ADG vs Peterson vs Lapua Brass

Old rooster

I never thought of enlarging the flash hole highdrum.
I only have a few left and will try that.
Do you use a flash hole deburring tool or drill it out?
Old Rooster

highdrum

I never thought of enlarging the flash hole highdrum.
I only have a few left and will try that.
Do you use a flash hole deburring tool or drill it out?
Old Rooster
Alpha and the Hornady srp brass use large flash hole. Lapua, Peterson use small and the strongly advise NOT to open them up. Although I really see nothing wrong with the idea. I have not tried it yet, as I haven't had any issues. I have not shot in sub zero temps yet.

A guy I know was shooting his 22gt with stabal and srp Hornady brass, cci450 primers and didn't have any issues in -15 Montana weather a few weeks ago.

jasonco

LRH Team Member
I have opened the Peterson SRP 6.5CM primer up and no problems in cold temps. I use them in two 6.5CM rifles, with ARMatch primer & RL17, at max charge.

Wyosam

You can wring out every last FPS, or you can have good brass life. If I want more FPS than I can get with good brass life, there is almost certainly a different cartridge that makes far more sense to get there with. People beat the heck out of the poor 6.5 Creedmoor case trying make it do things it doesn’t want to do. The 6.5-284 or several other cartridges will get you there (and more) without the pressure. No reason in the world to toss Lapua brass with less than 10 firings on it. I had a batch of 223 rem with 13-14 firings on it. I hadn’t had any split necks, loose pockets or other losses yet, so I decided to fire form 100 to 223ai just to see how they’d take it. Not a single loss, so they are going into the rotation on that barrel. Good brass is expensive and can be impossible to find at times, why wreck it? Switching to other expensive brass to wreck doesn’t solve the problem...

jasonco

LRH Team Member
You can use Hornady 6.5CM brass and get 7-8 firings, before the primer pockets, give it up, and people say it's crap brass too. My $1/case Alpha 25 Creed brass, gave it up at 3-4 firings. The Starline SRP 6.5CM, necked to 25CM, is out lasting the Alpha, at $0.60/case. I just put an order into Grafs for 100 Peterson SRP 25CM cases, because Peterson works.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.