Lapua vs Bertram brass, 338 Lapua vs EDGE.

ZAR LRH

Guys, just scrapped my 338 Norma build based on the soft Norma brass when shooting high pressure load. So decided to go for the Lapua based on the reputation of the Lapua brass until I started reading about the new Bertram brass for the EDGE. How does the Bertram brass compare to the Lapua brass? Both in quality and how they will be able to handle pressure?

Bertram brass is really good but you lose some velocity because it has less capacity then Remington brass. I personally think a Edge is more accurate than a 338 Lapua on average.

If your willing to go through some effort Graf and Sons has 423 Dakota brass made by Lapua. It would be the cats meow for your 338 Norma but it would take some effort to get it to 338. I shoot it in my 30-338 Norma Imp and it is tough stuff. I turned Swamplord on to it and he cross section some next to the Norma brass. It's quite a bit thicker in the base and handles pressure much better.

But is it the thickness that makes Lapua brass so durable, with regard to pressure, or is it the metallurgical make up of Lapua brass that makes it "tougher" ??

I don't know. I just know Lapua brass, in all the different cartridges I've used, will take more abuse than any other brass I've used.

I would bet it is some of each but I originally built on the Norma mag case because people said the brass was good. Well it's like any other brass really and nothing like Lapua or RWS brass. In cross section the base of the Lapua cases are noticeably thicker than the Norma cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts