Lead vs lead free - what did you use last?

What did you most recently hunt big game with, lead or lead free bullets?

• Total voters
Just curious for no good reason. What did you most recently hunt big game with (and if you feel like sharing, how did it go?) - a lead free bullet or a lead core bullet of some kind? This isn't a "if you had to choose" thread…this is a "what are people actually doing right now" thread! God bless!
I was actually very surprised with the results apparently the all copper bullets are catching on, But I live in a state that does not require them so I have never checked them out

Family uses both. Barnes 127 LRX in the 6.5 Creedmoor and until I get a heavier Barnes or similar for the 6.5 PRC it's still shooting 143 ELDX.The boys both got a deer with the 127. I got an antelope and a deer. I agree that with the lead free there is less bloodshot parts. That's why initially I went to the Barnes. Was tired of seeing meat wasted even with good shot placement.
I also use the PRC to shoot steel and milk jugs out far (far for me, 1000yds) so keeping the same load for both hunting and targets at present.

Last edited:
Lead free. Watched a buddy cut up an elk that was shot this Fall with a 215 Berger, very slight quartering shot at 420. Bloodshot clear thru the shoulder with a lot of wasted meat. I've cut up a lot of antelope/deer/elk shot with mono bullets from a number of manufacturers, never wasted meat like lead core bullets result in, usually trim to the bullet hole.
That says a lot about the depth of the Hydro static shock (with mono's)which is what downs an animal to start with and getting his blood pressure to 0 completes the equation

Leaded. Took a good sized deer far closer than I had anticipated. It performed very well, as they all have over my years of hunting. One stopping shot, placed pretty well into the animal.

I guess my problem is that I have waaaay too many of the good old standard leaded bullets to load and shoot. It'll be a while before I get to try the mono's.

Lead. Nosler Ballistic Tips. 130 in the 270 and 150's in the 30-06 AI. A couple of Mulies by son and a very nice one for the grandson. Amazing performance. Often some meat loss but also very rarely take a step.

Attachments

• E4B1B386-AF6E-4C77-AC2D-2A8CF44657FC.jpeg
    E4B1B386-AF6E-4C77-AC2D-2A8CF44657FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Leaded. Took a good sized deer far closer than I had anticipated. It performed very well, as they all have over my years of hunting. One stopping shot, placed pretty well into the animal.

I guess my problem is that I have waaaay too many of the good old standard leaded bullets to load and shoot. It'll be a while before I get to try the mono's.

You can always use them for practice.....steel, and varmints. The monos, once a load is developed... very few required per season! 😉 memtb

I shot Hammers again this year. I took 4 NC whitetails that all died quickly. However, you sure don't need monos to kill whitetails. All of my previous kills with lead bullets died just as quickly.

With new bullets being released every year, who knows what I'll be shooting next year?

Though unnecessary.....they still perform the task. And, the monos provide the opportunities for shots than the ethical hunter may have to pass on.... raking shots on that big buck or that very large Black Bear that happens by only once in a lifetime!

Sometimes, that premium bullet may be justified for use as your "only" bullet! 😉 memtb