Lets Discuss “Range Etiquette” for a moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well written, add this one :
If at a public Range and a break is taken for all to put out or pick up targets...Go downrange with your target on your target stand, and when you go downrange to check your target is not the time to chat it up with the guy next to you while standing there looking at targets, make it snappy so everyone can get back to shooting.

So many of us are pretty dedicated in the art of not only proper shooting form but also building our own precision loads tuned for our rifles. Many hours is spent in the reloading room with the built up excitement at the next chance to try this stuff out on the range. Over the years I have seen some stupid things that make me realize some people could care less about us load testers or anyone else for that matter! So here are a few things that I absolutely hate and please chime in with what u have experienced! New guys read this and DO NOT DO IT!
1. If the range is wide open except for one person who happens to have a little blue reloading box open with nice neat rows of 5 rounds staggered with gaps between them to carefully keep his loads separated, wearing a can with a magnetospeed mounted to it, KEEP your distance with your stupid AR and refrain from pelting him with brass.
2. As mentioned before he has a can and is not wearing hearing protection so do not come to the next stall away from him carefully lining up your tank break on your 6.5 creedmoor with his face.
3. Do not talk to this guy unless he first talks to u. This is not the barber shop and serious business is taking place.
4. If the rifle he has looks nice and expensive, well it prolly is. If u want to know more about it, use google.
5. Use your 30x powered scope with 2 foot sunshade on it to check your groups. U don't need to go down after every 5 rounds to look at your target. And most importantly don't ask that guy that is mentioned on the first 4 do not do items if he can check your target for u cause u can't see your shots!
6. Lastly and most importantly don't ask for help zeroing your scope because u are trying to do it at 200 yds and not at 25 or 50 yds like normal experienced shooters. Also don't ask for Allen wrench set or tools cause u are to stupid to bring what u need to the range!

I know I forgot some things, help me out fellows on your DO NOT LIST while u are at the range!
Pretty much have to agree with most...except the guy isn't wearing hearing protection....the can is for him....but any public range... I would not go near one with out hearing protection...that's pretty much why I have a 300 yrd range at my house....the only idiot I have to hear ..is me...sucks to be my neighbors!

It amazes me that someone would go to a shooting range and not expect to wear hearing protection. I once had a guy who was shooting a 22 LR complain about my 44 mag pistol being too loud and rudely told me to let him know every time I was going to fire so he could cover his ears. I told him I wasn't going to do that to go rent some hearing protection.

Ha, I remember that happening also. We out at a public range, outside with a hundred yards or so of firing line. He parked next to me and was upset about my 44 mag and 308 raising dust and causing concusions.

I quit the range I was a member of when a guy decided to shoot from the 300 yard bench ...... when I was in front of him on the 100 to 200 yard benches. Don't be that guy.

Instead I bought a farm with a powerline on it that gives me 800 straight yards of solitude. I do not miss the clown show at the gun club.

I have been on both sides of the conversation part so I get it. Try to mind my business. But safety is everybody's business. One time I had rounds going over my head from some signaling who stopped on the road leading to the range and start shooting at a boulder. I nearly put a round through his windshield, which WOULD NOT have been smart. Snuck out the back way instead. They never saw me, till I got to ten feet behind them, and screamed as loud as I could" What in the he'll are you jackasses thinking about !!! You wer

I have been on both sides of the conversation part so I get it. Try to mind my business. But safety is everybody's business. One time I had rounds going over my head from some signaling who stopped on the road leading to the range and start shooting at a boulder. I nearly put a round through his windshield, which WOULD NOT have been smart. Snuck out the back way instead. They never saw me, till I got to ten feet behind them, and screamed as loud as I could" What in the he'll are you jackasses thinking about !!! " Turns out they weren't.

The guy you write about in the list as the "expert" and can not stand anyone asking questions is no "expert" and not a true shooter or sportsman. How can I tell?? The attitude. If some body came over to ask me questions and needed help or just flat out wanted to know more about the gun or what I was doing I would be more then happy to fill Them in with all the info I could. Thats part of the sport. Pass it on to another. And loving your neighbor as yourself.

I understand there are thing's people do that can get annoying. And flat out rude. And then there are some people that think they are to good to give the time of day to you and think there time is worth more then others. Both of these types have the same problem. Well the last type is worth then the first.

I don't agree with this. I am at my local range every weekend for 4-6 hours. I shoot 2800-4000 centerfire rounds each year. And half of them are doing load development. The other half are at ranges from 500-1700+.

There are several regulars, including a couple who are LE trainers that shoot hundreds of rounds weekly from SBRs and handguns. It can be annoying, but they are awesome people honing their skills to teach others. Lots of other guys who are learning and practicing.
Every rifle I own has a brake. From 6CM to .300RUM and 6 others in between. Plus the opportunity to shoot 40 or so other rifles each year.
I welcome questions from lesser experienced shooters. I regularly offer help to people who need it. Both in helping sight in their rifles, with tools to help, and with information.
All of my personal rifles are high end customs. With top tier glass. No big deal when people ask me about them, or want to see what a true high end optic looks like. Most of the other rifles I get to shoot are customs or high end factory rifles too. Always nice to look at sexy toys and discuss them. Not everyone can afford high end toys, but everyone like to look at them.
Only takes a few seconds to help spot for someone. Not everyone getting into the sport can afford high end glass to see 6mm holes at 200+ yards.
It is not that difficult to bore sight a rifle at 100 or even 200. I do it all the time by simply pulling the bolt and looking down the bore and dialing to get on paper. I actually NEVER bore sight and zero a scoped rifle at 25 or 50 yards. Ever. And I zero 40+ rifles a year. If you can't bore sight it past 25 or 50, maybe you need the help.

Helping others is good manners and improves the sport. Everyone starts out sometime. No need to be an elitist and discourage others who need help. If you want the place to yourself, don't go to a public range.

Status
Not open for further replies.