Largest Grizzly/Brown bear areas

I have brown bear hunted twice in Alaska. The largest concentration of bears in Alaska is on the Alaskan Peninsula. The bears there also tend to be the largest in body size. The bears on Kodiak tend to be smaller in body but larger in skull size. The Alaskan Peninsula also has more bears than Kodiak. It is not unusual to see 5 to 10 bears a day. I also have a friend that was an outfitter for Russian bear hunts, while you could shoot 2 bears in Russia, they tend to be a bit smaller. I ended up hunting both times with Tracy Vrem with Blue Mountain Lodge and took great bears both times. a 9'-8" and a 10'-2", the 10'-2" made Boone & Crockett. I had a buddy with me the first hunt and he took a 10'-4" that also made B&C. Both of my hunts were fall hunts, in the fall you will see many more bears than in the spring. On my last hunt there was a client hunting with Tracy that had been to Kodiak 3 times and never taken a bear, he took a nice 10' bear with Tracy. He has a 100% opprotunity rate. As long as you can do your job, you will get a bear with Tracy. I saw over 20 adult bears on my first hunt before I took mine and my 10'-2" bear was the 3rd adult I had seen on my 2nd hunt. Just because you see one, does not mean you will get a chance to kill it as the bears are moving around quite a bit in the fall looking for food. But Tracy's area has a late Silver Salmon run and the bears are still concentrated around the streams which helps out.

Shoot me a PM if you would like some more info.

tp
Holy hell

Headed there for May!
just read this post by 69 firebird...what a ignorant and arrogant thing..asks for help as he obviously has zero experience in this area and then acts above others advise...a small narrow minded mental midget of a supposed man

1HiuGu8.jpg

Squared an honest 9' 5"

What was the weight on that bear 69firebird? That's awesome !

Also. What was the weight of the bear in the video? I'm seeing either 1411 or 1417. Can't make it out. I'm assuming that's in kilograms? Which would be roughly 640lbs.

We had no way to weigh it. Only the hide and skull went in the plane back to the main camp.

I see. I have no concept of skull sizes or hide sizes to make a comparison in my mind. I wouldn't even begin to try and guess how much those bears weigh. I just know that I saw one in Alberta last year that made every other grizzly I've ever seen (hiking, not hunting) look puny.

My largest brown bear was 8ft hide and 26" skull, was in the neighborhood of 700lbs. was a real pain to roll by myself during the skin out. the hide, skull and back straps weighed about 200lbs alone. I think if they were dry but still green it would've still be 175lbs easy.

That's amazing that hide, skull, and backstraps weighed more than me! So what do you guys do with the rest of the bear? I have no idea what the process is. Also, do you have any pics of the skull? Thanks for the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.