Leupold=China Junk!

The worst thing about buying anything made in China is that we lose our manufacturing base here. China holds a lot of US debt, and if they dump their dollars because we quit buying their stuff, it is bad for us. They have been propping up the US dollar for a long time so they can keep selling things to us at a cheap price. I have bought my last Chinese scope, but most other people have no such intention. A study was done of amateur astronomical scopes sold, and 92% of the scopes sold were Chinese junk scopes. The rifle scope market is heading in the same direction, and those who just bang away at Bambi in the brush inside of 100 yards once or twice a year aren't going to buy an expensive American or European rifle scope that cost more than their rifle.

Across the board, if we suddenly quit buying Chinese products, the dollar gets slammed and everything else we buy goes up in price as well. There is no easy way out of the economic conundrum we have gotten into. For the concerned person, the best thing to do is buy quality products, let idiots buy Chinese trash, and put your mind more toward the really important issues like how you are going to buy food and energy in the future. Discretionary spending on big boy toys is going way down for a looonnnnnnggggg time. A few years from now, many of the companies now in business will be bankrupted and gone. Even Leupold could be one of them, but most likely they will sell a lot less scopes per year and will be downsized.

Hello all,
My first post here, Great site.I've been looking for a scope to put on a .257 WBY I just bought this past Oct. I heard alot of good things about Bushnell Elites and tried the 4x12, seemed good until I took it to the range, I could not get it clear on the edges, messed with focus and paralex, it shot well but I just wasn't happy, put a 3x9 leupold on for deer season worked good shot two deer, but that wasn't enough power, tried a 4x12 leupold liked that one but saw the 6x18 vx-ll for a little more so I just bought that one, sighted it in with a .505 ctc. 3 shot group, very happy so far... now I started looking up info about Leupold and ran across this,WOW, I owned about 6 Leupolds over the years all bought about 1985 thru 88 and never had a problem, I've had Burris Bushnell and an old Weaver Micro Trac fail but never a Leupold, from the few site I've been on it looks like newer VX-lll's are having the most issues am I right or wrong?? I hope I don't regret buying this Leupold, Its nice to know they have a good warrenty but I don't want to have to use it!!! Time will only tell.

Hello all,
My first post here, Great site.I've been looking for a scope to put on a .257 WBY I just bought this past Oct. I heard alot of good things about Bushnell Elites and tried the 4x12, seemed good until I took it to the range, I could not get it clear on the edges, messed with focus and paralex, it shot well but I just wasn't happy, put a 3x9 leupold on for deer season worked good shot two deer, but that wasn't enough power, tried a 4x12 leupold liked that one but saw the 6x18 vx-ll for a little more so I just bought that one, sighted it in with a .505 ctc. 3 shot group, very happy so far... now I started looking up info about Leupold and ran across this,WOW, I owned about 6 Leupolds over the years all bought about 1985 thru 88 and never had a problem, I've had Burris Bushnell and an old Weaver Micro Trac fail but never a Leupold, from the few site I've been on it looks like newer VX-lll's are having the most issues am I right or wrong?? I hope I don't regret buying this Leupold, Its nice to know they have a good warrenty but I don't want to have to use it!!! Time will only tell.

Welcome!!

One thing that you will need to learn about some of the people who post negative comments is that these comments are usually un-substantiated and just plain B.S. You will find this on any site. People like what they like and think that everything else is just junk. For you it sounds like you made a good choice. In the years ahead I am sure your opinion will possibly change if you find something you like better. I personally have tried many different scope brands i.e. Burris, Super Sniper, Bushnell, Weaver and Nightforce to name a few. Some I still have and some I don't. But for the money and what you get in return I am at this time a big fan of the Leupold VX-3 LR scopes. Add a 3 tier MOA Kenton elevation turret and windage turret and you are good to go. There again, my opinion. My next scope to try will be Premier. Always looking. Good Shooting!!

Well my story is back by a new scope from loopy for a failed erector, doesnt means SHi$ since it failed on a hunt...............I have changed over to Swaro for my scopes, on the cheaper end the 4-12 X 50 with the BT has been best $1000 spent. My Blaser is getting a more expensive Swaro with BT.
Leupold is trying to make too many level of scopes, under too many names and it isnt working so well for them anymore.gun)

Not sure if it's China or US...But I have recently experienced the following w/Leupold. I purchased a VX5-HD to top my new M70EW. I also purchased Leupold bases and rings.
  1. Mounting screws too short...2-1/2 thread engagement !!!. Needs to be 1.5x the width of the screw. The screws -striped when I torqued to spec.
  2. Hole in the base was either a poor caste or counter sunk too far.
To think that a $1300 rifle & $1000 scope can be brought down by a $35 mount base is amazing.

Attachments

• edgl3qrGS1CazjIUy9cVvg.jpg
    edgl3qrGS1CazjIUy9cVvg.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 3onf2HngTyCIabKyLR33sg.jpg
    3onf2HngTyCIabKyLR33sg.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 170
IMO Japanese products are much better and i will rather see the U.S have trades deals with the Japs, they are as smart even smarter than the Chinkos. Chinese products mass production makes the products itself = zero. Just the way it is. the faster they are produce the less quality the product is.

Not sure if it's China or US...But I have recently experienced the following w/Leupold. I purchased a VX5-HD to top my new M70EW. I also purchased Leupold bases and rings.
  1. Mounting screws too short...2-1/2 thread engagement !!!. Needs to be 1.5x the width of the screw. The screws -striped when I torqued to spec.
  2. Hole in the base was either a poor caste or counter sunk too far.
To think that a $1300 rifle & $1000 scope can be brought down by a $35 mount base is amazing.

Talley lightweights are the only way to go for inexpensive rings/bases. The VX5HD is a great scope tho - I have 2 of the 3-15x56. The one on my 270wsm has been beat to hell, flown on planes in the back of trucks, horses, strapped to the pack etc and that sucker holds zero like its life depends on it.

Did you ever think their warranty is decided by corporate. All that is incorporated into
Their pricing structure.So you in fact might be paying for 1 1/2 scopes and the extra is figured into the repairs and replacements of the ones they know are going to break!
Never think they are being "Nice"

Did you ever think their warranty is decided by corporate. All that is incorporated into
Their pricing structure.So you in fact might be paying for 1 1/2 scopes and the extra is figured into the repairs and replacements of the ones they know are going to break!
Never think they are being "Nice"
For having a good warranty?

A "Good Warranty" that you and everyone who buy their products PAY for?
What's so great about that? My friend has one of their high end scopes
Exposed tactical knobs. I forget which exact one? He shot my rifle a few shots last weekend and said himself he liked my ATACR better? I'll find out which one he has.

Last edited:
A "Good Warranty" that you and everyone who buy their products PAY for?
What's so great about that? My friend has one of their high end scopes
Exposed tactical knobs. I forget which exact one? He shot my rifle a few shots last weekend and said himself he liked my ATACR better? I'll find out which one he has.
Idk man, seems like a vortex VIP warranty is the industry standard now. Nightforce ATACR is no better than the Vortex Razor Gen II or leupold mark5 hd. Unless your are going to pay $4700 for a tangent theta, the others are all in the same ball park and it boils down to personal preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.