Le wilson full length dies

The dies that have neck control I've seen don't have an expander. Some come as a 3 die set (neck, seater and fl size/decap/expander). Some that come that way (neck only) doesn't have the neck sizer with it and requires you to buy separately. A member on here said some companies sell them as a 2, 3 or possibly 5 button packs. Some might be proprietary?

It doesn't necessarily mean it was the only 1. Seems more of a reference for comparison on what other and/or possibilities Wilson has?
comparing other options "and/or possibilities" that Wilson has, is still specifying the Wilson brand … which is the question that you asked, and I answered … but, anyway … I'm done derailing the thread, and the OP can clarify if they're open to other brands than Wilson, which they specified in the thread title and opening post.

Last edited:
I don't really care what brand. Defiantly get a Forster micrometer seater. I like Redding dies just saw that Wilson in its reviews thought I might try it out. Just thinking if I run it and doing have an expander how am I going to fix any necks that get a little bent. It's a hunting rifle and let's face it all my necks won't stay perfectly round

If you are moving up to the precision of Wilson full lenght bushing, keep going. ID neck sizing mandrels will do what you want. Allows you to control and customize the bullet tension vs just having whatever size ball would come on an expander.
I've had excellent results with 21st Century fixtures and mandrels, I wouldn't go back to ball expanders.
Good luck in the rabbit hole 😊

L E Wilson dies are possibly overkill for a hunting rifle. I like them for my bench rest rifles, and especially for bullet seating, because they have a micrometer seating die that is very well aligned. You will need an arbor press for L E Wilson dies -- they do not have threads that allow you to screw them into a reloading press.

If you are reloading for hunting, you will find that RCBS or Redding dies are totally satisfactory, and you can (must, actually) use them in a reloading press. You will find many people on this site talking about the RCBS Rockchucker press as being very good for general reloading. Others will tell you the Bonanza co-axial press gives you better alignment between the shell holder and the dies, because the dies "float" a little in the press. I solve this dispute by having both. I find I like the leverage of the Bonanza press for really bumping shoulders or forming wildcat cartridges.

Redding has sizing dies that allow you to select neck sizing bushings that will give you exactly the amount of tension you want on your bullets. Even this is probably overkill when loading for hunting unless you are shooting at very long range.

If you are moving up to the precision of Wilson full lenght bushing, keep going. ID neck sizing mandrels will do what you want. Allows you to control and customize the bullet tension vs just having whatever size ball would come on an expander.
I've had excellent results with 21st Century fixtures and mandrels, I wouldn't go back to ball expanders.
Good luck in the rabbit hole 😊
Is the ID controlled by mandrel (in place of a button) instead of an OD type control? Is 1 supposed to be better than the other? I wish you guys would quit posting this info! You make me think about "should I do/try this"? Great! More money:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
I don't really care what brand. Defiantly get a Forster micrometer seater. I like Redding dies just saw that Wilson in its reviews thought I might try it out. Just thinking if I run it and doing have an expander how am I going to fix any necks that get a little bent. It's a hunting rifle and let's face it all my necks won't stay perfectly round
Expanding mandrel

Redding has never let me down. I only by their 3 die sets except for custom dies Kirby Allen sent with my 338AX. Otherwise Redding on my 30-06, 308, 45acp, 357 magnum etc.

Is the ID controlled by mandrel (in place of a button) instead of an OD type control? Is 1 supposed to be better than the other? I wish you guys would quit posting this info! You make me think about "should I do/try this"? Great! More money:rolleyes:.
Yes, the ID is controlled by the mandrel. You buy exactly what diameter mandrel you think you need, and that becomes (more or less, there is a little springbuck) the inner diameter of your neck. Usually .002" less than the diameter of the bullet: .306 for a .308 bullet. You could accomplish the same thing with different neck sizing collet if your neck thickness was always exactly the same, but you cannot have that unless you turn the outside of the neck. I did this for one benchrest caliber. You only have to do it once per case.

Recent Posts