Muscle brake?

captain cox

has anyone used one or heard anything about them? or if you havent is there a brake you would reccomend for my edge build?

I've got one on my 300 rum and it's awesome at recoil reduction and really keeps the blast off the shooter. I've got another one fixing to be on my 7stw build.

Nathan

I primarily use the Muscle Brake. I've put them on several calibers from 204 Ruger to 338 Chey-Tac. Great functionality of the brake is it takes the back blast away from the shooter. A very clean looking brake and beautifully machined.

I have one of Jim's Brakes too and will be using more in the future. You won't be disappointed with a muscle brake.

I'm wondering why anybody would put a muzzle brake on a .204 Ruger???

I have a 4-16X scope on my .204 Ruger CZ 527 Varmint, and no problem spotting hits at high power.

I suspect the Muscle Brake assaults your ears just as well as any other muzzle brake does, so can't see using one on a caliber that doesn't need it.

It might increase accuracy, if 7/8" groups at 200 yards ever proves inadequate for me.

The muscle brake was on a Savage Striker pistol chambered in .204 Ruger. Off the bench with a bi-pod it jumped about 2" vertically upon recoil not allowing the shooter to spot his shots. I installed a mini muscle brake and drilled 1 top port hole. Now the bi-pod legs don't even leave the bench top surface and he can spot his own shots. I took some video of this with the brake off and on check it out.

watch

Last edited:
I'm wondering why anybody would put a muzzle brake on a .204 Ruger???

I have a 4-16X scope on my .204 Ruger CZ 527 Varmint, and no problem spotting hits at high power.

I suspect the Muscle Brake assaults your ears just as well as any other muzzle brake does, so can't see using one on a caliber that doesn't need it.

It might increase accuracy, if 7/8" groups at 200 yards ever proves inadequate for me.

Actually on the center grip Striker one can not see hits through a scope when the weapon is unbraked

Braking many times has nothing to do with recoil. Many brake for the cool factor. An example would be the guys with 12 pound-20 pound 223's and 308's.

Two weekends ago I did a first and FORGOT to put on hearing protection when shooting a 6.5WSM 19" barreled handgun. A slight breeze was blowing from behind me. No ouch. Not ringing. No discomfort associated from concussion. It was load and I immediately recognized the issue and put the protection on. I DO NOT SUPPORT SHOOTING ANYTHING WITHOUT PROTECTION>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz8aMUsqM8k&feature=player_embedded

Neal

I can shoot a few rounds through my .204 Ruger without hearing protection without damaging my hearing. That is why I own one. Can't do that with my brother-in-law's .22-250, even when I'm 10 feet away from him when firing. And, my .204 Ruger has similar ballistics to a .22-250.

I once had an M1 Tanker Garand with a muzzle brake from a BM59. As if shooting from a 16" barrel wasn't loud enough already. I forgot to put on hearing protection one day, and one shot had my ears ringing all day. The gun went up for sale. It would be dangerous for hunting or self defense without hearing protection.

I controll recoil in .308 Winchester by firing it through an FN FAL, not by adding a muzzle brake. I also have faster follow up shots and more reliable loading than guys who have bolt guns and muzzle brakes. My 1 MOA accuracy means that no matter how accurate their rifle is, it is no more accurate under handheld field conditions on the first shot than mine, and I have faster follow up shots and more of them. And my ears probably ring a lot less than theirs.

Actually, I already have hearing loss from military service, and I don't want any more. I receive compensation for it. Muzzle brakes have zero appeal for me. The .308 Winchester cartridge will kill any game animal in North America when placed in a vital spot, and an FN FAL will allow you to fire hundreds of rounds in a day with absolutely no sore shoulder at the end of the day if you choose to do so. I have no flinch from firing an FN FAL as it does the punishment on the FRONT side of the barrel, not the rear side.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.