Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

So how are they holding the pressures if they are a conversion from BP?
Mine was a .45-70 center fire that has been converted to smokeless muzzleloader by Jeff Hankins. These break-action conversions will not handle the pressures that the beautiful custom bolt "front stuffers" shown in this this thread can and do.

Last edited:
So, I gave the 'Green Monster' a facelift today. Threw on a Boyd's 'Sky Blue' replacement. Whatcha think, fellas? 🤔 Easier on the eyes? 😇
You know I love the blue, bro... 👮‍♂️

But for me, the green is outstanding!!! I'll bet over half my guns now are either partially or heavily greened up in one way or another.

I also personally love the Kryptek!

👍 It pained me to drill holes in that stock for the Kydex, but it was absolutely necessary.
I am currently having a Kydex cheekpiece drilled and installed on a brand new carbon fiber stock, I feel your pain! 😆

It is part of a full custom I am having Black Canyon Customs build for me right now. There was no other way around having the cheekpiece installed, so I am having it drilled and pillared in to keep it from crushing or otherwise damaging the stock.

45 grains of AA 5744 under 300 grain XTP works great in my factory original 10 ML II.
Make sure you have a witness mark on your rod so you always know for sure the rifle's load status.

Have a Savage model 10, haven't shot since moving 12 years ago. Question, is this still consider a white powder ML?
if so what powder is in vogue? Belted bullet no sabots.

For those that have run BH 209 down their SML rig, what results you getting and how many grains by weight?

I'm curious as to why someone would want to use BH 209 in a SML rifle. A friend got a GunWerks rifle that was set up for BH 209, and I fired some rounds through it. BH 209 is supposedly much cleaner than BP, but I sure was not happy with how dirty and nasty it was compared to smokeless. Black soot on my hands, fingerprints on everything, my brass rod tarnished immediately even though I washed it with soap and hot water immediately after using it. I've used the same rod and patch holder on my SMLs and not a hint of tarnishing after hundreds of rounds. Half a dozen shots of BH 209 and it's all tarnished. I've convinced him to get a true SML.

To answer your question, the GunWerks is set up for 100 grains of BH 209.

For those that have run BH 209 down their SML rig, what results you getting and how many grains by weight?
I've shot quite a little BH in my SML, about 20# now. Not sure what "results" means but, it'll shoot .3moa at 500yds and a single hole at 100yds with BH...... IF .... I'm having a good day. Normally charges of 100grs by weight, although I do shoot heavier charges.

brian11........... You have to realize that there are many states that do not allow smokeless propellants during the designated muzzleloader seasons. That is the main reason BH is shot from SML rifles. Another reason is for any major competition, where smokeless propellants are not allowed. No, it isn't as clean as smokeless but, its also not as bad as you're trying to make it appear.

I use IMR8208XBR, Benchmark, H4198, IMR4198 along with BH209. I have no issues cleaning rifles ;)

I'm curious as to why someone would want to use BH 209 in a SML rifle. A friend got a GunWerks rifle that was set up for BH 209, and I fired some rounds through it. BH 209 is supposedly much cleaner than BP, but I sure was not happy with how dirty and nasty it was compared to smokeless. Black soot on my hands, fingerprints on everything, my brass rod tarnished immediately even though I washed it with soap and hot water immediately after using it. I've used the same rod and patch holder on my SMLs and not a hint of tarnishing after hundreds of rounds. Half a dozen shots of BH 209 and it's all tarnished. I've convinced him to get a true SML.

To answer your question, the GunWerks is set up for 100 grains of BH 209.

SML powder not allowed in NM or AZ during ML season. Which is pretty stupid, the most accurate powder should be allowed- I have witnessed a hunter shooting ML with black powder MUCH further than they should..

Last edited:
T
I've shot quite a little BH in my SML, about 20# now. Not sure what "results" means but, it'll shoot .3moa at 500yds and a single hole at 100yds with BH...... IF .... I'm having a good day. Normally charges of 100grs by weight, although I do shoot heavier charges.

brian11........... You have to realize that there are many states that do not allow smokeless propellants during the designated muzzleloader seasons. That is the main reason BH is shot from SML rifles. Another reason is for any major competition, where smokeless propellants are not allowed. No, it isn't as clean as smokeless but, its also not as bad as you're trying to make it appear.

I use IMR8208XBR, Benchmark, H4198, IMR4198 along with BH209. I have no issues cleaning rifles ;)
Thank you for the reply- should have been more clear by results = FPS / groups

Getting a Bestill .45 built on Rem 700 to my door soon- Jeff recommend to start with 112 by weight of BH - I have seen what it does with 87.5 of Benchmark- I can't wait!!

Thanks Andy

T

Getting a Bestill .45 built on Rem 700 to my door soon- Jeff recommend to start with 112 by weight of BH - I have seen what it does with 87.5 of Benchmark- I can't wait!!

Thanks Andy
You'll be happy :)
I've known Jeff for a few years and shot with him at Friendship. He built my rifle.
My first node with Benchmark is right at 88grs right at 2,900fps. 8208 is right at 88.25grs.
Arrowhead 300gr XLD's.

i am on my second one now, 1st was a savage action with a brux barrel from hankins, crazy accurate , opened my mouth to a buddy who had been fighting with a T/C which became my problem to get to shoot, he bought mine and left me with out, my second is on a Stiller action, rock creek barrel AG stock , trigger tech- now i am playing the 1000 yard game with this one,simply amazing what these guns can do.

T

Thanks Andy
my node came at 90 grain benchmark 2970fps 302 pittman hardcore