Last build complete/Quick on/off muscle brake

hammertyme

After 40 years my last handgun build is finished. Thank to Benchmark Barrels in Washington the muscle brake is quickly oriented or taken off for cleaning.

Handgun pictured is a 375 RUM and should take care of all my hunting needs regardless of where I hunt. It was set up specifically to shoot 235gr Barnes and 260 grain Noslers.

002-4.jpg

001-7.jpg

SavageFamilyofRUMS.jpg

Left to right 375 RUM; 338 Edge;[email protected] pounds and Lisa's 338WSM @6.2 pounds as viewed.
Savage Striker Action
Benchmark 3 groove 19" barrel
finish is Ferratic Nitride
shoots like all Benchmark barrels'" into one ragged hole".
235gr Barnes and 100 grs of Reloader 17 @ well past 3000fps

Neal

Last edited:
The way you decided on attaching that muscle break intrigues me. How tight do you torque the screw and does it stay in place through multiple firings?

Thanks Jason

Jason
It is actually threaded on my 375 RUM! so one can orient the flat brake simply by turning where you want it and tightening the screw.
I suppose if one was to mount on a custom barrel that was actually true and round it would stay nicely. Torque- just snug enough to keep it located.

Neal

Last edited:
I'm surprised you can shoot that large of a cartridge out of a pistol. Can you shoot the 375 RUM without the break? I've never fired a 375 RUM or a high-powered pistol but I would assume that level of recoil would be very hard to handle with just your wrist taking the recoil.

Cool guns, I've been interested in them for backpack hunting.

I went to light carry a couple decades ago. These guns are every bit as accurate as any rifle outside the benchrest arena. There are two of the guns on the right side of the picture that weigh under 7 pounds as seen with Lisa's 338 at 6.2 pounds.

Recoil on any RUM cartridge with the 375 at the top of the list should effectively break both wrist bones without the breaks!

Neal

Neal
That makes much more sense that the break is threaded. I couldnt figure out how it would stay on with just that little screw holding it.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.