Lessons learned from first mountain hunt

HRstretch

Was thinking about the things that opened my eyes from my first backpack mountain hunt.

To begin with, the elevation was no more than 6100 down to 5800 feet, we came from an elevation of 500 feet. We camped on one side of a ridge at 5800 feet and climbed up and over each day and hunted/glassed along the ridge line. We would walk about two to three miles each day.

First eye opener was to dress down on the initial climb. We sweated to much with all of our layers and once we stopped, we froze our butts off until the sun came up. My BIL started bringing dry shirts to change into once we got to our glassing location.

Second was once we found a spot to glass, was finding a rock free spot to sit down on. Some sort of cushion would have made the long glassing sessions better. After a couple of days we chose spots with more grass which helped.

Third was that my 54 year old knees did not like the accent and decent each day. By day three I was dreading the assent because I hadn't trained enough to get into shape, but I feared the decent. Each step we took on the decent was on loose rocky ground and I was in grave fear of blowing out a knee or twisting an ankle.

Fourth when setting up the tent make sure your rain fly is secure, so at night, while it is raining, it doesn't blow into the flap and allow water to get onto the tent floor and short out your smart phone.

Was thinking about the things that opened my eyes from my first backpack mountain hunt.

To begin with, the elevation was no more than 6100 down to 5800 feet, we came from an elevation of 500 feet. We camped on one side of a ridge at 5800 feet and climbed up and over each day and hunted/glassed along the ridge line. We would walk about two to three miles each day.

First eye opener was to dress down on the initial climb. We sweated to much with all of our layers and once we stopped, we froze our butts off until the sun came up. My BIL started bringing dry shirts to change into once we got to our glassing location.

Second was once we found a spot to glass, was finding a rock free spot to sit down on. Some sort of cushion would have made the long glassing sessions better. After a couple of days we chose spots with more grass which helped.

Third was that my 54 year old knees did not like the accent and decent each day. By day three I was dreading the assent because I hadn't trained enough to get into shape, but I feared the decent. Each step we took on the decent was on loose rocky ground and I was in grave fear of blowing out a knee or twisting an ankle.

Fourth when setting up the tent make sure your rain fly is secure, so at night, while it is raining, it doesn't blow into the flap and allow water to get onto the tent floor and short out your smart phone.

First, I hope your clothes aren't cotton.

Second, Cut a Thermarest Ridgerest in half to sit on. The heat they radiate is mind blowing. At night put it under your inflatable sleeping pad.

Third, obviously the better the shape your in the better the hunt. Squats are easily my favorite mtn exersize. The others matter too, but thank me later for the benefit you get from squats. Start with just squatting your body weight. Get the best backcountry boot you can afford... My Salmon Quest provide mind blowing stablity, If its wet or creek crossings are in order wear gators. The Salomons will keep your feet dry if you use gators in wet or snowy conditions. Crossing a creek? One slip of a rock or log and a foot in 12" of water with gators on and your bone dry.

Forth, you musta been **** tired to not zip a vestabule flap shut. Sixmoons Design and Tarptent my favorite back country shelters.

Fifth, Keep at it! You only live once!!!!!

Did you use trekking poles? If not they can be a real help expecially downhill when loaded.

What I have found works the best for the initial climb is to strap my warmer/heavier (wool) clothes to my freighter pack frame (Cabelas Outfitter), then put them on when I get into my hunting area. Stash the pack frame so it's not making noise during the hunt.

That pack frame makes it easier to get my heavy stuff up there, and I don't need to walk all the way out when I need it.

Hope that helps!

Ron

No cotton. Polyester long johns. Wool or fleece outer layer.

Used mono pod shooting stick as a trekking pole, it helped a lot.

Outer rain fly was zipped but not staked down. Had the tent inside zipper not closed at the bottom allowing rain fly to funnel a small lethal amount of water into tent.

Sent a write up to Ken to publish in the online magazine.

New Mexico unit 30, first rifle season 10-31 to 11-4. Lincoln National Forest public land. 7mm STW 140 gr. berger, Vortex Viper 6x20x44 scope, Bushnell 1600 range finder, Vortex Diamondback 10x42 bino's, 311yards, 15 degree down angle, 3x3 mule deer, Elderbrock backpack, Wildfame Nation flip blade knife.
I

HRstretch- I know this post is a little old, but I figured I would add a few things.

1. Look in to Ultralight Backpacking. I've been able to get my pack weight down to 30 lbs. That's everything to include rifle, optics and enough food for 4 days. We hunt in mild temperatures though (about 40 deg. At night).

2. Like someone else pointed out... Trekking poles.

3. Kinesiology Tape - My knees give me trouble too. I take this with me and use it on my knees on the hikes in and out. This past year I hiked out with a 135 lbs pack and my knees didn't give me even a second of trouble. It seems like BS, but the stuff works.

Biggest lesson learned after years of hard times under a ruck or in the mountains with newbees, is stop 10 minutes after starting and make them take their hawk gear off.

Better to be dressed very light and cool when climbing or hard movement AND then put on warm at the stops or end as you cool down.

I think that was the biggest eye opener, was that we were overdressed for the day hike and we payed the price when we stopped, because we were soaking wet from perspiring.

I think that was the biggest eye opener, was that we were overdressed for the day hike and we payed the price when we stopped, because we were soaking wet from perspiring.

Yep! Perspiration (I don't like to sweat :D) in cold weather is a no no ... your body is telling you something, shed off a layer before sweating. lightbulb

It's all about layers, layers, layers and the ability to adjust accordingly for the physical activity. For me, if I keep my toes, head/face, and hands warm and dry, I last longer out in the cold.

I dress in layers (of blaze orange), normally the lightest clothing (including head gear and gloves) my body can tolerate for the activity. I normally feel warmth on my head 1st so my balaclava is the first to go followed by the gloves just enough to cool off enough ... and goes back on as required.

When I get to the destination and the physical activity is reduced, I put on layers as required.

BTW, my hunting buddies gave me the nickname "Eskimo Ed". :):rolleyes::cool:

Now that you have that lessons learned, you'll have a much a better hunting experience next time.

Cheers!

The damage to your knees is the impact going down, use the trekking poles to minimize this. Use Seam Sealer on your tent and fly, the material may be waterproof but when they stitch it the thread pokes holes and water will leak in. Synthetic materials only, no cotton, PERIOD. In Yosemite if you need a rescue from the side of El Capitan because you are unprepared, AKA down sleeping bags, a leaky unsealed rain fly, cotton clothes, etc., you will be charged for the rescue. Usually to the tune of ~$30,000 for creating what the NPS deems a "hazardous situation". I have been fortunate to learn from others mistakes thru most of my climbing and mountaineering years.
Those butt pads for turkey hunting work for long periods of sitting. When I train hiking with a backpack I carry at least 5 gallons of water up the hill then dump it out so I don't beat up my knees on the way down. Layered clothing for sure.
Thanks for sharing, good post !

Biggest lesson learned after years of hard times under a ruck or in the mountains with newbees, is stop 10 minutes after starting and make them take their hawk gear off.

Better to be dressed very light and cool when climbing or hard movement AND then put on warm at the stops or end as you cool down.
The best advice I can give in this area is to simply look at what your guide is wearing.

You are much, much better off starting off a little cold than to overdress. Once you start sweating it's already too late and that's when hypothermia can hit you hard and quick and you probably won't realize it's setting in until you're already in trouble.

Yep! Perspiration (I don't like to sweat :D) in cold weather is a no no ... your body is telling you something, shed off a layer before sweating. lightbulb

It's all about layers, layers, layers and the ability to adjust accordingly for the physical activity. For me, if I keep my toes, head/face, and hands warm and dry, I last longer out in the cold.

I dress in layers (of blaze orange), normally the lightest clothing (including head gear and gloves) my body can tolerate for the activity. I normally feel warmth on my head 1st so my balaclava is the first to go followed by the gloves just enough to cool off enough ... and goes back on as required.

When I get to the destination and the physical activity is reduced, I put on layers as required.

BTW, my hunting buddies gave me the nickname "Eskimo Ed". :):rolleyes::cool:

Now that you have that lessons learned, you'll have a much a better hunting experience next time.

Cheers!
For me it's toes, ears, and fingers and it's a challenge because I've had mild frostbite before with all three so my circulation is already compromised. My feet get cold in October and usually don't warm up until late May.

Thanks for the insights! I'm currently training for a backpacking elk hunt this fall and your experience is going to help me.
1. I sweat more than a sinner in the front row in church for no reason other than that's just how God made me, so it is a real challenge to stay dry and as such I'll probably be bringing extra clothes just for the early morning hike up the mountain.
2. I have bad knees and, though I've been doing squats, I'm going to get some tape, and trekking poles, if for nothing else, just for the descent.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts