Let's see your Varmint rifles !

At what range do you expect to engage targets/varmints? If 600 and beyond, I would recommend that if the 105Amax does not work well, to go with a heaver, higher BC bullet rather than go down to 90-95grainers. If you can push the Amax at 3200, I would think you could push the 115berger at 3000. (that's just WOW ballistics)

Do you have a new barrel already to go for when you burn this one up?? :D

I'm not responsible enough to burn this one up. I have seven other dedicated varmint rifles that I get bored of and then go back to later and whilst I did post this on the varmint section, it will end up as a deer gun anyway. I would imagine it being burned up around 1500 or so if I push it, which I will.

As for the 115 bergers, I'm looking for some, but not very hard. As soon as I get the A MAX shooting, I'll start working on a heavy heavy load. The 115's at 3000 is what I was thinking also :) ultimately that is my goal.

Here is my Rem 722 in 222 Rem. groundhog/pd rifle. Only have 25 rnds down the bbl. 5 five shot groups smallest .323 largest .482. New brass guessing at a seating depth. I believe it will do better. Now if I only had the time.

Attachments

• DSC04335.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04335.JPG[1].jpg
    167 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC04334.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04334.JPG[1].jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 176
Here is my Rem 722 in 222 Rem. groundhog/pd rifle. Only have 25 rnds down the bbl. 5 five shot groups smallest .323 largest .482. New brass guessing at a seating depth. I believe it will do better. Now if I only had the time.

Tell us some more about your rifle. Why 222Rem? Give us some more specs on the rifle, especially that sexy stock.

Tell us some more about your rifle. Why 222Rem? Give us some more specs on the rifle, especially that sexy stock.

Must be money or maybe to save on gun powder? Couldn't be for accuracy or long range since there are better choices.

joseph

Must be money or maybe to save on gun powder? Couldn't be for accuracy or long range since there are better choices.

joseph

Joe
You must be 12 and on the magnum band wagon. I shot, with VHA witnesses, pd out to 700 yds and Pa groundhougs out 425yds. As far as accuracy it was THE accuracy cartridge till the 6ppc came along. Is it a long range cartridge, no but this is the first new bbl that I put on the original sporter bbl lasted for over 10k rnds. When I removed it is was shooting a softball at 200 yds. I believe I have shot it enough to know what the cartridge can and can't do.

Trebark
The action was trued. I found that bbl on McGowen website for $165 to the door. I didn't have plans of that heavy of bbl. I just can't turn down a good deal. The stock I made. I own Custom Rifle Stocks and that was the very first stock that I made after I bought the company. The stock is a laminate that I glued up and then incorporated 2 different patterns to get what I wanted. Then I had it dipped at Boyzhid in Altoona pa. Hopefully here this winter I will get more time to work with it. I know it will do better. The first 25 rnds were just thrown together so I could shoot it before a match. Heres some more pics.

Attachments

• DSC04325.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04325.JPG[1].jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC04326.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04326.JPG[1].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC04339.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04339.JPG[1].jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 155

joseph

You may have never heard of the 222 rem or any of it's variants. Maybe you need to reconsider being on this forum with your poor attitude. Maybe he built that absolutely impressive rifle because doesn't care what a 12 yr old (you as I will second) thinks. Do your research, KID and get back to us. Maybe even shoot one as nice as the one above. Most of all, this site is not for Johnson measuring contests.

You may have never heard of the 222 rem or any of it's variants. Maybe you need to reconsider being on this forum with your poor attitude. Maybe he built that absolutely impressive rifle because doesn't care what a 12 yr old (you as I will second) thinks. Do your research, KID and get back to us. Maybe even shoot one as nice as the one above. Most of all, this site is not for Johnson measuring contests.

Thank you sir. Also thank you for your service to our country. Merry Christmas.

Well I guess you got me here. I came off being sarcastic and shouldn't have. I do remember when the .222 Remington was THE cartridge for accuracy. I now shoot a 6mm Norma BR. that is a pretty good shooting round. Ever since one of my BR. buddies invited me to shoot at 1,000 yds. I completely lost interest in short range shooting. I am still not competitive where I shoot, but my best 5 shot group at 1,000 was 3+1/4 inches (lucky no wind ). Best 5 shots at 100 was .084" and my best 5 at 200 was .375". It also shoots less than 2" at 400 yds. At long range the wind is my biggest problem. I reload with 105 gr. Berger VLDs + CCI BR4 primers and Lapua no neck turn brass. My neck chamber is .271. The barrel is a heavy 26" Brux with a Savage Target Duel Port action.

My newest varmint rifle is shown on Post #509.

By the way your stock is outstanding. Glad you showed us more pics of it. Good luck with your business and Merry Christmas.

joseph

PS this is mine: The 1,000 target was the second time I ever shot at that distance. The scores & group sizes are in lower right. The wind indicator was made by a friend and is the most accurate I've seen. OH I painted my stock as an experiment. Never did one before.

Attachments

• 1000 yd target .JPG
    1000 yd target .JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 183
  • wind flag .JPG
    wind flag .JPG
    159 KB · Views: 172
  • 6mm Norma BR> .JPG
    6mm Norma BR> .JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 176
Joe
That's a real nice paint job you did on your stock. Nice shooting.

I don't do any short range comp. shooting. We mostly shoot groundhog matches out to 500 yds. We also hit the World Open in Williamsport and few other 1k matches around our area. We also shoot the varmint silhouette matches out to 1k in Ridgeway Pa. Those are the most fun. If I can get them to load I post some pics of some of the rifles that I have. The gray laminate is one that was thrown together with a used bbl. It has over 1800 rnds on it. That target is our groundhog 500yd target. The custom laminate is strait 243. That gay blue one is a panda rblp 6x47 lapua. Till I ran out of the serria 107's I had a couple 3 shot 1/2" 500yd groups with it. I never did near that good with it during a match. I have a couple others but I don't have pics of all of them.

We go to south Dakota for pd. Our farthest kill is 2218 yds with lots of kills between 1k and 1 mile.
I wrote and article that is on here around 2009. We were trying to beat the world record of 3140 and going for 2 miles but the gods just weren't with us and we only made to 2218. There's pics of those guns in the article. There our 1k heavy guns both of them were either a 300 wsm and one year I had a 300 AI same gun just a different bbl.

Attachments

• DSC04539.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04539.JPG[1].jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC04538.JPG[2].jpg
    DSC04538.JPG[2].jpg
    70 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC04366.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04366.JPG[1].jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC04355.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04355.JPG[1].jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC04352.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC04352.JPG[1].jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC03527.JPG[1].jpg
    DSC03527.JPG[1].jpg
    46 KB · Views: 151
jghoghunter,

This is what I compete against. I wasn't there that day. I would have liked to put my signature on that target. It was at 400 yds.

The black target was shot at 400 yds. to test my new custom turret to see if it was accurate. I was trying to see if I even hit the paper. Not to bad for a rifle I had built for antelope hunting in Wyoming.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Attachments

• MY 400 yard target .JPG
    MY 400 yard target .JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 400 yd record target .jpg
    400 yd record target .jpg
    10 KB · Views: 132
  • 400 yd. record target 1 .jpg
    400 yd. record target 1 .jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 139