Cracked full length dies!

7mmrowland

I myself have cracked 1 RCBS full length and 1 redding full bushing die in my 7mm RSAUM then my buddy chambered his gun and cracked his die also whats the deal! :confused: Any idea or thoughts would be appreciated.

Where did they crack? Did they spit down the side? That is a new one on me. Please post a pic I have never imagined this.

You must have been really camming the press hard in order to put enough stress on the dies to crack them. Setting the dies just low enough to touch the shellholder is enough to do the job, and if you still need more set-back of the shoulder you should find someone to grind the base of the die a little unless you feel you are able to this yourself. The cracked sizing dies are trash and need to be replaced. HTH.

Did you place a cheater bar over the press handle prior to driving the ram home? ;)

Never heard of anyone cracking a resizing die before.

Aftrer splitting the first one I made sure that they were'nt pressing each other and still the second one split.

Send them back and they'll probably both be replaced free of charge. I'd ask them what they believe could be the cause. Maybe they shipped out some overly brittle sizer dies? Either that or your chamber is mega-oversized?

make sure the dies are set up properly. There should be directions included. The die was probably set up too deep or something. Don't re-use them!

Send them back and they'll probably both be replaced free of charge. I'd ask them what they believe could be the cause. Maybe they shipped out some overly brittle sizer dies? Either that or your chamber is mega-oversized?
Yeah, there is something wrong with the dies themselves.

I've been loading since '71 and never heard of a cracked die until just in the last couple months, when someone else said they broke a die and then this post. I've reformed a lot of stuff, some severely, even .308s to .22-250s (don't ask) and nearly stood on handle of a Rockchucker and never broke anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.