Lets Discuss “Range Etiquette” for a moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my members only range, I usually will not initiate a conversation but will speak when spoken to. I have learned quite a bit from more experienced shooters and have in turn, have helped some. Thankfully there aren't any mag dumpers. Go during the week and have it mostly to yourself.

I am a NRA. certified Range Safety Officer, been one for years. You are correct in your assessment on range eduquite and you are shooting on the wrong range.
Your Safety Officer should have remedied your problem for you.

Load development time is just for that, not socializing, not teaching, not for being annoyed. Any other time it's kewl. I'll teach, chat, visit, help, watch, coach. But not during load dev time. Stay away or risk injured feelings.

^ this!!!

Some people go to the range for 'social' time - they bring friends, family, meet a buddy, etc. Me, I'm there to test something, and I'm probably trying to maintain focus while doing so.

I'm doing *way* better at just accepting that not everyone 'gets' that. I'm usually pretty good at the situational awareness while at the range - I know where other people are on the line, I know when they are walking up to me, or standing there waiting for the range to be cold, etc. and I try to adjust my shooting pace to accommodate their needs without needing prodded.

About the only time I give someone the stink-eye anymore is when they interrupt me during a string for something that *isn't* a safety concern. Ask me a stupid question like 'Is that a .50 cal!?!' mid-string and ya takes your chances.

Fortunately, getting to the range early when the winds are typically calmer and the mirage hasn't started mucking things up tends to alleviate 99% of the problem. The only people there generally are others with like mind-sets ;)

LOVE THIS!!! I agree with Remmy 1000% Have you ever been at Bench #10 with you 40X BR REM in 6mm BR with a 45X Leupold scope , your Blue box of carefully made Rounds, and Note pad, and the Guy with the AR he bought at Dicks, sets up on Bench #9 but sets his target at 100 yards in slot # 11 because he is sure that he is perfectly lined up. So you get showered with .223 brass, from your left , while he is shooting across you lane into a target to the Right of yours. AND YOU TRY TO EXPLAIN!!!! Thank God they usually come with 3 or 4 Boxers of ammo, and they are gone in 30 min or so Just too Funny

Down here in SW New Mexico, I have a ton of BLM land to shoot on. Luckily, I have a friend who owns a good bit of land which includes a really large hill. He let me set up my 2'x2' AR500 steel up on the hill and I just drive to whatever range I want to shoot at, get out and set up the shooting mat and have at it. I can shoot out to 2 miles that way. If I'm doing load development, I just bring my target stand that I made. I never use a bench, just prone with a bipod and rear rest. Just me and the cows.

WOW! What a way to bring new shooters to the game. Nothing stops a person faster than a snarly shooter that thinks the world should revolve around him.
I absolutely hate Google. More misinformation and lies that can shove you down a rat hole never to get out. I really want to talk to or see the part/barrel/can/scope in person.
I only recently was able to purchase a spotting scope and it was not inexpensive and I still can't see the group well enough to understand what it going on. I like to walk down to the target. It allows my barrel to cool and extends my time on the range.
Who is to say what a serious shooter is? By being holier than thou just because you shoot on a different target is BS.
If, as a new shooter, I am to rely on Google, I will have neither time nor money to come to any "perfect" rifle/ammo/scope etc.
I will guarantee the NO one on this forum never asked a question at the range. I won't believe for one micro second that all of the people on this forum go to the range and not talk to other shooters.

When I ask questions, its usually on this site because there are a lot of like minded shooters on this site that are striving for the same results. If I were to go to a public range, I would most likely not ask anyone there questions. You never know who you are dealing with even if they have expensive looking rifles.

Sorry to rub it in to all you that have to deal with the range BS but heres my view to 900 yards, between the trees at the top of the hill
20190616_115657.jpg

I don't shoot at a range. Don't like being around people. The guy who started this thread sounds like a bit of an a hole to me.

What I tell people who want to tell their neighbors what to do, is you should have bought more land, and chose better where you live. It is what I live. Though can never have enough land.

I really don't care if you have to wear hearing protection at the range. If you came to me, and said he I have my hearing protection off can you help me. If there is room I would move.

If I want to check my groupings, I don't care if that bothers you, you are at a public range.

Someone wants to say hello to a you, which is beyond be why, ok.

A gun, car, bike, tool, _____ guy who doesn't want to talk his gizmo??

You should go find a place where you can shoot in private. Not expect everyone else to change for you. I don't care about you. You don't care about me. So we are even.
He's already said he was an ahole. You're miscondtrueing the point, it's not ammo burning time with the ignorant masses. It's focused, attention demanding liaf lia time. Not kumbyah time with trigger pullers.
Besides us more 'mature' folks are entitled to be aholes, we've survived the idiots and would like to continue doing so!

I don't agree with this. I am at my local range every weekend for 4-6 hours. I shoot 2800-4000 centerfire rounds each year. And half of them are doing load development. The other half are at ranges from 500-1700+.

There are several regulars, including a couple who are LE trainers that shoot hundreds of rounds weekly from SBRs and handguns. It can be annoying, but they are awesome people honing their skills to teach others. Lots of other guys who are learning and practicing.
Every rifle I own has a brake. From 6CM to .300RUM and 6 others in between. Plus the opportunity to shoot 40 or so other rifles each year.
I welcome questions from lesser experienced shooters. I regularly offer help to people who need it. Both in helping sight in their rifles, with tools to help, and with information.
All of my personal rifles are high end customs. With top tier glass. No big deal when people ask me about them, or want to see what a true high end optic looks like. Most of the other rifles I get to shoot are customs or high end factory rifles too. Always nice to look at sexy toys and discuss them. Not everyone can afford high end toys, but everyone like to look at them.
Only takes a few seconds to help spot for someone. Not everyone getting into the sport can afford high end glass to see 6mm holes at 200+ yards.
It is not that difficult to bore sight a rifle at 100 or even 200. I do it all the time by simply pulling the bolt and looking down the bore and dialing to get on paper. I actually NEVER bore sight and zero a scoped rifle at 25 or 50 yards. Ever. And I zero 40+ rifles a year. If you can't bore sight it past 25 or 50, maybe you need the help.

Helping others is good manners and improves the sport. Everyone starts out sometime. No need to be an elitist and discourage others who need help. If you want the place to yourself, don't go to a public range.

You are right. I have had many help me in the past and guided me along my way. Somewhere along the road I became an elitist pig who is too important and self centered to help others. That would not make for good dad habits.
I plan to go back to range and help where I can. I will continue to go to the desert for my test and development time. I should bring my test loads and data collection sheets to the range so others can ask why and how do you development ammunition.
Thank you for your words.

Status
Not open for further replies.