Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

It is possible rig up holders for many types setups.,

About shellholder supply for big cases,

RCBS and others make slip in holders for shotgun cases..

Here are various sizes........

16ga-- .810" rim,

20ga-- .760" rim,

24ga .725" rim,

28ga .680" rim....

Ed

Folks can find those sizes you mentioned as far as shell holders through Buffalo Arms Co. If anyone is having a hard time finding any.

Buffaloarms.com

Osoh

It is possible rig up holders for many types setups.,

About shellholder supply for big cases,

RCBS and others make slip in holders for shotgun cases

that can work or reworked for big rimmed rifle cases...

Here are various sizes.......

16ga-- .810" rim,........ 20ga-- .760" rim,....

24ga-- .725" rim,....... 28ga .680" rim....

Ch4d and Buffalo Arms also have these larger shellholders...

We fireform the 416 HSM with 65 gr of medium speed

surplus powder, with rest of case filled with farina

and grits mix, with a play dough plug in the neck.

It is loud, so we shoot it into big container through a barrel size

size hole, so the sound is muffled, so it doesn't deafen us..

It is great getting more companies making 416 caliber bullets,

long target and bore rider bullets. Ed..

We fireform the 416 HSM with 65 gr of medium speed

surplus powder, with rest of case filled with farina

and grits mix, with a play dough plug in the neck.

It is loud, so we shoot it into big container through a barrel size

size hole, so the sound is muffled, so it doesn't deafen us..

It is great getting more companies making 416 caliber bullets,

long target and bore rider bullets. Ed..

Ed - given the very long length of the 416 HSM, I'm wondering which press has enough throat to allow for use of the slide-in shell holders - possibly sizing but seems hardly seating. Please advise. Thanks.

I use Ammomaster with the tall BMG risers

and a Walnut Hill Corbin with simple rework, can work

And we use seating die, with a bushing that centers bullet

by the bushing contact with the sides of the
boattailseat.jpg
bullet, so that

the seating die doesn't have to be 9-10 inches long.

SIMILAR Seat die pictured.Ed

boattailseat.jpg

Last edited:
I use Ammomaster with the tall BMG risers

and a Walnut Hill Corbin with simple rework, can work

And we use seating die, with a bushing that centers bullet

by the bushing contact with the sides of the
boattailseat.jpg
bullet, so that

the seating die doesn't have to be 9-10 inches long.

SIMILAR Seat die pictured.Ed

Ed - seems some confusion. The length of the die is not the issue I was trying to address. I was pointing out that the very long 416 HSM case may not allow enough gap between the slide-in shell holder and the bottom of the die as it sits in the press frame (top cross "bar") - thus not allowing (at least) the insertion of very long bullets. The Walnut Hill is now only shown on the RCE site (brother of the Corbin at Corbin) - https://www.rceco.com/catalog/ But they explicitly say it cannot be used for 50 BMG reloading, or similar (not clear exactly why). They also note that the swaging dies screw into the press ram like the Ammomaster. Possibly the reloading adapter that Corbin/Corbin offers would match the PRE press ram - if it is threaded 7/8-14 like the ram - see http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/mercha...CBST&Product_Code=RLA-H&Category_Code=H-press

So, given my "new" explanation, please suggest "normal" (non-threaded-in) shell holder presses that you believe will clear the height of the 416 HSM case and very long bullets. Thanks.

The seating die we use solves the problem, it is the secret, IE we don't put case with powder in the press with bullet in it. We put case in and raise it up with the top bushing out, drop long bullet in, they are all boat tail, and screw in bushing down over the bullet to preset height, the raise ram and seat and center bullet.
Then lower ram and loaded round comes out. This way round 5.8" long can be done in a press with 5.5" stroke, and the bushing setup in the top centers round straight, as good as closed end top plug with bullet point pushing against it. Ed

More info-- The seater in above picture, is doing our 375/416 HE in regular press, It is in a lee in the picture, with about 4.5" stroke and those two loaded rounds are little over 5" and it works, About the Corbin , the ram thread is 7/8 x 14 and any sizing die that size thread goes in, and we just attach slide in top to extra old die, The original pivot block has two holes, just added extra metal for a hole giving two inches extra stroke, press opening plenty of room. Now there are a couple more that work like 20mm presses, but they cost 3-5 times what Corbin is.I never decap primers in press or put primers in that way so that feature isn't needed there, allows us to check case, clean pocket, do primer work separate..Ed

Last edited:
The seating die we use solves the problem, it is the secret, IE we don't put case with powder in the press with bullet in it. We put case in and raise it up with the top bushing out, drop long bullet in, they are all boat tail, and screw in bushing down over the bullet to preset height, the raise ram and seat and center bullet.
Then lower ram and loaded round comes out. This way round 5.8" long can be done in a press with 5.5" stroke, and the bushing setup in the top centers round straight, as good as closed end top plug with bullet point pushing against it. Ed

Ed - you never fail to amaze. WOW!

Questions (modified after 2 responses below this post):

1 - dropped as I agree I misread the post
2. Your description notes the need for both a special die and for a special bushing. Please tell us more about the source(s) and the available calibers supported. Thanks.
3. So you use the Corbin adapter (http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/mercha...&Product_Code=RLA-H&Category_Code=HpressAcc)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I read it differently than you. I think he puts the charged case in and raises the ram. Then inserts bullet through top of die. Lowers ram and screws in bullet seater

quote--( charged case in and raises the ram. Then inserts bullet through top of die. Lowers ram and screws in bullet seater)---- Yep and then raise the ram.. And can use any bmg size or parts of 577 lee snider die set, with 7/8" thread in the top for the bushing and that seater bushing can be piece of old small cal die or a lee powder through bushing drilled out to what is needed to fit against the ogive of 416 bullet, for loaded length Or a top plug with 7/8" thread with top cut off so the long bullet sticks up through it.And big enough dies with 3/4 thread and rework top plugsEd

Last edited: