).
Demand that they never sell junk again.
And if they do so, although more expensive than fantasized, we should reward them.
Much like we did NF, before they went all stupid and watered down their lineup as well.

Just curious to the OP, Dale, where did you originally buy this scope?

I have 2 VariX-III's, a 3.5-10x40, and a 4.5-14x40AO. Both shoot consistant, and have never had to make adjustments once zeroed in, one 11 years ago, the other 9 years ago. I like the lower power of the two, but I despise the higher power scope due to its fickle eye relief. Even with that, both have held up to a braked 7mm mag, and an unbraked 300RUM. Now when I bought a rifle for my wife this last spring, I put a Zeiss Conquest on it. I dont see the glass being any less then the Loopys, and it has a solid 4" relief, on all powers, a legit 3x-9x, and it cost $100 less to boot. The Loopy is actually 3.3x-9.7x, and the higher power model 4.9x-14.2x. With all of that said, I'll be looking to change out my 5x-14x(4.5x-14x) scope with something with less fickle eye relief, and lower base magnification. Now if Loopy can provide a good showing with the new vx-6 model, I may consider it. Otherwise, Im looking at Zeiss, or Swaro.

I make it a point, if Im going more then an hour away to hunt, I take two capable guns, and ammo, sighted and ready to rock. Thats one reason I never favored the notion of a one gun for everything, and dont need another gun in the closet.

Miikecr
I can afford whatever I want, if a man can't expect a vx koi to perform then that is sad.

If leupold is so worried about profit they get any parts from china then I am done with them! Far as govt motors they used our tax dollars to be bailed out then take jobs to china.... ***

Oh well took the scope off and re zeroed and shot 3 coyotes and an old monarch of a mule deer yesterday:)
I sure do. I live in Md. so say Co. is good 2k miles away? I will fly out on the 3rd and the rest of the group drives hauling all of our equiptment clothes guns, etc. The following day which would be the day before season we will re check our guns. I go one step farther where we zero in at there is a doby hill in front of us with some rocks, etc here and there. I will find something 4,500 etc. and dial in to and shoot. It also comes in to play to make sure my drop chart is working due to im at 1400 here in Md. Basicly im doing all of my homework and being prepared 100% then let nature take its toll. Im very sorry for your misfortune and feel your pain.
Mike

I have a leupold cds on my custom stw. I love it and have no problems. Tracking is perfect glass is good repeatability is perfect. I am able to maintain .5 moa out to 900 yds. I am happy with the company. I am starting to get tired of hearing that the only option if you want to shoot long range is spending 2 grand on a scope.

Miikecr

I own about a dozen Leupold scopes, and must have gotten some of the last good ones! But on the otherhand I have not had a reason to buy any lately. I bought eight 3x-9x scopes several years back, and finally used the last one about six months ago. Zero complaints about any of the eight. Before that I used a lot of Var III 3.5x-10X scopes and loved them. I have one of the very first 3.5x-10x scopes ever shipped, and it's never missed a beat (it dosn't even have multicoated lenses). Then later on I buy a Leupold pistol scope (I was told to forget this one), and after going thru three I sold it! Later on I order in a set of bases to mount on a .223 Lo-Wall, and a set of Burris Signature rings (now you guys ain't gonna believe this one). Bases come in and they are pretty as I expected. I put the little rifle in my gun vise and goto work. The damed screws are too short! By about 3/16th's of an inch too short! I call Leupold personally about this and the guys acts like I don't know what I talking about! But he relents and sends me a new set of screws, and they are just like the others (he knows exactly what model and even the S/N). I call them up again and get the same line of crap, but they send me another set of screws that are about .31" too long! I made them work by cutting them off (there are two different lengths). Then I get the rings out of the box (by now we've got over three damned months mounting a 20X scope on the gun!). There's a little note in the box from Burris saying they are having a screw problem (cros bolt), and these don't meet their quality spec! Boy were they right! I call Burris, and at least the guy was nice about it. He sends me another set of screws, and they are exactly like the junk ones! I call them back again, and have yet to get another set of screws from them. Now that's what we call real customer service. I got out to the garage and dig thru a box of rings and bases, and find a set of screws from a good set of Burris rings. They worked perfectly. Burris and I are done!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.