Le wilson full length dies

L E Wilson dies are possibly overkill for a hunting rifle. I like them for my bench rest rifles, and especially for bullet seating, because they have a micrometer seating die that is very well aligned. You will need an arbor press for L E Wilson dies -- they do not have threads that allow you to screw them into a reloading press.

If you are reloading for hunting, you will find that RCBS or Redding dies are totally satisfactory, and you can (must, actually) use them in a reloading press. You will find many people on this site talking about the RCBS Rockchucker press as being very good for general reloading. Others will tell you the Bonanza co-axial press gives you better alignment between the shell holder and the dies, because the dies "float" a little in the press. I solve this dispute by having both. I find I like the leverage of the Bonanza press for really bumping shoulders or forming wildcat cartridges.

Redding has sizing dies that allow you to select neck sizing bushings that will give you exactly the amount of tension you want on your bullets. Even this is probably overkill when loading for hunting unless you are shooting at very long range.
Overkill not such thing lol. Just because it's a hunting rifle doesn't mean I don't want benchrest accuracy. I have standard rcbs dies and have had good luck with them but have also seen 8 thou neck tension. I have Redding comp and whidden dies as well and they are worth the money even for a hunting gun. Just looking at something new and a good price. Whidden sizers are to much for what they are I think.

L E Wilson dies are possibly overkill for a hunting rifle. I like them for my bench rest rifles, and especially for bullet seating, because they have a micrometer seating die that is very well aligned. You will need an arbor press for L E Wilson dies -- they do not have threads that allow you to screw them into a reloading press.

If you are reloading for hunting, you will find that RCBS or Redding dies are totally satisfactory, and you can (must, actually) use them in a reloading press. You will find many people on this site talking about the RCBS Rockchucker press as being very good for general reloading. Others will tell you the Bonanza co-axial press gives you better alignment between the shell holder and the dies, because the dies "float" a little in the press. I solve this dispute by having both. I find I like the leverage of the Bonanza press for really bumping shoulders or forming wildcat cartridges.

Redding has sizing dies that allow you to select neck sizing bushings that will give you exactly the amount of tension you want on your bullets. Even this is probably overkill when loading for hunting unless you are shooting at very long range.
Wilson full length sizing dies have threads that work in any normal press seating dies don't have threads just loaded 300 prc yesterday with Wilson dies great way to control neck tension

I don't compete in shooting,just a hunter but I too have mostly Redding,Hornady and RCBS dies.I use the Redding Bushing dies to set neck tension and a 21st century mandrell to move any neck irregularities to the outside of the neck.
I have had 1 issue with Redding dies and Redding asked me to send them the whole die set,they then sent me a brand new set at no cost.

Is it possible to use a mandrel and bushing in the same die? OR, would that cause too much drag and possibly stretch the neck? Another possibility is using both separately, but which should go 1st? I don't do prs stuff and have a good day if I can get 2 shots in 1 sq/ft 🤔 ...............usually better than that if my neck is working for me.

Hunting rifle? 100 yard or 1000 yard?
Mandrel expand for sure. ID gives more consistent neck tension. I recommend mandrel of caliber size. Depending on annealing you will get ½ to 1 thou neck tension. Beware, this might not be suitable with magazines and recoil so buy a couple mandrels under caliber till you find what works for you.

Have Wilson fl bushing dies for several cartridges, excellent stuff. They only have a heavy duty decapping pin installed, there is no expander ball. If brass neck thickness is fairly uniform, you do not need to use a mandrel. Just pick the appropriate bushing that gives the desired sized neck diameter, and seat your bullets. A mandrel can be used in it's own step after initial fl sizing to set the neck if you so feel inclined. Remember to get a smaller bushing so the mandrel has work to do in that step.

Is it possible to use a mandrel and bushing in the same die? OR, would that cause too much drag and possibly stretch the neck? Another possibility is using both separately, but which should go 1st? I don't do prs stuff and have a good day if I can get 2 shots in 1 sq/ft 🤔 ...............usually better than that if my neck is working for me.
You would not have space in the die for both bushing and mandrel, plus thickness of brass at the neck, at the same time. One will squeeze the neck down so it's a little smaller than your final size, the other expands the neck back up to your final ID.

Looking at going with le wilson full length bushing die for my 300 prc. I see they don't come with an expander. Would I have to buy one separately or do I not even need it
no you will just use bushing inserts here is a place you can get all your info on how ect and brass prep along with neck turing ect https://www.accurateshooter.com/

Attachments

• 15219635_529008073955917_4076049507985821146_n.jpg
    15219635_529008073955917_4076049507985821146_n.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 43
I don't really care what brand. Defiantly get a Forster micrometer seater. I like Redding dies just saw that Wilson in its reviews thought I might try it out. Just thinking if I run it and doing have an expander how am I going to fix any necks that get a little bent. It's a hunting rifle and let's face it all my necks won't stay perfectly round
The Forester micrometer seaters that I have work great but the numbers are to faint and hard to see for my eyes.

I use Wilson dies , not full length but neck sizer only. I have my gunsmith buy the blank Wilson dies and ream them with the same reamer he uses to cut the chamber of my barrels. Wilson die system is much faster than the other die systems. They outside neck size. if you want to neck them tighter than desired inside neck tension, you will have to buy the mandrels to resize to desired neck tension, I do not do that process. I neck size only and only full length when I need to bump shoulders back. I prefer fire formed and neck size only, just my preference. You will love the Wilson dies .

Last edited:
I have all LE Wilson FL sizer dies with short action customs bushings. Switch to these a few years ago for precision rifles. I take out the decaping pin ( use a mighty armory decaper ) and mandrel with a 21st century after they've been cleaned. If you decide to go with these and want the best bushing have calipers and once fired brass on hand and call short action customs they will steer you in the right direction. Wonderful dies.

Recent Posts