Leica -vs- Swarovski

wildcat

Ok guys, I have my money, and I am ready to buy a good range finder. I have been using a Bushnell 1000 Yarding Pro, I like it, but I am ready for a High Tech range finder that will read consistantly out to 1200 to 1500 yards. Bill Baily, if you are reading this post, I am sorry I never called you regarding the Swarovski. I am still trying to decide if I want the Swarovski or the Leica. My question is, is the Swarovski worth the extra $340.00? I found a Leica for $549.99 and a Swarvoski for $889.00. I have heard from only a few regarding this topic, and I would like some more info from poeple, from this post, before I make my final decision. Is the Swarovski that much better than the Leica? Will I get better readings at longer distances with Swarovski? I really don't mind spending the extra money if Swarovski's are that much better. However, if Leica is just as good and there is really not that much of a difference between the two, than I will probably go with the Leica. Furthermore, I needed a pair of good binos, so I just did the same thing regarding binoculars. I asked questions, however, I was able to go to a gun shop and look through all the ones I heard were worth looking at. I looked at three different pairs of binoculars, Swarovski 10x50 Binos at $1,599.99, Stiener 12x50 binos at $859.99 and Leupold 12x50 Olympic Wind River Binos for $389.99. They were all great and of course the Swarovskis were very nice and clear. I went with the Leupold 12x50 Wind Rivers, they were very impressive for the price. After looking through all of them, I couldn't justify spending $1,200.00 or $500.00 more. But when it come to range finding, I don't mind spending the extra cash. If you don't have an accurate way to measure distances, than your going to have many misses in the field. Any info would be great. I did see a post on here where you could vote regarding range finders. However, it did not include Swarovski in the pole. The overall winner in that pole was Leica in a blow out.

Thanks
Wildcat

I have owned both a Leica 1200 LRF and a Swarvoski 1500 and the Swarvorski will out range the Leica in less than optimum conditions by a considerable distance. In bright sunlight in the desert on days when the Leica would not range past 600 yards the Swarvoski would range out to 1030 yards consistantly, for me the Swarvoski rules.
For price I bought mine at Hunters Edge(660--627-2277) for less than the prices that you quoted

I posted on that thread, I love my Geovids by leica. If you can part with about 1600 bills you can have great glass and a 1300 yard rangefinder. Mine will range reflective targets at the max range consistantly in bright sunlight. Dogs at over 1000, trees at 1200, and grass at 1150. My only complaint would be the lack of tripod mount. After a few hunts spent looking thru a spotting scope, then getting the rangefinders out, then re-aquiring the target for a range is a struggle. Plus you get a headache from clenching one eye shut. Swaro makes great junk, top shelf! The idea of one less piece of equipment in the field made me spend the bucks.

The answer to your question is easy. Go with the Leica Geovids. That way you have ultra long range ranging capability AND a great pair of binos all in one unit!

If I didn't already have a pair of Swaro 10x42 slc's and a Leica 1200 LRF, I would buy a pair of Geovids in a heartbeat. Hell, maybe I'll get a pair anyway! I just can't talk myself into the Swaro rangefinder yet. I used one on 5 hunts this year and it had no problem ranging things past 1500 yards but I absolutely loathe the huge aiming circle, and the gigantic lasing button on top is hard to push without moving the whole unit off target. It also has no case or lens covers so your 900 dollars worth of glass is hanging out waiting to gather dust and scratches.

Fix those few things and it will be perfect.

I think Leupolds new RX 4 will be worth waiting for based on the info I got from the shot show.

Also, Pete Lincoln (the German dude) is reportedly meeting with Leica to inform them of our wishes for a new compact rangefinder. It might just go to 2000 yards and cost less than $1,000. Time will tell.

The Leica 1200 lrf in the meanwhile is still one heck of a unit. For over 2 years, it was the best and it is still hard to beat. However, when I shot a buffalo last month from long range, the Leica would not give me a reading! The sun was at a bad angle but that was no excuse. I have had it read much smaller critters at around the same range with no problem before. For some reason, it choked that day. Thank goodness I had the Swaro there to give me a reading of 1066! Beamed it 4 times in a row with no problems.

My Leupold Binoculars are on the way, so I am not looking for a combo. I am just looking for the Range Finder. It sounds like you would pick the Swarovskis if they change a few things. Thanks for the feed back, hopefully I will continue to get some more feed back. I will make my final decision tomorrow night.

Thanks, Wildcat

in the last tree or four years I sold all my Bushnell, Leupold, Bec, and Burris and bought only Swarovsky. The range finder is very good and is as a rangefinder and in the same time a monocular very very clear 8x magnification. I consistently misure out to 1000 yards in the fog or light rain. The same for the optics of miy rifles. I use a Sauer 90 7 rem with Swarovsky 6-24x50 tds-4, a sauer 202 243 win and a sauer 202 308 win both with Swarovsky 6-18x50 Tds-4. They are a little bit less strong than Leupold, but very very clear. Only on my Heckler and Koch use a Scmidt and Bender.. As Binocular I use an old 2 war Zeiss of my grandfather..

L.

Wildcat,
After a couple of min of playing with the Swaro 1500, I immediatly sold my less than a year old LRF 1200s and bought the Swaro.

I would have to say that it depends on how far you plan to shoot as to if the Swaro is worth the additional money. With my Leica's I could get them to range about anything at 600 to 800 yards, cedar trees and other large objects were pretty good to 1000 to 1200 yards, anything over that forget it. With my swaro's 1000yds is pretty easy to get readings and I can range things at 1800 to even 2000 yards that the leica's had trouble with at 1000. Yes, I did keep my leica's long enough to do a side by side comparison. Hands down the swaro's will outrange them by 500 to 800 yards.

I do agree with GG though about the large aiming circle and the button. I hate them both (but not as much as I like being able to range whatever I want). As far as the peice of junk they give you to carry them......I threw that away and bought a Fieldline brand belt pouch from Wall Mart (a good Arkansas company /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif) for about 7 or 8 bucks. It fits perfect and keeps the rangefinder protected.

The only other bad thing is..........there is no doubt someone will introduce one better and cheaper. But if you keep waiting for the next better and cheaper one, you will never buy one!

Meister, i wanted to send you a pm, but the system wont let me, i notice you have the gemtec link on your posts,
have you anything to do with the company? i'd be interested as i'm always on the look out for a good moderator.
regards Pete

I'm not a member of the company, just a fan. I have 4 of their suppressors and I get to test all the new stuff as it comes into the dealer. Their new quick connect HVT system is amazingly quiet. It's quieter than my TPR-S 30 cal. shooting it without ears in a small room is tolerable.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts