Largest Grizzly/Brown bear areas

Between the Alaska Department of Commerce, APHA, and Fish and Game, and online outfitter reports. I'm getting a good bunch of info on guys in 8,9, and 10.

Before I even start making phone calls

As far as Kodiak bears, yes it has to come from the Kodiak Archipelago to be considered as such. It is technically just a brown bear, the same as the peninsula or Kenai Penninsula. While I haven't hunted those areas, I've taken a couple bears in central alaska and will say the big ones are coastal. My two came from the mountains, and while very respectable, pale in comparison to the salmon fed bears of the coast. I'd vote fall for opportunity and hide quality. IN the spring you have to catch them before they rub, or they'll have poor fur. Both of my bears came from October and have very soft thick coats.

Check out Afognak Wilderness Lodge, they have an excellent record for large bears and excellent hunting accommodations. They're on Afognak and do a great job getting people on giant coastal bears.

I worked in Anchorage with a close friend of the Randall's, and he never had anything but good things to say. I always remember during the fall, he would show me pictures from them about every other day of huge bears they had taken. I'd go there with confidence.

Ya that bear looked to only be another gun length away when the guide shot it. The client didn't look to thrilled afterwards. I was thinking he should have arrowed it another time when it was walking broadside before it turned and charged. BUT I wasn't there lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts