Leupold=China Junk!

Dalebow

Leupold is China Junk. OK been fan for years, loved the new CDS scopes. Used them on several hunts. Well zeroed a new 3.5-10X50 CDS at home in KY prior to my elk/bear/mule deer hunt in CO. Long story short dialed in at 250yards to cover the meadow we were sitting, bull comes out at 120 yards, I hold for perfect shoulder shot and bullet goes high, above the spine, bull runs off, we track, spend next morning making sure he is ok and he was, chasing cows. Go to outfitters range, shoot 100 yards gun is 10.5" high at 100 yards.***???? re zero at 200 yards and get shot next morning at broadside bull, feeding at 400 yards. steady rest, dial in and shoot foot low......nw I am *** again???????????? I had steady prone rest, solid rest, no wind shot broke clean and i called the shot ***.........go back to range and gun is almost 4" high at 100 yards.. dial down 8 clicks.....shots don't move they hit same hole as first 3..........nice .300 group but not where should be.......tap on the turret a bit and move down 8 clicks and she one hole punches the target.........this is a MG arms rifle, tack driver....at home scope tracked great, hit target out to 600 yards no problem.....cleaned her, put her in pelican case and drove out here.........so ***....$6000 elk hunt ruined by *** scope!!! Yeah Leupold will fix and all that crap but they wont pay me for a $6000 hunt.

Have second week mule deer tag, zeroed gun again and just leaving turret alone and using Kentucky windage and elevation, 300 short mag pretty flat out to 300 yards so should be ok,

BUT WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER LEUPOLD AGAIN, HELL i HAVE CHEAP BURRIS FULLFIELD II THAT HAVE NEVER LOST ZERO IN 10 YEARS!

Guy out here has the old Husk scope and it is awesome with great glass, the Blue Diamond has to be better, already emailed Len about getting one and ordered Nightforce 5.5-22 for my 257 weatherby......... Found out they are having their glass made in CHina.......hell what else is being made over there on the new leupolds!!!

Anyone want to buy a 6 month old, only hunted once Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 50 cheap pm:D

Len
Enough said, the whole scope could be made in Japan and I would have zero worries, china makes junk no matter what they do. Iam done, Leupold isnt American made it is American assembled, at least if something is going to be parted out of the US go with the Japs, both our Hondas have over 200,000 miles and still run like a dream:)
Dale

Not always, you would think after trying to kill our pets, lead paint, copy right theft, people would say F%#@ China but it is about the dollar.
Japan brought car companies here to US and put US workers in the plant, China makes crap!

I had no idea Leupold was using glass from China. I knew that a majority of optic companies were getting their glass and other pats out of Japan or Germany. Leupold at one time was getting glass from Japan, if memory serves me right???

I will agree with you there, I am behind the times. I use to work for a contractor that pushed Nikon several years ago and was up on a lot more tech info than now. Doesn't surprise me that more equip is coming out of China.

I know Government Motors (GM) is building a plant in China, whereas Japan has brought work here with Honda and Toyota. My problem is that 20 years ago the Leupold scope was the only scope to have. I now hear stories about how people have to send them back. When one costs you a bull on a multi thousand dollar hunt the sting is bad!
Never had a failure with a zeiss scope, Burris, or even my older Nikons.
Oh well Iam booked for next year and will be back but will have a Husk on my 300wsm and already put a NF on my antelope gun.

Sad think is a lot of people here bragged on the Leupold but many said the new ones were junk.......shoud have listened!

I am by NO means am a Leupold fan. Leupold has contracts with glass manufactures in both Japan and China as do about 90% of optics manufactures. Most high end optics come for Japan or Germany while the lower end comes from China.

But here is my concern with your comment... The scope failed not because of the glass but because of the internal devices, correct? those internal devices were made and assembled by your brothers and sisters her in the USA.

More and more things are assembled in the USA now a days than are made in the USA...Sad.

The coin you dropped on your hunt and lost sucks because of no animal. Equipment fails...period, I don't care where it is made. The sting you feel is because of the money lost... I would consider buying a back up rig for as much money as you spent on your elk hunt. Just think if it would have been a problem with your rifle? Sear, trigger...things happen.

I would also advise when traveling too and from altitude that you ALWAYS check your POI. (surprised the outfitter let you out without confirming zero first anyways, or maybe he did and it was just left out of the post)

Again I understand your anger, BIG $$$ money lost with no animal [FONT=&quot]especially when given the opportunity.

Jon
[/FONT]

Jon
I hear ya, I have several rifles and had 2 additional rifles with me. Didn't matter in this case. Yes equipment fails but new scope should not have been an issue. No glass didn't fail but where else are they cutting corners? No comparison in glass or products from japan & Germany to cheapass china. If you love leupold good for you, not me

It's possible you ended up with a lemon. You don't hear of this that often about loopy. But the others are right, epuipment fails. What I have a problem with is why the h&$$ do they waste time to have half the product come from one place and the other half from somewhere else and it all gets put together here. Don't make a bit a sense to me. Seems they would save $ if it all was done here instead of the shipping of products to and fro. It may not happen all the time but it does fail. Which is exactly why I have a back-up for about everything I would go after. Hope it works out, good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.