Learn me on 300RUM rifles?!

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
First off, Happy New Year to everyone.

Here's my query.
I have a hankering for a new toy in 300RUM, have never owned one and I think everyone here knows I love the 300WM and like the 300 Weatherby a lot even though I have not currently got that barrel screwed in.
I have been looking at the Rem 700 Sendero II, which I have a few of already in 300WM, the Rem 700 Long Range and the Rem 700 AWR. I briefly looked at the SPS, but not really interested. I couldn't find a 5R anywhere.
Now, I really know nothing about the LR or AWR. I got conflicting pricing on the LR with what appears to be 2 different stock brands/styles.

Which of these rifles, apart from the Sendero, is a better buy and should I be concerned with QC??

Cheers.

:confused:

Good Morning MM. As you are "Down Under", it is difficult to give a recommendation. Unfortunately, there can always be QC issues with 'factory' rifles, Remington maybe more than others. All one needs to do is look around on the forums (using the search feature). Personally, I have seen many issues with their extractors in the UMs. It is not known to me what Rem. Authorized Factory Service is available to you, there, but it's generally an easy fix,, so are any feed issues. Unfortunate. I don't know the sales figures, but maybe its because Rem. sells more rifles than the others is why we hear about their 'problems'. I do not know that Rem. is the sales leader, though.

MM, Great cartridge. While I can't help you on Remington as I only have 1, my wifes 243. I can tell you I was intrigued by the cartridge and bought 1 in 2001. I have rebarreled since. There is something about sending a 180 accubond 3400 or loading a 153 Hammer and holding on hair past 400. I have a 12 twist so it keeps me in lighter bullets. When I lose this barrel I will be contacting Steve at Hammer (allready talked to him) and decide wich way to go. Tom

Shortgrass,
Thanks for the reply.

We have one Rem importer here, they're just up the road from me, I have a good report with them and have had 'issues' dealt with in the past.
Their QC seems hit and miss just like anywhere else.
What I would like to know is if the B&C stocks are up to par. I have them on my 264/338 Model 70 EW's, they seem fine, not flimsy, but the Rems have much heavier barrels.

I still would like a Sendero, my safe is full of 'em anyway! Lol.
Just not sure if I wanna drop $2,400 on one. The last 2 and a custom shop model without the fluted barrel and in 5R cost $1,650 each 'cause I bought all 3.
The LR is $1,400 and the AWR is $1,650 here, a Model 70 runs $1,995 regardless of it's an EW/Featherweight. The Supergrades are $2,500 roughly.
We pay BIG prices here, and we don't know why!

Which one would you be happy buying?

Hattrick,
Thanks for the reply.
I can push 180's to 3166fps in my Kimber for hunting, so the additional velocity is not what I'm after per se', just want something different.

Cheers.

Oh, I forgot to ask what muzzle brake works best for these things?
Never had a braked rifle until I built my 338Edge and 338-416 Rigby Improved, both are custom made here and are LARGE. This time around was thinking of one the same diameter as the barrel and a pre-fit.

Any suggestions??

Cheers.

I have a 700 long range in 300rum. I put a timney trigger in mine, bedded the action and added a jp enterprises standard brake. My rifle pushes 210 vlds at 3100 fps and will shoot dime size groups all day long. Very pleased with mine .it is heavier than a sendero though. Recoil is very managable but was pretty harsh without the brake installed. Accuracy also improved with the brake installed.

No experience with the rum, but to answer ur question about stocks: the b&c is decent but not as stiff as an hs precision, but I like the fit of the m40 b&c so much better than the hs precision that I sold the Hs and still use the b&c

Don't have an opinion on the stocks, but I own a 300 RUM Rem 700 LSS bedded. The 180 or 200 Nosler accubond and Retumbo just shine in this round. Great accuracy and velocity. I've tried other bullets and while they they were also good none as good as the Noslers.

Thanks CanHunter35,
I like the B&C on my Model 70's, if the M40 stock is like my McMillan in the same configuration then I would be happy, but doubt it's to the same quality.
The AWR has a stock more like a spotter stock, so maybe I could swap them out down the road, still not sure.
I'm going down to look them over today and make a decision.

Cape Cove,
Thanks for the reply.
I use those 2 bullets for normal range hunting, and prefer the 200gr in my 300WM's. I still have over 100 180gr Accubond loaded up and use them as well in my Model 70 EW.

Cheers.

I had one for several years. Put ~6-700 rounds through it. Didn't have a brake on it because if the opportunity presented itself I didn't want to go deaf once I pulled the trigger without ear pro. Recoil was stout. I'm not recoil sensitive at all but I also don't like it. I rebarreled the action to 7mm rem mag. Got pretty much the same performance with 1/2 the recoil, 2/3rds the powder, and cheaper brass. I did have the opportunity to shoot one with a brake and, well, it was like shooting my 7mm without a brake. Don't think I'll ever go back.

Shortgrass,
Thanks for the reply.

We have one Rem importer here, they're just up the road from me, I have a good report with them and have had 'issues' dealt with in the past.
Their QC seems hit and miss just like anywhere else.
What I would like to know is if the B&C stocks are up to par. I have them on my 264/338 Model 70 EW's, they seem fine, not flimsy, but the Rems have much heavier barrels.

I still would like a Sendero, my safe is full of 'em anyway! Lol.
Just not sure if I wanna drop $2,400 on one. The last 2 and a custom shop model without the fluted barrel and in 5R cost $1,650 each 'cause I bought all 3.
The LR is $1,400 and the AWR is $1,650 here, a Model 70 runs $1,995 regardless of it's an EW/Featherweight. The Supergrades are $2,500 roughly.
We pay BIG prices here, and we don't know why!

Which one would you be happy buying?

Hattrick,
Thanks for the reply.
I can push 180's to 3166fps in my Kimber for hunting, so the additional velocity is not what I'm after per se', just want something different.

Cheers.
I have a 300 rum in a Sendero SFII. Its a great gun...I like how they look better than the Long Range. Here in the states it is a little easier, would you rather pay $300 more for the Sendero? Most the time my answer is yes. Would I pay $1000 more for a sendero over a Long Range? Hells no! The fluted barrel is cool, but not $1000 cool in my opinion. Is one more accurate than the other? I doubt it. I have had great luck with my sendero SFIIs (I have 2). I have had great luck with my SPS varmint too. I think remington is a little bit of a crap shoot when it comes to their QC. Browning just released the new X-bolt Long Range Max or something like that and I am pretty sure it comes in 300 rum. I would lean that way if it is an option.

.300RUM will put hair on your chest.

I love mine. It is my LR elk rifle. Built from a 1999 original R700 BDL SS that I shot for years. Replaced the barrel w. a 28" Rock Creek, stock w. McMillan Adj. Game Scout, trigger w. Timney CE, etc. and it is a tack driver. Or should I say a railroad spike driver. A 1:10" twist is good for up to the 230 Berger Hybrid, which is one of the two bullets I shoot in mine. The 215 Berger Hybrid is the other.

I would opt for the Sendero myself. But, if you want an LR or AWR:

LR vs. AWR:

LR has a heavier tapered (stiffer) barrel vs. the AWR
B&C vs. Grayboe stock
Heavier vs. more carry friendly

I had one for several years. Put ~800 rounds through it. Didn't have a brake on it because if the opportunity presented itself I didn't want to go deaf once I pulled the trigger without ear pro. Recoil was stout. I'm not recoil sensitive at all but I also don't like it. I rebarreed the action to 7mm rem mag. Got pretty much the same performance with 1/2 the recoil, 2/3rds the powder, and cheaper brass.

Oh and it was a Rem 700 Sendero. Otherwise it was fine from a performance standpoint, shot 1/2 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.