Leica Cust. Service?

So now that I know I can't afford to fix my Leica 8 x 50's what medium priced model is thought to be the best value. Do we have any source like the old days with BetterViewDesired to honestly compare products. It does me no good to have 50 people respond with "I have brand x and they work great!". I have Swarovski Big Eyes but need personal binocs for casual sweeps. How about sources I should be able to trust with used Swarovskis?

if you're looking for best value $500 binos, try new meopta meopros or older used meostars. As far as truly objective data, no there is not. Nobody wants to come out and say "brand A is clearly better than brand B, and here's why" in any publication.

As far as your binos, what did you mean by "black market" on your leicas? Were they reported as stolen or something? Swaro warned me about that problem before buying anything used - they even offered to confirm the serial number for any of their binoculars if I emailed it to them. Swaro has great customer service IMO.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it all worked out for you Mike! I just sent in a Email because of a problem I am having with My 2000-B RF. Seeing this thread gives me hope!

I had a Leica LRF 600 (IIRC). Bought it new, and it fogged up when it was three years old. I sent it back to Leica, and they replied a week later saying it was out of warranty. They also said that model was no longer available, and could not be repaired, but they would sell me a new LRF 1200 for "cost" at $500. I paid the $500 and they sent me a new LRF 1200. I have since moved on to Zeiss BRF, and finally Swarovski EL Range. I haven't owned any Leica products since then. My guide has the Leica RF Binos (not sure what model or power). He has had them about 5 years, and he loves them. He compared them with my Swaro EL Range, and said he thought his Leica were better. (His opinion- I disagree).

Last edited:
Glad to hear it all worked out for you Mike! I just sent in a Email because of a problem I am having with My 2000-B RF. Seeing this thread gives me hope!

Small update. I got a email from Leica this morning and they say they are going to email me a return shipping label! So far sounds good!

if you're looking for best value $500 binos, try new meopta meopros or older used meostars. As far as truly objective data, no there is not. Nobody wants to come out and say "brand A is clearly better than brand B, and here's why" in any publication.

As far as your binos, what did you mean by "black market" on your leicas? Were they reported as stolen or something? Swaro warned me about that problem before buying anything used - they even offered to confirm the serial number for any of their binoculars if I emailed it to them. Swaro has great customer service IMO.
Black market means I bought them many years ago from a NY based wholesaler and he got them from another country after manipulating difference in currency. They still are doing it every day. To hold their prices, this is how Leica hurts their sales from the few people that know what black market entails. It is the exact same as those meant for the U.S, Market. Best thing Leica could do is give a one time pass to fix black market models at same prices as U.S. sold ones. Might help them keep customers, because I am not happy now that I am retired and money is tight to be looking at a pair I probably paid $1200 for twenty or so years ago that are paperweights. Hard to believe someone in the U.S, can't make a living fixing these bastard units.

My crf 1600 has gotten a little 'opaque' also. Unless it is bright sunny skies, the view gets pretty dim. Also, I am having problems getting ranges on deer beyond 400 yards on flat ground. Still ranges beyond that on really large objects, however. Looks like I will be contacting Leica also. My unit is about 5 years old.

Well, I contacted Leica CS about my 1600 not working properly. Leica sent me a return label, I returned my 1600, and I now have a new replacement 1600 unit!
Thank You Leica. Awesome Customer Service!

Small update. I got a email from Leica this morning and they say they are going to email me a return shipping label! So far sounds good!

Another update. They sent me a New 2000-B RF in place of the bad one I sent in.
They paid the to and from shipping. Place replaced the Faulty RF Free of charge. I am happy to say the least!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.