Lets talk 17's for fur.

Mr. Magoo

I don't see this subject breached all that often but i know there's some 17 fans out there. I personally only have experience with the 17 wsm, which has proven to be quite the effective round for me in a savage bmag HB. That thing continues to blow me away with its accuracy. I have verified many times it will shoot 3/8" 3 shot groups or better. It is very sensitive to how you "hold" the rifle, but at least i have figured out how to make it hit exactly where I aim on a cold bore shot. I chalk that up to the garbage tupperware stock and will be making a new steel tubing stock like several of my previous renditions but better.

All that said, 17 wsm ammo is in short supply so I'll be switching to a 17 fireball soon. Already found a pile of brass, several different bullets and powders to try, and dies so now its just a matter of ordering up a barrel for my contender.

I plan on making a blanket and a coat out of the fur so I need something that won't exit. Plus, around my place the more frangible bullets shot at high speed make me worry less about ricochets than say a 6mm.

Do any of you have a experience with the few different contender barrel shops? Dont mind paying more for the best quality.

Last edited:
I have shot a 17 tactical for a while with 30 golds bullets, killed them dead if they were 300 and under, but I had a lot of runners if I shot at them moving, there was more tracking then I liked, switched to a 22 creedmoor and all that went away for the most part, but the 17 is king for saving fur, it was unbelievable the little hole it left even at close range, but throw in a 10-15 mph crosswind in the open country and things got dicey over 300.

I don't see this subject breached all that often but i know there's some 17 fans out there. I personally only have experience with the 17 wsm, which has proven to be quite the effective round for me in a savage bmag HB. That thing continues to blow me away with its accuracy. I have verified many times it will shoot 3/8" 3 shot groups or better. It is very sensitive to how you "hold" the rifle, but at least i have figured out how to make it hit exactly where I aim on a cold bore shot. I chalk that up to the garbage tupperware stock and will be making a new steel tubing stock like several of my previous renditions but better.

All that said, 17 wsm ammo is in short supply so ill be switching to a 17 fireball soon.
Nothing beats the 17 hornet by much, out to 250 yards, NO fur damage at all in my experience using it, no need to tell you it works as I've posted dozens upon dozens of pictures. A consideration is ammo availability, and cost 17 hornet is available and while costly nowhere near as costly as the 17 rem. 17 WSM is a little undergunned unless you have great optics, and shooting abilities,but 150 max and 50 to 100 yards for novices if that. 17 remington 2$ 4$ a round if you don't reload, 17 hornet can be had for about $1.25 rd. keep in mind nothing really gained with 17 Remington , as the hornet has more ft pounds at 300 yards than does the Rem.That and cost and availability of ammo makes it a done deal unless you enjoy reloading.

Last edited:
Went 17 hornet when it felt like my 17 wsm was running out of steam on a windy hunt. Objectively the hunt was abnormally windy for what the majority will face. Didn't beat wind, haven't given up on it and bought a 223 for a donor for a 223 based 17. Need to sit down and see if the 17 kak reamer is available for a bolt gun build.

Ended up with a 26 inch ruger 77 for a 17 hornet. It's probably one of the most mild cartridge/rifle combos I've ever used. My 17 wsm is an autoloader, not sure if if it's the slap of the bolt or the shorter barrel but it feels louder than the 17 hornet. The 17 hornet brass is finicky and thin, but it's been one of my most enjoyable combos. Hope to get the chance to use it more.

Built a custom 17 Remington a couple years back. It is my favourite calling rifle by far now. It shoots 25gr Berger into tight little groups and hits with authority all the way out to 250 yards. Will still open a coyote up if bone is encountered and range is less than 100yds but for the most part there is no sewing required. Makes for nice clean pictures as well.
IMG_4214.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

Built a custom 17 Remington a couple years back. It is my favourite calling rifle by far now. It shoots 25gr Berger into tight little groups and hits with authority all the way out to 250 yards. Will still open a coyote up if bone is encountered and range is less than 100yds but for the most part there is no sewing required. Makes for nice clean pictures as well.View attachment 527862
View attachment 527863
Nice rig and shooting, I had a 17 remington and not being a handloader the price of ammo was outrageous, went 3 years ago with hornet and never looked back, in the hands of an experienced shooter it can kill at 300 yards with a drop of only 6 inches and enough steam to kill.The 17 Rem drops around 4in at the 300 yard more and has definitely enough steam for yotes and fox. Don't be skeptical to shoot at 300 IF opportunity arises, 250 is a great comfort zone for both, wind is a consideration but there again can be dealt with with knowledgeable shooters. Good shooting, đź‘Ť

I often use a 17 Ackley Hornet or a 222. The Ackley will make a .17" hole and usually no exit wound with varmint bullets. The 222 is on a combo gun with a 12 gauge which is nice to have. I also own 243 and 22-250 but seldom need them for the ranges most coyotes are shot and both tend to make gaping exit holes.

The only thing I don't care for with .17s is cleaning them.

Last edited:
I often use a 17 Ackley Hornet or a 222. The Ackley will make a .17" hole and usually no exit wound with varmint bullets. The 222 is on a combo gun with a 12 gauge which is nice to have. I also own 243 and 22-250 but seldom need them for the ranges most coyotes are shot and both tend to make gaping exit holes.

The only thing I don't care for with .17s is cleaning them.
I use the Tipton carbon fiber 26" rod , works like a charm, very very little fouling hardly any with the hornet specific one made in 17 caliber with attachments.

I have shot a 17 tactical for a while with 30 golds bullets, killed them dead if they were 300 and under, but I had a lot of runners if I shot at them moving, there was more tracking then I liked, switched to a 22 creedmoor and all that went away for the most part, but the 17 is king for saving fur, it was unbelievable the little hole it left even at close range, but throw in a 10-15 mph crosswind in the open country and things got dicey over 300.
30 golds were going to be my first choice but aren't being made anymore. The guy that bought the dies from kindler made them for a while but i guess he stopped. I might as well get a 1in9 tw barrel so i can run the long bullets when I find them. I guess that would stabilize any bullets currently made?

There's a few other low volume souces for higher bc 17 bullets but need to find a reliable source.

Any leads?

Went 17 hornet when it felt like my 17 wsm was running out of steam on a windy hunt. Objectively the hunt was abnormally windy for what the majority will face. Didn't beat wind, haven't given up on it and bought a 223 for a donor for a 223 based 17. Need to sit down and see if the 17 kak reamer is available for a bolt gun build.

Ended up with a 26 inch ruger 77 for a 17 hornet. It's probably one of the most mild cartridge/rifle combos I've ever used. My 17 wsm is an autoloader, not sure if if it's the slap of the bolt or the shorter barrel but it feels louder than the 17 hornet. The 17 hornet brass is finicky and thin, but it's been one of my most enjoyable combos. Hope to get the chance to use it more.
My 17 wsm bolt gun is quiet enough to not hurt my ears if I forget hearing protection. Not being able to reload drives me crazy.

The 17 hornet piqued my interest for a bit till i read

Used the Model 700 .17 Remington for many, many years on Yokes, it's can be magical with the old Remington 25gr HP bullet hand-loaded to match up with their factory 25gr ammo, they both would shoot through the same hole.
The magic is to try and keep your shots under 350 yards, it always seemed like a foot outside of 350 yards and you were chasing down Yotes all day, 300 yards and under, it was like a lightning bolt hit them, yeah crazy, but that's how it worked. Have fun... Cheers

For you guys shooting the hotter 17s, assuming a max of 350 yards. Does the velocity in practice help overcome the wind enough to be noticed in the field? Reading charts and ballistic apps, love the fur saving results but hunt some windy spots. Trying to decide if it's worth building a 223 based 17.

Don't have a reliable source for high b.c. sub caliber bullets, only solution I've found is buy a lot when they are available...

I have lost some Dessert coyotes with the 17 Ackley Hornet with 20-22g hp doing 3550.

I have killed a Lot of coyotes with the 17 Mach IV with 25g Bergers and even more with the custom 17 Remington with zero freebore shooting the 25g Bergers.

If you shoot a coyote behind the diaphragm with these 17s, you will lose them more than likely, otherwise they are DRT.

I had a reamer designed with zero freebore and ordered a set of reamer pilots for the gunsmith to use. The Shilen barrel chambered off that reamer and put the bullets in the same bullet hole with two different powders, stock rem 700 sporter, bedded in the BDL stock.

Cleaning the 17s custom barrels is not a chore anymore, good brushes, and good rods, are not a big deal. Also, the 17s around livestock seem to have great appeal to the ranchers and farmers.