lets see some LR rifle pics!

Since you asked. Some pics of present and past projects. Very brief bio's as it would take too long to type. Ask and I can supply more info. Enjoy...

My 35" barreled Enfield P14 in 300RUM. That muzzle port works like a charm and reduced recoil distance by 2/3's. Working on 220gr MK as the 240's were blowing up in flight. Go figure.

My mid range hunting rifle in 6.5-06. Man, I love this cartridge. 24" barrel with a Win Boss brake (crap). Enfield P17 action modernized. This one drives tacks.

This another P17 in 6.5 Mystic. My brainchild for a 1000yd BR cartridge. Was very accurate with 140gr bullets. Sold it. Will build another shortly to the 16.5lbs rules on a Savage action. Richard of Wildcat bullets is using it as a test mule to develop/test his 6.5 bullets. So don't blame me if they don't shoot.

My first attempt at a LR hunting rifle. In 300Wby through a Douglas barrel. Shot really well. P14 action. Unfortunately, 1 in 12 twist. Sold it for a faster twist monster. Enter the RUM above. I did have wonderful success with the 155gr Amax and shot it quite accurately to 1800m (1960yds).

Here's one for the Mauser and Gibbs fans. Built on a Parker Hale Midland action in 30Gibbs. Another wonderful wildcat. Cdn made match barrel (never got the manf). Awesome with 165gr SST's. Sold it too as I wanted something that would handle the high winds found in the mountains where I hunt. Enter the 6.5-06 above.

Here are pics of the 30Gibbs case. Fun to make and shoot. The 6.5 Mystic has a similar shoulder/neck but based on the 308 case. Identical in case capacity to the 6.5 WSSM improved that many are starting to test.

This is a Norinco M305. I think you can figure out what its a clone of. Shoots MOA (or better, sometimes). Nothing like the Chinese junk of yesteryear. These rifles are awesome. If your govt ever lifts the ban, Springfield is going to have a heart attack. Don't ask what they are worth, it will make you cry. I make shim kits to tighten up the gas system on any M1A if anyone's accurizing one.

Well, that has eaten up enough bandwidth for now. No pics of my new tackdriving Savage in 270, or the 338 Mystic(no stock yet). Others never got digital pics taken before they went on to other deserving homes. Me thinks I build to much...NAAAAAAH.

Most of the stocks are homemade. Easier to get a better fit and reasonably easy to do. Saves me enough to afford another barrel. And so the addiction goes.

Jerry

a00001.jpg

Thats( left) a Roedale Precision LRS in 30-06. Border 5R barrel, remmy 700 action. on the right is a customised (by roedale precision) Sauer 200 in 6.5x68.
imm006.jpg

another Roedale LRS, this time with a Heym barrel, also 30-06, and a Roe buck shot at 396m.
Picture004.jpg

same LRS as above, with moderator.
S3500004.jpg

my long range (well not always) pig basher. its a parker hale action, modified springfield 03 bolt, modified Ken Farrel base.9.3x62 Lothar Wather barrel shoots sub 1/2" @100m and just over an inch @ 300m, and thats as far as ive treid it up to now.
Pete

Very nice pics Pete Lincoln, top looks very much like Scotland to me.

See from posts you are selling S&B's. If you're able to drop one off somewhere in Scotland please send me a PM. (I go there for stalking every year, and I'm keen to evade horrendous Norwegian import taxes)

Sierra 22. we can loophole the import tax, legaly. where do you stalk in Scotland , with who. i go every year too, used to go with Tillhill, go now with Pete Carr sporting services. I can sort you out with a S&B noprobs. send me an email and check out my web site.
www.roedaleprecision.com
pete

Jerry,

I like the big 300, the one with the "hole" brake....looks like that could double as a rifle hanger too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

db

Pete--are there a lot of 2-headed roe deer over there

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here are a few pics of my 7RUM I just got back from Kirby Allen. He installed the Holland QD brake and did a Excellent job as I expected and also bedded the rifle which was also another superb job. This rifle was a good shooter before but is even better now!! The only other mods that have been made are a timmeny trigger johnnyk and myself installed and tuned to a crisp 2 pounds. Not as fancy as some but it gets the job done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif [image]http://[/image] This is the view from my end. Everything on top of the reciever is Burris. Signature rings with 20 MOA in the rings via inserts with a 6x24x50 30 mil tube ballistic mil dot reticle Black Diamond snuggled in them. [image][/image] Here is a close up of the brake which works wonders on recoil! Thanks Kirby!! [image][/image] [image][/image] There are two more pics just for eye candy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I will try to post pics of my other rigs later.

Thanks guys. I really like that thumbhole stock. Very easy to use when shooting off a bipod.

The big hole really does work. Vents almost all the muzzle blast sideways. Looks like a howitzer going off. The width of the barrel also acts like a sail. For something so basic, it reduced the distance this rig recoils from 3" to 1". Recoil is now like a 22/250.

So as I have said in the past, muzzle brake effectiveness is based on how effectively you can vent the gas in any direction except forward, and if you can provide a surface(s) for the gases to push forward on.

Jerry

One of my favorite longrange varmint rigs. Rebuilt Rem 40X with 28" Hart, 8 twist barrel in 22-243AI. McMillan Hunter BR stock, Nightforce 12x42 with Nightforce taper bases and QRW rings.
062247.jpg

Best group:
141948.jpg

Awesome thread, can't wait to get my 3 RUMS back from Kirby so I can post them.

Can someone recommend a good Buttstock Shell Holder? (since so many are visible).

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=271236&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]
Ok, I finally got my 338/378, but the bases and rings arn't in yet.
[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=271238&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]
Ok, let's see if I've figured this out and post another from my elk hunt in '86 where i shot this elk across canyon 550 yards away
[image]www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=250610&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

Here's my baby guys, not near as nice as some I have seen on here, but she shoots like a dream for a stock rifle.
Rem. 700P .308, NF 5.5-22 NP1-RR, NF 20MOA 1-piece and NF 1.125" rings.

Rem700.jpg

Murf

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.