Len Backus and Robb Wiley discuss some of the best elk hunting calibers - Video

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Len Backus, Aug 15, 2017.

1. One Hole

One Hole Well-Known Member

Friends. Focus on impact energy not a specific caliber or cartridge. Any cartridge delivering 2000 ftlbs on target will kill elk. More is better to the extent you can hit what you are aiming at. Muzzle brakes are godsends. Make sure your bullets are designed for your probable ranges. Most of the premium bullets out there have minimum impact velocity of 2000fps. Paper is easy to kill at 1000 yds but do you have an expanding bullet with 2000ftlbs?

2. highbrow

highbrow Member

270 Win with 130 Nosler Partition. Have a lot of rifles but this is usually what I grab

Tom Markey, waltercrouse and kirby757 like this.
  3. dana bodnar

dana bodnar Well-Known Member

Hard to beat a 300 win-mag for Elk 6.5 in my opinion is to light, you need good knock down power and alot of energy.

teesquare, olympicmotors and BigGrizz like this.
  4. Doug Herold

Doug Herold Active Member

Whatever u get, put a break on it. The recoil issue goes away

teesquare likes this.
  5. tctt3

tctt3 Well-Known Member

I have a question that I’m having trouble finding with search bar. What do you guys site your gun in at? I’m at 100 yards currently, but that’s quite a drop at 300-400 for a 300WM, or a 264. Do you guys like them sited in at 200 yards, or 300 yards. It seems like most are taken at Rob‘s place in Wyoming at or around 300 yards. However, it seems like quite a few of you have taken it in the 6 to 800 yard range. That 300 yd site in sure would take a lot of calculations out in the event you’re at 100 to 400.

6. Labaherd

Labaherd Active Member

When I got my new rifle last year and was learning how to shoot it and how the optics worked I was taught to always zero it in at 200 yards. Different elevations will also change your zero. Where Non-Typical is they are in the 8 thousand and up range. So if I used my 4 thousand foot turret I would be shoot high. So you will need to check your rifles once you get into camp and make the necessary adjustments to the altitude. I am sure there are people on this forum that know a heck of a lot more about this then I do. So please correct me if I miss spoke.

7. Wolf76

Wolf76 Well-Known Member

If you use any ballistic calculator, you'll see the difference is rather small. I'd guess less than. 75" at most hunting distances. My gun is about 5/8".

cathead likes this.
  8. kyleESMD

kyleESMD New Member

whats the scope and build ?

9. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

300 Weatherby Mag for years, doing pretty much the same thing with my 30/06 178gr bullets.

Shot placement is everything,,, at least it works for me that is.

Western Canada Don

10. 7mmpredator

7mmpredator Well-Known Member

The rig is a Rem 700 action in 28 Nosler, Brux barrel, Jewel trigger, Mcmillan Game Warden Stock in Kuiu Verde, G7Nightforce scope put together by GA Precision.

Hse0785 likes this.
  11. USMC Cowboy

USMC Cowboy New Member

7mmPredator

that is one nice build for sure :) Hope it performs well for you.

Hse0785 likes this.
  12. Bobby Blkout

Bobby Blkout New Member

I have been thinking about putting a break on my 338WM, but have been worried about killing the rifles accuracy.

13. BigGrizz

BigGrizz Well-Known Member

You may need to work up a new load, but thats doubtful.

14. Broncoguy

Broncoguy Well-Known Member

.338 Lapua Imp.... 300g Berger
    Good night