Largest Grizzly/Brown bear areas

Do your homework and once narrowing your choices to two or more, ask for past clients both successful and unsuccessful. I have been fortunate enough to have taken grizzlies from the Alaskan Range, brown bear from both Kodiak and the peninsular. The most recent was archery on the peninsular.

Nothing to compare hunting these great bear.

Most likely my .340 with a 250gr partition. Bait? Pretty sure they are foraging greens or dead animals on the beach in the spring then salmon in the fall. And as for scouting google and topo maps are going to have to do.

Right now I've got it down under 6 on the peninsula and going to check references. Everyone has large exclusive guide areas and takes under 6 hunters a season.

I'm leaning towards the guys who are there 3 seasons of the year. That leaves 3.

Could I request what three seasons they are referring to, Moose, Caribou, Bear for example....???

Game Unit #9 Has a spring bear season every "Other" year, and a fall bear season every "Other" year. Each year has only one season, either spring or fall.

I'm leaning towards the guys who are there 3 seasons of the year. That leaves 3.

Could I request what three seasons they are referring to, Moose, Caribou, Bear for example....???

Game Unit #9 Has a spring bear season every "Other" year, and a fall bear season every "Other" year. Each year has only one season, either spring or fall.

There's 4 season (spring, summer, fall, and winter last time I checked) in a calendar year. Some of these guys are there for all 3 seasons wether it's Eco tourism, fishing, and hunting. I'd hope they'd have a better idea of animals around compared to the fellows that only fly in for the few weeks of bear hunting and leave again.

Edit- some just get to camp and operate for the bear season

There's 4 season (spring, summer, fall, and winter last time I checked) in a calendar year. Some of these guys are there for all 3 seasons whether it's Eco tourism, fishing, and hunting. I'd hope they'd have a better idea of animals around compared to the fellows that only fly in for the few weeks of bear hunting and leave again.

I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on that criterion alone. Some of the folk that live out there could be drunk most of the time they're out there.

I had two hunting lodges in unit #9 (Alaska Peninsula). One on Lake Clark and one in the King Salmon area. Guided the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak Island for near 40 years. Good luck on your hunt. I am done trying to be helpful on this thread.

There's 4 season (spring, summer, fall, and winter last time I checked) in a calendar year. Some of these guys are there for all 3 seasons wether it's Eco tourism, fishing, and hunting. I'd hope they'd have a better idea of animals around compared to the fellows that only fly in for the few weeks of bear hunting and leave again.

I had two hunting lodges in unit #9 (Alaska Peninsula). One on Lake Clark and one in the King Salmon area. Guided the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak Island for near 40 years. Good luck on your hunt. I am done trying to be helpful on this thread.
Dang! I'd listen to AGL4now. He could teach your prospective guides some things about brown bear hunting.

lol cause he's been so helpful in his prior posts

I started trying to be helpful in the very second post, and you ignored me. If you carefully reread all my posts they were all attempts to help you. The only post in which you choose to respond to me, you were "rude" and "curt" and "sarcastic". Enjoy your hunt.

The second post to this thread:

"There are basically three "VERY" different methods of determining Largest in reference to Brown Bears. Body weight.......Skull size........squared fresh (green) hide. They are not each related to the other, however body weight and squared hide could be somewhat related each to the other. Even here one needs to consider that a bear with 12" of fat in the fall would weigh less then the same size bear with little fat storage, fat weighing little compared to red meat muscle."

"I have a small amount of experience in this area."

Deleted, by AGL4now
I don't blame you. I'm checking out also. The member asks for help, and then criticizes the responses. Good riddance.

On another note, I did remember to apply for the Alaska Drawing Permit hunts yesterday. One day to spare!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.