17 Rem,Tactical etc. (Lets End The Myth)

yote doctor

I've spent long hours reading people's post on different forums... I'll tell you right now I'm a huge fan of this calliber. So..... Let's end the (myth) that this caliber does not work, and work well when it comes to putting coyotes on the ground.

Everyone has an opinion, Yes. But I really get tired of guys stating "my honest opinion" when they follow it up by saying they have never truly used this setup for coyotes. But rather go off results of a similar caliber... And some fellas on here haven't given this caliber an honest day in court.

300 yards and under...

I'm saying that this caliber, shooting 25gr or larger (non polymer tip) bullets, could be THE best combo for killing coyotes with next to NO fur damage. Yes, I hunt for fur. But there is something about the 17 Rem that is different. There is almost no recoil so you see the impact every time. The coyotes usually hit the ground as if struck by Thor's hammer. And I usually have to wait for blood to trickle out of the small hole to get confirmation on shot placement.

I ask you fellow 17 cal guys out there to post pictures here with a short story(results).

Without rambling on any longer, I do call yotes while shooting 223 and 243 but this is by far my best combo. Probably ruffled a few feathers as well but by all means, speak your peace.

Thanks
Brian

I've spent long hours reading people's post on different forums... I'll tell you right now I'm a huge fan of this calliber. So..... Let's end the (myth) that this caliber does not work, and work well when it comes to putting coyotes on the ground.

Everyone has an opinion, Yes. But I really get tired of guys stating "my honest opinion" when they follow it up by saying they have never truly used this setup for coyotes. But rather go off results of a similar caliber... And some fellas on here haven't given this caliber an honest day in court.

300 yards and under...

I'm saying that this caliber, shooting 25gr or larger (non polymer tip) bullets, could be THE best combo for killing coyotes with next to NO fur damage. Yes, I hunt for fur. But there is something about the 17 Rem that is different. There is almost no recoil so you see the impact every time. The coyotes usually hit the ground as if struck by Thor's hammer. And I usually have to wait for blood to trickle out of the small hole to get confirmation on shot placement.

I ask you fellow 17 cal guys out there to post pictures here with a short story(results).

Without rambling on any longer, I do call yotes while shooting 223 and 243 but this is by far my best combo. Probably ruffled a few feathers as well but by all means, speak your peace.

Thanks
Brian
Ive read about the 17 Tactical, could you tell me what the best way to form the brass and what all is envolved.

300 yards and under...

Thanks
Brian

300 yards and under...

Thanks
Brian

300 yards and under...

Thanks
Brian

I AGREE AND WISH I KNEW HOW TO POST PICTURES. I HAVE A FEW DIFFERENT RIFLES THAT WORK GREAT. I DON'T SHOOT COYOTES WITH ANY OF THEM BECAUSE THE .17 IS A KILLER. IT IS HARD FOR MOST PEOPLE TO PICK UP A 17 BULLET AND BELIEVE IT IS AS CAPABLE AS IT IS. IT TRULY IS A HAMMMER. IT DUMPS ALL OF IT'S ENERGY WITHOUT EXITING. AND HAS VIRTUALLY NO RECOIL. EXTREMELY EASY TO SHOOT AS THERE IS NO RECOIL TO ANTICIPATE. NON BELEIVERS HAVEN'T GIVEN IT A FAIR SHAKE. WITH THE RIGHT BULLET, A NON POLY TIP 25 AND UP. THERE IS NO BETTER CARTRIDGE. BUT I WON'T LIMIT MYSELF TO 300. THE 32'S STRETCH THAT AT LEAST ANOTHER 100 WITH A OVERBORE CARTRIDGE LIKE THE TACTICAL

I hunt coyote's almost unanimously anymore, and started calling when i was 15 years old. I have used everything from a 25-06 to the 17 Rem, without a doubt the 17Rem is the best calling caliber out there. Obviously there are many greats... the 22-250 can't be over looked. Also if the wind is blowing hard this is not the best option, then again that's why Hornady makes the 80gr ELD for my 22-250. But if you have the chance to choose one caliber for a specific need the 17 is the one for coyotes. The original post author put it correctly when he stated it hits like a hammer. Coyotes rarely take another step after being hit with this little bullet. I shoot the 25gr Hornady HP, over Varget.

I have 2 .17 Rems. It is very true. Especially with 25gr Kindler Golds. Can get a little more range with the heavier Kindler bullets if you have 1:9 twist. These bullets have very high BC's for a .17 and handle wind much better than most folks think. Big medicine for fur. Very seldom exit on a coyote, and you will have to skin him to find the hole usually. You can get blowback on the entrance if you hit the shoulder blade.

I don't coyote hunt but have shot prairie dogs with a .17 Rem for years. Use 25gr Kindler Golds at around 4000fps. 400 yd shots not uncommon. After hundreds of rounds, still shoots 1/2 moa @ 100 yds.

From what I have found on the www Kindler doesn't make the Kindler Golds anymore. What else do you recommend? Right now I'm primarily a fox hunter. South Central Pa (Adams and York Counties) are not over run with coyotes. People are seeing them but they aren't here in vast numbers yet. I built my "custom" .17 because coyotes are slowly moving in and I wanted something better than my .17 HMR (which is deadly on fox) to kill the rare coyote that I may encounter. Right now I am shooting 25gr Hornady Vmax over 22gr of Benchrest. This load doesn't like the warm summer heat but it's killer in the colder fox season months.

Thanks for the replies and (in the field) experience.

To pacowboy: I'm currently testing the Reeds 32gr high BC bullets. Still in load development but should test them on fur within a week or two.

I'm still sitting on 27gr/30gr Golds. They are both excellent choices for coyotes. 30s on fox, Not so much...

I still shoot my old 17 Rem with the 25gr Hornaday HP. Honestly a great bullet for both. My dad purchased this rifle back in the day for ND fox hunting. Used this bullet with great results. If you want to try a few I can send you a dozen or so.

I would like to post a bunch of pics showing success with both 17 Tac and 17 Rem but can't get it to work.

From what I have found on the www Kindler doesn't make the Kindler Golds anymore. What else do you recommend? Right now I'm primarily a fox hunter. South Central Pa (Adams and York Counties) are not over run with coyotes. People are seeing them but they aren't here in vast numbers yet. I built my "custom" .17 because coyotes are slowly moving in and I wanted something better than my .17 HMR (which is deadly on fox) to kill the rare coyote that I may encounter. Right now I am shooting 25gr Hornady Vmax over 22gr of Benchrest. This load doesn't like the warm summer heat but it's killer in the colder fox season months.
I just looked on Tod's website (The woodchuck Den) and he no longer shows them in his catalog. It will be a loss to the caliber if he will no longer make his fine boat tails. They have very high BC's for a .17. Bergers are the second choice, but will lower the effective range quite a bit. I only have about 200 left. Wonder if his arm could be twisted???

I've owned a .17-222 on a 98 Mauser Action & Douglas 1:10 heavy varmint barrel since the early '70s. I shot a lot of groundhogs & fox with it in those days out to 400 yrds. I lost all my reloading data over the years with divorces, tornados and moving a lot of times. I've been working up loads with several powders using 20 & 25 gr HPs and Nosler tipped bullets. So far IMR 8208 XBR has been the most impressive. Nosler shows it to be their most accurate for the .17 Fireball which I'm using as a guide to work up a load. I want to nail some yotes with it.