Len Backus and Robb Wiley discuss some of the best elk hunting calibers - Video

Le
Robb Wiley of Non-Typical Outfitters and I got into a couple of good discussions recently on video. The setting is up in the mountain wilderness camp in between our shooting class sessions a couple weeks ago.

The topic of this first one is "Good cartridges for killing elk". We talk about the effectiveness of various 30 caliber cartridges, my own personal use of several 7mm cartridges and a growing interest in various 6.5mm cartridges.

Hi Len....I enjoyed the video very much and also noticed that you mentioned a thread about "6.5 kills on elk". I missed that one! Could you tell me where it is please,.......rich

I had the good fortune to take my first bull with Rob at the Greys River camp some years ago. I told Rob I was shooting a 6.5x284 (single shot Cooper Phoenix bolt rifle). At the time I remember Rob had a look on his face like, "thats different". He knew I shot a lot and in casual long range competitions. Fortunately as he states in the above video, one well placed shot in the vitals is all it took. I'll always have one in my stable but for elk I too have become enamored with the 28 Nosler and I'm really liking this one! See you soon Rob. : )

View attachment 79417 View attachment 79418

is that a dead down range 28 nosler in your pictures? if not what is it?

A big 33 cal has a lot of penetration but I still like the way a big fast 30 just smacks them dead. Last elk was with those Barnes 175...fast. Switched from the 190/200 lead since most kills are under 600...but there is always those 200's with just in case.
Oh yea...braked.

9CD83459-3946-4EB5-A625-8903CA29BD29.jpeg
My grandson shot this spike a few weeks ago with one shot from a 6.5-06 at 530 at yards using 142 LRAB. Hit it just behind the front shoulder and it dropped on the spot. Best elk caliber????

Cut through all the crap! 300 Weatherby! quit arguing.
I'm with you pal...but now with a suppressor. Save your hearing, elk can't tell where that sonic crack came from, and about 40% less recoil. Everything I shoot now is suppressed, even sage rats. All good, nothing bad.

Wheeler,
I feel the same about brakes. None of my hunting rifles wear a brake for that reason. Last year, I jumped into the suppressor world and I'll never go back. Shooting my suppressed 338 WM prone, if kicks about like a 308 and without the concussion. Another bonus is you can spot your hits.

I also used my suppressed 308 to take 4 whitetails (one was a nice 142" 8 point) this past season. They had no idea where the shot came from, and they also didn't really spook much. They mostly looked around and then went back to feeding in the food plot.

Yes...wish I had been using one for the last 60 years. Might still have my hearing. Discovered them in NZ and now have all my buddies turned on. They say same as you. Last year I watched a friend shooting suppressed .30-378, kill a bull at 200 yds. The rest of the herd, about eighty, trotted, not ran, about 300 yds, and went back to feeding. Amazing. We now shoot everything suppressed...even sage rats. Use our .30 cans on .17s, .20s, and .22s. From 50', sound like B.B. guns. No more muffs.

I'm submitting a form 1 for a suppressor for my dad since he tried out mine (he's being added to my trust). He puts on earpro before shooting, even when hunting due to severe tinnitus. With a suppressor, he doesn't have a problem. He said it sounds like a .22 mag going off, which is something he can handle in a hunting situation.

Have you had a chance to use your 6.5 on elk yet?

over the years I have killed well over a dozen elk and twice that many mule deer with my 264 win mag mostly with 140 gr Hornady and later years Hornady SST. They going out at about 3265. Yes, elk will go a ways sometimes with shots around the illustrated 5 but not that far, however, less meat ruined and I do enjoy elk meat. Most were about 100-400 yards only one at 514. Most of the time we worked closer for a shot. Oh! ya, I would have liked to have had a longer range capability. What would I have given for my present 300RUM, optics and new knowledge. But you know, I was able to get an elk almost every year. I've only been working on this long range development for a short time and it is a lot of fun.

over the years I have killed well over a dozen elk and twice that many mule deer with my 264 win mag mostly with 140 gr Hornady and later years Hornady SST. They going out at about 3265. Yes, elk will go a ways sometimes with shots around the illustrated 5 but not that far, however, less meat ruined and I do enjoy elk meat. Most were about 100-400 yards only one at 514. Most of the time we worked closer for a shot. Oh! ya, I would have liked to have had a longer range capability. What would I have given for my present 300RUM, optics and new knowledge. But you know, I was able to get an elk almost every year. I've only been working on this long range development for a short time and it is a lot of fun.

This is the WOP I just built a 6.5 STW 140gr @ 3550 fps That will reach out
and get it. I love the 6.5 I have been shooting 6.5/06 AI for years and there
is no game in North America and most game in Africa the 6.5 can't kill. I hunt
antelope, deer, elk and bear and have not lost one yet. I am blessed to live in
Montana. So don't be afraid to go after em with your 6.5. The wop

I had the good fortune to take my first bull with Rob at the Greys River camp some years ago. I told Rob I was shooting a 6.5x284 (single shot Cooper Phoenix bolt rifle). At the time I remember Rob had a look on his face like, "thats different". He knew I shot a lot and in casual long range competitions. Fortunately as he states in the above video, one well placed shot in the vitals is all it took. I'll always have one in my stable but for elk I too have become enamored with the 28 Nosler and I'm really liking this one! See you soon Rob. : )

View attachment 79417 View attachment 79418

What Stock is that?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.