talk to me about brakes 338 edge 300 gr 2700 plus

ar10ar15man

i have not started rifle but am guessing weight will be under 20 , closer to 18 pounds
fired from a bench in a rest
i think i am going to pass on a suppressor and just use a brake
what WORKS not what looks cute.
just looked at Apa XX gen 2 fat bastard, like the port design.
what else ??

I am running the medium Pain Killer turned down to min dia on my 338 Lap imp. Turning it down will reduce it's efficiency a bit but for my 30" barrel 12lb rifle I did not want as much weight on the end of the barrel. For you Left in original form would give best performance and not matter with the weight on the end of the barrel.

I will not experiment with other brakes anymore as the PK plain work. I think there are a couple others in the same class and the rest are just brakes.

The beast brake works better than a Fat bastard. The small pain killer in a 3 port works right along with the terminators but the big pain killer is in a class all by itself
Not the best video quality but you get the idea

I have only used the large PK on a 375 Allen Mag. Running 400g bullets at 3000fps in a 15lb rifle it is quite comfortable to shoot. Shot another Cheytac based 375 with an unidentified brake and it was brutal.

The small PK would be enough for 338 edge, but I am guessing that the muzzle dia will be too big and need the medium PK. Plus at full dia and a rifle of 20lb it will be very comfortable to shoot. Like you will be able to let little kids shoot it.

JE Custom Assassin brake (especially if it's tuned), with the APS painkiller coming in a close second stock vs stock. Heard very good things about the 5 port Beast brakes as well

I have a 4 port Muscle Brake on a 12 lb 338 NM and an shoot it all I want.

do not stop now
thanks for the input
wish there were more head to head tests like the prs series.
the fat b was a top performer
and my muzzle will be 1"

I've tested and tried a bunch of brakes on 338 Lapua and 338 Norma shoot 250 - 300 grain bullets. I highly recommend checking out LR Customs BT Rex brakes. It was night and day better than some of the highest rated brakes in the precision rifle blog brake testing. Rifles grouped substantially better with it also. Tamed my buddy's lightweight titanium Christensen arms 338 Lapua to the point that it's actually fun to shoot now and he can shoot 1/2 - 3/4 MOA groups consistently. Prior to the LR Customs brake, getting it to shoot 1 MOA was almost impossible. They're out of Vernal, Utah.

i do not like the small brake thread dia, with a 1" muzzle i would like to see a 3/4 or larger thread.
any opinion of the 5 port on the edge ? too big ??

thanks
I have only used the large PK on a 375 Allen Mag. Running 400g bullets at 3000fps in a 15lb rifle it is quite comfortable to shoot. Shot another Cheytac based 375 with an unidentified brake and it was brutal.

The small PK would be enough for 338 edge, but I am guessing that the muzzle dia will be too big and need the medium PK. Plus at full dia and a rifle of 20lb it will be very comfortable to shoot. Like you will be able to let little kids shoot it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.