Le wilson full length dies

Just checked and Wilson full length/bushing die is not as expensive as I had thought.
Spend the extra money for the micrometer dial, you will be happy you did! They also have different bullet seating shafts for VLD type bullets and small decaping Pins for Lupua small flash hole brass.

The Forester micrometer seaters that I have work great but the numbers are to faint and hard to see for my eyes.
Are you sure you aren't confusing those with the Redding micrometers? The head on the Forster and the engraving is much larger than Redding, RCBS and Hornady micrometer heads.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0585.png
    IMG_0585.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 33
If I want to run a mandrel with the Wilson die, my understanding is I'd run a bushing a couple thou smaller than I normally would in this case I need a .335 so I'd get a .333 and use the mandrel to size it back up to my desired tension?

If you have once fired brass of the same manufacturer ( and lot for that matter ) use the below math. I'd go at least .001-.002 below the final solution as the brass may spring back if you don't annel. Then mandrel to you're desired neck tension. I highly recommend the 21st century nitrided.
Compress_20230902_094753_3298.png

208STLHD

said: Would I have to buy one separately or do I not even need it?

The neck bushing controls the ID of the neck. Redding makes them, too. I have also had RCBS dies converted for neck bushing.
Neck bushings are for OD of neck. brass neck thickness is not always consistent and sizing the OD will give inconsistent neck tension. Final step for me is a mandrel for ID.
least, thats the way I see it.

Last edited:
Looking at going with le wilson full length bushing die for my 300 prc. I see they don't come with an expander. Would I have to buy one separately or do I not even need it

Apologies if this has been mentioned. 6 fractures in multiple ribs and maube, just maybe a bit...medicated.

I've used these for a couple of different calibers. Started out back in day with RCBS dies, went full on Redding match / comp grade dies with neck sizing, and have subsequently added a 21st Century Hydraulic press with Wilson inline dies. 21st Century has a mandrel die body with interchangeble mandrels that might be worth a look-see.

With caliber specific mandrel kits in .0005" increments -

If already covered, my bad. Otherwise enjoy as applicable.

Neck bushings are for OD of neck. brass neck thickness is not always consistent and sizing the OD will give inconsistent neck tension. Final step for me is a mandrel for ID.
least, thats the way I see it.
That where the cutting of the necks for thickness come in. After the neck have been all cut thickness. You only need to use a bushing to size the neck and set tension. Or that's how I feel about it. The other is I cut the thickness of new cases after checking COAL to besure that the case all the same length. (I'll cut the case to all same length if needed) I feel that any uneveness is taken out of the neck. So a manderal isn't needed to push the uneveness back to the outside of the case and set temsion. That inturns cut down on the working of the neck.
If fired cases, I check COAL, trim, size FL, use a mandrel to push the eveness to the exterior of the case neck. Then cut the necks for thickness.

Looking at going with le wilson full length bushing die for my 300 prc. I see they don't come with an expander. Would I have to buy one separately or do I not even need it
first thing I do is match prep all brass inside neck and cut out side to 12 tho and after fist shot I put all brass through my bench sorc every firing

Attachments

• p_749004332_1.jpg
    p_749004332_1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 32
  • ntassy-3_1_3.jpg
    ntassy-3_1_3.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 36
I've been exceptionally happy with custom cut Lee neck sizing dies as a welcome addition to my forster full length and collet neck sizing dies (I use SAC collets). The Lee neck sizing dies with appropriate mandrels have helped me produce 400yd 10-shot groups under 4" with the best 5 shots of those under 2". The custom cut dies ran about $70 when ingot mine but they've been well worth it and ill get more when I have the fired brass to send in for any gun I shoot in competition. For reference, I'm not a benchrest shooter.........