Leica's New Geovid HD-B

Im interested to know how they will ping at $1500+yds... Glad they are working well so far! Im really considering getting a pair i just want to know how the ranging is...

Did not get a chance to test the rangefinder but shot with bc out to 700. It is spot on with my Kestrel. I am one happy camper!

Tried mine this week. Love optics, love rangefinder, love having input data immediately available (pressure, angle, and temperature). Not so keen on the ballistic computer. Initially, I was most put off because it only uses G1 BC and has no option to change sight height from default of nearly 2".

Biggest problem is with the zero distance. No way to transfer my usual x inches high at 100 that I input into Shooter. I thought I could fix that by conversion (e.g., 2.5" high yields zero at 280 yards). Binoculars gave me fits trying to match my Shooter output (which I trust) to Geovid read out. I finally figured out that, even though the online form for programming the card allows for zero to be set at exact yardage (like 280), binoculars still go off of 100/200/300 zero. Once I figured that out, Shooter and Geovids started matching.

So to make best use of them, I will have to tweak my zero on my rifles to correspond to a set 200 or 300 yard zero.

Only other minor gripes are: 1) I wish they would give me 1/4 MOA readings, such as 10.25, rather than whole minutes or total clicks. That is, they round off to give nearest MOA, but if 1/4 minute option is chosen, it gives total clicks, so 10.25 is either "10" or "41" for output (mil options are same way). 2) would like option of multiple trajectories to be stored on the micro SD card. And, 3) since I will have to use multiple cards for different rifles, the changing should be easier. As it is, one has to unscrew the battery compartment lid, remove battery, and use tweezers (they even send tweezers in the box) to insert a new card. I can see all kinds of potential problems trying to do that in the field. They might turn into regular binoculars in a hurry if battery cap drops into rocks/leaves/snow/mud/etc. At a minimum, there should be a tether to keep cap tied to the binocular body.

All in all, still a great tool. I will set up the computer for allowing quick eval of modest shots (eg, 500 yards or less) or steep uphill/downhill shots. Will still set up my long shots through shooter. After all, still need to account for wind, spin drift, and coriolis effect on the long shots.

If anyone else has figured a way around these problems, please post them. I would hate to have to read the manual.

Just realized some of my prior post got lost, and when I retyped, forgot to mention ranging ability.

I was at Flathead lake this week, and could range single tree on ridgeline, with easy repeatability, at 1930, until smoke and lake haze moved in, and then I was down to about 1700. Individual cows around 1000 were easy.

At home, best I could do was on train cars parked at nearly a right angle at 2150, in bright sun.

Out at my shooting range on the prairie, in bright sun/mirage, I could hit my 2'x4' 500 yard backstop, 4'x4' 1000 yard back stop, an old 2'x4' backstop at 1040, and a small dirt mound at 1385. Dirt mound was hardest to get reading, but I got enough repeat readings to be sure. I got a bounce back from slight rise behind it in the 2200 yard range, but could not repeat that.

None of my testing was done with tripod, just leaning against side of my truck or deck rail.

Finally got to look through these binos today at Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix. The optics guy and I went out front and tried to see how far we could range. We had high clouds with enough overcast to block the direct sunlight. I was able to range a palm tree at 1760 in less than a second multiple times before deciding that I no longer wanted to be standing off the edge of the sidewalk with people driving into the Costco nearby. The optics guy then said I should try to range a 230 kv pole. My hat brim was not stiff enough to steady the binos for a reading but handed the binos to over to him and we were both shocked when we he got a reading of over 2600 (I think it was like 2624 or something). He quickly handed them to me to see the reading before it disappeared. This was the 1st time I had ever personally witnessed any rangefinder reach 1.5 miles (don't know anyone with a vectronix). We tried a couple more times but could not get it to repeat this reading. Both of us realized that we should have grabbed a tripod before going outside. He then had to head back into the store so we could not test them outside any further.

Another thing I noticed is the increased field of view and clarity is amazing when compared the swarovski el 10x42, leica ultravid 10x42 (my dad's binos), and leupold gold ring hd 10x42 that I have spent time the most time looking through. It would be interesting to compare them in low light and when the sun is on the horizon. I also did a side by side test with the el ranges at the store. The font size is larger and brighter indoors with the el ranges. I am colorblind though so the leica led color is easier for me to see with green backgrounds. The leica looks more orange and less red to my eyes. Wish it was blue color but oh well.

Now I have to figure out if I want to buy them at Sportsman's or wait for them in the mail.

If you have a micro-SD card in them for your particular bullet and load data how far will it give you the corrected shooting distance for an angle shot.

Per the instructions custom loads will be corrected from 100-1000 yards and 100-875 yards for the 12 loads that come with the binos. No support for archery yet.

"When using ballistics curves from the memory card,
ranges up to 925m/1000yds are displayed."

"Ballistic output values are only specified up to a
range of 800m/875 yards on safety grounds. In
addition, only the range actually measured is​
specified."

I did notice when I was using them that it still showed the angle of incline further than 1000 (but didn't check when I ranged at 1760) so ballistic programs like Shooter can be used. I think leica knew that correction further than this was a waste since the binos do not correct for spin drift or coriolis effect and no wind correction (so a wind meter is still needed and possibly a cheat sheet).

I personally would limit distances in hunting situations to a second or less of bullet flight time since a lot can change in even a second. This puts most elk rifles in the 700-850 range anyways, so I think these binos would cover all rifle ranges used by most hunters.

the problem is there just isn't enough of these out there yet. honestly I would buy some right now, but I am not going to cabelas or sportsmans wharehouse (only people I know that have them) and paying 3 grand and another $200 in sales tax. if I could buy some for 10% off with free shipping and no sales tax I would do it. I suggest others are in the same boat. the usual companies that will sell for this don't have stock and if they do why would they discount it. I would love to test them out just can't get a deal on them yet.

I too am in the market for a good range finding bino. I have narrowed it down to 2. I will either be buying the Swarovski EL range 10 x 42 or the Leica 10 x 42 HD-B. In you guys opinion which is the better set of binocular/range finder combo?

I too am in the market for a good range finding bino. I have narrowed it down to 2. I will either be buying the Swarovski EL range 10 x 42 or the Leica 10 x 42 HD-B. In you guys opinion which is the better set of binocular/range finder combo?

I tried the Swaro at store (outside) when they came out and was hugely disappointed. They were the same old rangefinder that had been available for years from Swaro--meaning a huge aiming circle and slow refresh time. Ranging capability did not seem any better than the comparable Leica Geovid HD's that I have been using. The Swaro also would not do anything shorter than about 30 yards, which is an issue for bow hunting. Also did not like the feel or the poor readout visibility in the sun. Glass was great, as expected, but rangefinder part was nowhere near the Leica.

I have loved my original Geovids, then the HD's that I used for last year or so, and now I have upgraded to HD-B. I'd take any Leica over swaro rangefinding model (even though until HD lenses came out, Swaro may have had slight edge in glass). I had some frustration at first with HD-B, but think they will be great for hunting. Good enough for modest range alone, and good, quick data for longer shots.

The hd-b's that I received have worked great so far. No problems with the ballistic corrections out to 1000yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.